cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires Again

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Finding a tire dealer in the area that knows tires for a TT is horrible. After reading posts, I went looking for Maxxis or Marathon. I know I want radial, not the lousy bias I got on the new TT. Finally found one store that has Goodyear Marathon Red Eagle; ST205/75R14 at 107.65 each. No one has ever heard of Maxxis. Other stores have said to go with: Hecules, ST205/75R six ply at 63.87 per tire. Another, Carlisle steel belted radial at 160.84 each. Another said; Trailer King ST205/7514 (says they are steel belted) radial "C" range at 350 for 4 mounted. I thought you must have "D) range. Finally, another dealer said go with Super Cargo 6 ply radial for 79.95 each.

Okay folks, give me feedback. What to do based on your experience.
27 REPLIES 27

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=27&g=3

Interco Trailer Trac Radial.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
The Carlstar Group is headquartered in Franklin, Tennessee manufacturing in 5 countries and includes Carlisleยฎ tires and wheels.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
coolbreeze01 wrote:
diesel man 03 wrote:
I don't think Maxxis is an American tire.

You are correct. What brand tires do you buy?

Final manufacture in Thailand using Chinese rubber and components. They and Carlisle have the same suppliers of many of the parts.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
It would help if those posting they bought a certain tire brand is to tell folks which line or type of tires they bought.
Carlisle for example has 6 lines of ST tires for trailers on their website.

For the new Carlisle Radial Trail HD line see http://www.carlstargroup.com/product/tires/trailers-toy-haulers-towables/radial-trail-hd

Good point. The Carlisles I bought are the Radial Trail RH ST205/75R15/8 load range D, speed rating N, for $47 each from Walmart. I also bought new rims as my trailer was equipped with 14" tires originally. We are going on a road trip in August of nearly 4000 miles and I will report back after the trip.
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would pass on the ST tires and buy LT Load Range E tires if it was my trailer. If necessary I would buy 15 or 16 inch rims to fit the LT tires.
But, that is just my opinion.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
diesel man 03 wrote:

You are correct. What brand tires do you buy?
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

diesel_man_03
Explorer
Explorer

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
It would help if those posting they bought a certain tire brand is to tell folks which line or type of tires they bought.

It would also help if people posting took a look at the sidewall of the tire and mentioned where it was manufactured, as most ST tires, including Maxxis are Chinese made (I said most, not all, some are made in Thailand, and a few other places, possibly even the US)

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of that stuff sounds good, but I wonder how old the tires are(manufacture date).

Mine are 3 months old. This place sells a LOT of tires.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
I just bought a set of four Kenda Karrier 205/75R15 tires, mounted on new white painted steel wheels, from these guys: https://www.johnsonssurplus.com/

Shipped they are $90 each, but if you are close enough to drive to White Pigeon, MI, it's $68 out the door. They also have all sorts of RV salvage--I've never seen so many doors, furnaces, AC units, and water heaters--as well as new, hard to find items like exterior corner moldings, hitch replacement parts, brake drums and backing plate assemblies, etc. A lot of this stuff isn't on the website, you have to call them.

A lot of that stuff sounds good, but I wonder how old the tires are(manufacture date).

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
After checking with the local tire shops they could not source Maxxis Load Range E. I told them that I could get them from Amazon. They said to buy them online and they would mount/balance for me(for a fee). I still saved money.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a set of four Kenda Karrier 205/75R15 tires, mounted on new white painted steel wheels, from these guys: https://www.johnsonssurplus.com/

Shipped they are $90 each, but if you are close enough to drive to White Pigeon, MI, it's $68 out the door. They also have all sorts of RV salvage--I've never seen so many doors, furnaces, AC units, and water heaters--as well as new, hard to find items like exterior corner moldings, hitch replacement parts, brake drums and backing plate assemblies, etc. A lot of this stuff isn't on the website, you have to call them.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

For the new Carlisle Radial Trail HD line see http://www.carlstargroup.com/product/tires/trailers-toy-haulers-towables/radial-trail-hd
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought five 205 75 R15/8 Carlisle Load D tires from walmart.com for $255.00 unmounted. Buying new rims to upgrade from 14" tires. Since I have had Carlisle's on other trailers I have confidence in them as I have never had a problem.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.