cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toad on a Dolly

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. 1st Class A motor home coming soon. Need to get my car set up to tow on a dolly with surge brakes. I think I would rather flat tow. But the wife is suddenly getting frugal and wants try towing with a dolly. Easy for her to say!

RV >> Thor Challenger 37YT
Car >> 2014 Honda CRV
Tow dolly has surge brakes.

So, I want to pre-wire the CRV to use brake lights, turn signals, etc and not use the lights on the dolly when towing.

Also I want to charge the CRV battery from the RV power when towing.

Would like to use the RV 7 pin connector with a cable that plugs in to a socket on the front of the CRV. Only 1 cable if possible. I was told that the RV 7 pin connector is prewired with a 12 volt hot wire that could be used to charge the car battery.

So, what parts do I need?

Can this be done?

Is this posted in the right place???

Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it both way never again with a tow dolly 4 wheels down for me also. Also with a tow dolly you only get the dolly's brakes with 4 wheels down you get all 4 wheel brakes. And with stupid people cutting you off taking up you stopping distances you have then don't it helps believe me.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
According to the FMCA dinghy guide, your CRV is flat=towable. Never would I do otherwise. We have fulltimed for 15 years and RV'd towing flat for probably 30 years. We bought a tow dolly one time. . . took it back the next day. Borrowed a different one, tried it, and decided not to do that. Regardless of the cost, the ease of setup with flat=towable is worth towing flat. It's easier and it's quick. We have towed a variety of vehicles. . . my favorites were the Aerostar vans (2), a Dodge colt, a Mazda GLC, a Ford Sportrac and now a Ford Flex. Normally my DH sets the vehicles up for towing, but this last time we paid to have it done on the Flex. It was $1300 for the base plate including installation and wiring. Works like a charm.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably a moot point since the OP has canceled their purchase, but....

I've dolly towed for over ten years, and never installed lights other than what was already on the dolly...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to cancel purchase of the dolly. Will now investigate flat towing.

Thanks for all your good advise and wisdom!

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to keep in mind is the laws of the state you are driving in concerning the lights. In some states, the dolly lights must be used, because of the distance between the side of the car and the dolly fenders. The car must have lights or reflectors on the rear because of the distance between the end of the car and the dolly lights. Reciprocity probably does not apply; just because you are legal in your state does not mean you will be legal in all states!
We towed our PT cruiser from Billings to Chattanooga and back, on an old Demco dolly. In all RV parks except one we got a pull-through site. No problems.
The Jeep, of course, is towed four down.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
Suggest you tell the wife that she is responsible for loading and unloading the car on the dolly, securing it, hooking up the lights and safety chains. You'll be flat towing after the first trip.

LOL. Well after she saw all your responses she changed her mind. I am trying to cancel the order for the tow dolly.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you tell the wife that she is responsible for loading and unloading the car on the dolly, securing it, hooking up the lights and safety chains. You'll be flat towing after the first trip.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I put a base plate on my 03 CRV myself. It was about $600. ( always more in Canada). Was not that hard. There are company videos on how to do it. I also installed a Roadmaster Invisibrake system, about $800-$1000. Lighting kit another $100. My motorhome came with a Roadmaster tow bar so did not have to buy it. Run a fused line from the Honda battery to your front connector to keep it charged.

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:
E bay listed yours for 390 to 450.00 you do the math and all name brand company's.

Ok. I think that is for the baseplate? I looked on ebay. Also sent message to cancel the dolly order if possible.

Still need tow bar and braking system.

May be able to do it for closer to the cost of a dolly.

Will see if dolly order can be cancelled.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Demco tow dolly is the one with a steering system only one. I know of the others like the one I had says keep the wheel in locked position. That one is a 1,500 more over most others.Most tow dolly's have there own lights on fenders so getting it wire can't understand that part.

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. Yes, please move to correct place. I did not see that forum. Sorry.

Will check out ebay cost for parts. The big ticket items are:
- Base Plate
- Tow bar assembly
- Brake thingy (unless there is one with surge brakes)

Not sure I can cancel the dolly at this point but will check.

Wiring to use CRV tail lights just sounds simpler when hooking up for tow. Just plug in at front of car.

I prefer lights at back of the car not the dolly lights which are far forward. This just seems safer.

I assume the CRV steering still needs to be unlocked like when flat towing. If so, the ignition has to be on and hence a battery drain and a preference to charge the battery. The hot wire is there already. Simple to connect to battery. If the steering wheel can be locked. There is no battery drain.

So can you dolly tow with steering locked???

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is cost to assemble the dolly?
Bae plate and tow bar is high!
You should not require any wiring for the dolly. It should come with lights. The adapter to connect lights should be around $10.
I would get a light duty trailer hitch for the CRV to move dolly around.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We dollied back when we first got started. Toyota Camry. didn't like the idea of getting into the wiring and risk screwing up a computer. Bought a set of magnetic lights with long wire. taped the bottom of the lights to save scratching and was ready to go. The lights on the dolly were lower than I liked and certainly didn't want a collision from the rear. Wanted something high enough to be seen.
Only problem was the dolly when we got parked some place like Ocean Lakes where the sites are very tight. solution was sliding the tongue of the dolly under the MH with the tires and axel close to the back of the RV
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
E bay listed yours for 390 to 450.00 you do the math and all name brand company's.