cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Teaching to tow?

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any tips on teaching a brand new RVer how to tow? I've towed pretty much all my driving life. Grew up in a construction company towing equipment trailers (backhoes, dozers), pole trailers (65'), horse trailers, goose neck, 5th wheel, bumper pull, had bumper pull and 5th wheel RVs most of my adult life ...

But my kids just bought a bumper pull toy hauler and I'm almost at a loss on where to start trying to teach them "how to tow".

Kind of like "I've been doing it so long I don't know how to verbalize it?"
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er
21 REPLIES 21

cohendan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for these insights. I've been learning how to drive with a towed trailer after we installed a fifth wheel hitch on my Ford F-150 earlier this month. It might take me a while to adjust but I think I can handle it pretty well. I find it hard during nighttime so I might as well compromise and do certain adjustments regarding the lights.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Teach them to be unapologetically assertive. I don't mean be a bully. I mean to confidently hug the center line for making a wide right hand turn.. Signaling well in advance and make a clean swift lane change.
Teach them to use the amount of road they need.
Make them understand that every driver behind them hates their guts,just for being in the way,and to be prepared to avoid or defend.
Teach them that other drivers will tailgate and can't be seen in the mirrors. Depending on the conditions you can use shadows to tell if anyone is behind you. Teach them to keep a good eye on the mirror for trucks overtaking them and to get a firm grip on the wheel. Most trucks are non events, but every once in a while a particular truck will suck/push like a mofo. Not good for it to be a surprise!

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good tips - appreciate it. I hope to get a couple of sessions with them both, and our first trip is a family outing.

The toyhauler will be loaded lighter than typical, as my grandson has a power wheelchair that will be the typical cargo. They do have a side by side that will go on some trips, so we'll have to practice with both loading configurations.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
When they are just everyday driving, tell them to use the side mirrors on their cars. Learn what the side mirrors are showing you. When they back up, tell them to practice NOT looking over their shoulder.

When they have a spotter helping them to back up, have the spotter tell them which direction they want the rear of the trailer to go, try not to tell the driver which way to turn the wheels.

Obey the speed limits, especially on side roads and roads they don't know.

There are thousands of tips for towing... as others said, nothing beats practice.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
if they are smart they will be ok. pointers to give,

-it takes a lot longer to stop, react, swerve ect. leave some space.
-trailer tires dont like to drive 88 mph (flux capacitors are not common in campers anyway)
- backing up takes patience and practice. spend some time in an empty lot
-watch departure angles
-watch cutting corners too tight the trailer will cut them tighter
-pay attention for a way out when pulling into stops (gas stations can suck)
-check tires with every stop
-chocks before unhooking not after
-a pre departure checklist is a good idea (every time, ask me how I know)
-plan for much poorer fuel economy
- as much as you may want to kill your spouce when being guided into a site, dont. prison is a bad time
-stuff will happen, fix it and move on
-with time in the seat they will get used to it
-plan a family camping trip to show them the ropes. their toy hauler should hold lots of beverages

happy camping
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta jump in, toy hauler axles are set farther back, so they don't corner or track the same as a regular trailer. Everything you learned towing regular trailers has to be adjusted. I actually came here because I wanted tips for teaching my daughter to tow. Her new to her trailer arrives here June 30th. Thanks to all that have chimed in, I need all the help I can get.
2007 Dodge QC 4x4 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD
2014 Stealth BP TH
2017 Harley Ultra Limited

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
"Tell the kids to drive slower than they are used to, and then slow down even more."

x2. Very important.

x3

A lot of knowledge comes from just doing it. A professional truck driving school may have have a RV course available.

Backing... you either get it or you only use pull through spots.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, it has been so long ago since my tow daughters learned to tow makes me feel even older than I am.
Oldest daughter lived and worked with horses on the east coast for a couple years and hauled 4 to 6 horse GN trailers. Youngest has a 2 horse and 4 horse slants, the 4 horse has a small living quarters. They started with a 2 horse side by side, hardest trailer to backup with a club cab long bed PU.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t forget to talk about tail swing and donโ€™t keep going forward if they get in a bind, last fall I help a guy from tearing off his second side fender by going into a tight campground and not knowing his clearances
Winnebago Access 24V

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Start in a big empty parking lot. Have them drive around, make turns, back up, get up to 20-25mph then slam on the brakes. Get the basics of how it handles at slow speeds so mistakes are less likely to be dangerous.

Then figure a nearby route maybe 10-20 miles long with light traffic and minimal hills. Take them along that route with you driving explaining what you are doing as you go. Then switch and have each of them drive it (yes, they should both learn).

Then being in Colorado, I assume you can find a moderately hilly area, so they can practice with grades and how to engine brake. Again, start with you driving and explaining followed by them taking a turn.

Being a toy hauler, make sure they have a toy or other weight in the back as they tend to be highly front loaded with an empty garage. You don't want them learning with a rig not set up properly.

By this point, they should have a decent idea of how it handles and from there practice will be their best learning tool.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Do you have a flatbed trailer that isnโ€™t so susceptible to whisky dents for training?
Better visibility to begin to understand where the trailer is at when backing up.
Unless theyโ€™re inept drivers (not saying they are, but some people couldnโ€™t drive a golf cart without running something over), just have them drive around with light traiffic or rural area and practice. You can be the backseat driver for reals.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Tell the kids to drive slower than they are used to, and then slow down even more."

x2. Very important.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Tell the kids to drive slower than they are used to, and then slow down even more.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You just gotta get out there and practice. Some people are good right out of the gate, some people it takes time and other never get.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!