cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Pressure

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's the consensus on Max tire pressure when towing 10K. Generally I run max tire pressure as rated on the tire for both the trailer and tow vehicle, with the exception of the front tires on the tow vehicle I run about 5 lbs under max tire rated pressure because I think the front runs a little light when towing.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
12 REPLIES 12

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
So, if they add an additional camp chair or another flat of water bottles, do they weigh the trailer and inflate accordingly? Why make it so difficult? Just inflate to max cold recommendation and be done.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It depends on the tire installed, and the tires on truck, are usually not the same type as trailer. Most RV trailer tires are ST, and just adequate when oem installed. These I run at max pressure, no matter the load. With the truck tires, it is more important to go with the psi, according to the load. My door sticker shows 75 front 80 rear, which I use when towing heavy. When unloaded, I keep the front near the 75 psi, but lower the rear to 65-70 psi.

Some people way over tire their RV trailer tires, then reduce the air to suit the load. Usually going from oem D-rated 65 psi, to an E-rated tire is not a problem. I would still run the Es at full 80 psi to take advantage of the extra capacity, and keep them running cooler. replacing a D with a G makes no sense, and no, you wouldn't want to run them at 110 psi

Jerry

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
KD4UPL wrote:
If you run more pressure than the load calls for it can wear the tires out in the center faster than the edges. I had that problem on my 2500 Suburban. The tires are rated for 80 psi. The door placard calls for the rear tires to be 71 psi. I was running them at 65 psi because I know I'm not near max axle weight. The rear tires were wearing out in the center so I lowered it to 55psi.
According to the load inflation table that's all I need to carry the weight I've got on the rear tires so that makes it the proper pressure. Running 80 psi would be an incredibly harsh ride and wear the tires out worse.
You need to weight your axles, consult the chart, and inflate accordingly. Any other method is a guess and likely wrong.

I never worry over much about how rough the ride is for my trailer. I know the enemy of tires is heat. Tire flex makes heat. And I know that a tire inflated to max pressure will flex less than one set at a lower pressure for any given load. Will the underloaded/overinflated tires wear in the center? Likely, but who wears out the tread on RV tires?
And before somebody goes into a rant about the damage the rough ride might do to trailer, look at the damage a blown tire does.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I run load and inflation table pressure. Sometimes that is โ€œmax psiโ€ depending on the load.

If you change tire load index or size from what is on the sticker the sticker no longer applies.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Thats half right and half wrong.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

superbyrd53
Explorer
Explorer
I spoke with a Bridgestone engineer a few years ago about tire pressure. Engineer said to run tires at max (cold) air. He advised running max air will eliminate possible blowouts. Just do not go over weight rating for tires. I also asked, if I run max air, will the tires blow with they heat up while driving. Engineer said tire will not blow. The tires are built to handle the max (cold) air.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will probably depend on the tire size, the rating, and actual load on the tire.

Running max pressure unnecessarily can result in a very rough ride.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you run more pressure than the load calls for it can wear the tires out in the center faster than the edges. I had that problem on my 2500 Suburban. The tires are rated for 80 psi. The door placard calls for the rear tires to be 71 psi. I was running them at 65 psi because I know I'm not near max axle weight. The rear tires were wearing out in the center so I lowered it to 55psi.
According to the load inflation table that's all I need to carry the weight I've got on the rear tires so that makes it the proper pressure. Running 80 psi would be an incredibly harsh ride and wear the tires out worse.
You need to weight your axles, consult the chart, and inflate accordingly. Any other method is a guess and likely wrong.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I have always ran the max psi on my trailers whether a fiver or tag. I have never had a problem with doing that. As far as weighing each side or each tire some do some don't. I fall into the latter group. Tires run cooler at or near max psi. Just my opinion.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I tow 19,000 pounds and don't run max air pressure, never have. Air pressure is a function of weight being carried. If I'm not carrying max weight then why run max pressure?

My trailer tires have best wear pattern at 70 PSI. My truck sticker says 70 up front and 65 in the rear duallies. It's what works for me.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Weight the axles and set the pressure according to the tire mfg load inflation tables.

I've often weighted at the free OR scales.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The pressure that gives the tire its max weight capacity.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad