cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires & Shocks

VincentL
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Honda Ridgeline and plan on towing a 2019 R-Pod that weights approximately 2967lbs. I am asking if certain tires and shocks can help with the towing. Also my old hitch was for larger and heavier TT and would like to change it. Any suggestions?...Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
I have found over the years that a more road performance tire is better. I used to tow with a 1996 Buick Roadmaster station wagon. It had aftermarket rims with 245/60R17 all season Michelin's on it. They were okay, but then I switched to 235/65VR17 tires that were Bridgestone high performance summer tires. They were a huge improvment. With my larger trailer and 3/4 ton Suburban, I originally had 245/75R16 Michelin LTX2 All season tires, they worked really well. I then bought aftermarket rims and put on Cooper AT3 tires in size 265/65R18. Both were load range E. The All terrain tires have a LOT more tread squirm and are not as stable. But they are much better in sand!

As for shocks or struts, the firmer the better. But most importantly, make sure they are in good condition. If they are original, I'd consider replacing them if you plan to keep the vehicle, even if they seem okay. They have probably degraded. If they really seem fine, just try them first and see how they work.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Vincent, one other thing. The 2967# seems very specific. Is this the dry weight? You will want to base any decisions on the gross weight of the trailer, or at least the max weight you will have if not gross.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your trailer is within Honda specs as outlined in your owner manual for weight, hitch weight, and total frontal area try towing it without changing anything first.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jack1776 wrote:
I haven't really done any significant towing with it yet. Also it indicated I got for relies but could only view one. Vincent

If you are talking about the replies here, try doing a refresh on your computer screen. Or you could jump to a different forum then come back.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Jack1776
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't really done any significant towing with it yet. Also it indicated I got for relies but could only view one. Vincent

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
The tires should be ok but if you want to get new ones I would look for the same size and type that came on it. New shocks on the truck would probably help as they are getting a bit long in the tooth.

For a hitch, the Andersen hitch might be a perfect fit. Easy to use and lightweight to move around. Would probably reduce any tendency for the rig to porpoise - especially if the shocks are worn on the truck.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like the 2012 Ridgeline has a strut rear suspension, so it isnโ€™t a matter of simply changing shocks.

A lighter WDH would probably help a lot.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see much improvement on a rig that light that would not cause more problems.
You could go to LT tires,but I am sure that you are no where near the capacity of the P's that you are probably running now. Lt's would probably harsh your ride for anything other than towing. Some companies do make LT's in a "D" range or one of the new "SUV" tires.
Probably just new shocks would help/
Is their a particular complaint that you have about the performance?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
2967 pounds dry? If so, add water, propane, batteries and stuff and youโ€™ll be over 3700.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
New tires and shocks do not increase tow vehicle max towing weight or payload nor do they level the tow vehicle or trailer. Tire weight limits need to be adequate to carry the proposed weight of the tow vehicle and of the trailer. Weighing the tow vehicle and trailer fully loaded is the only way to determine weights accurately. Old tires are dangerous as are under inflated tires. Shocks are partly responsible for stability and ride comfort.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Trailer isn't heavy enough for tires to make a difference as long as they're in decent shape. Air em up and go.
Shocks are 8 years old so whether towing or not, shocks may improve handling.
But again, little trailer = not much effect on handling.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold