cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Top things you need to know as camp host?

PcolaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
We will be hosting in Smoky Mountain National Park in the Fall. Technically this will be our first real hosting job, although we were resident volunteers locally for 10 weeks last summer. I also volunteer at our local state park ranger station regularly.
Want to be as prepared as possible, so thought I'd get some input from those with more hosting experience. Common problems, camper needs, etc. Our primary duties will involve monitoring the campground and helping at Ranger Station. No cleaning is supposed to be involved. Thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

Monello
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a volunteer camp host at 4 different state parks and was a paid camp host in a national forest.

Often you may be involved with other hosts. Some of the hosts that return from year to year will be helpful. Watch out for the hosts with bad attitudes. We had 1 host couple that did a lot of badmouthing about the operation. People like that are easy to spot. Be polite but don't play their game.

The part I liked best was interacting with the campers. Most are there to have fun. There are always a few that will try your patience.

I found it helpful to ask a few questions of the campers. Things like where they were from, what they did for a living and other places they camped that they enjoyed. I found that people like to share their personal experiences with you.

southtexas
Explorer
Explorer
Other NP host tips, find out what to do when someone leaves the campsite for the day, and leaves a large fire burning. (Put it out?) Find out what to do with food or dog food left out for the bears (Bearbox? or ranger station?)
Find out what do with fires at night when they go watch the ranger presentation or its clear there in bed. (Put them out?) Have fun you will meet lots of interesting campers.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
If you begin to think of the campground or other gig as "yours" it is time to find something else to occupy your time.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
I would add....know when to leave. I don't mean in the middle of your commitment.
But if you are a sour puss, don't really belong trying to help others or do a good job, just don't 're-apply and subject others to your attitude.
Find something else for your $ or free site, there's plenty of other 'jobs'

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I too, am finding this very useful - I may someday want to host and, meanwhile, the info here helps me be a better guest :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

PcolaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone. I'm going to make a notebook with all these suggestions. You guys are the best! I appreciate you taking time to respond.

vegasken34
Explorer
Explorer
Try "their" way

vegasken34
Explorer
Explorer
One of the hardest things to remember is that it is not your "park"!! Do it there way even if that way is the most stupid thing you have ever heard.

halfwright
Explorer
Explorer
Get (or put together) a trauma first aid kit. Most people have band-aids and small things, but not large bandages or splints. Sanitary napkins make great wound covers, along with the wrapping tape that sticks to itself. Many parks are far from any type of first responders. Taking a first aid class through the Red Cross is cheap or free.

We have had hatchet cuts, burns, and massive cuts from falls all come to our door needing help. You will be covered under the good Samaritan law as long as you do not exceed what a reasonable person would do in the same circumstances Or do things far beyond your training level.
Jim and Darlene Wright
Ryder, the Ethiopian monkey beaver dog
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 Ford F250

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Also this goes along with what Merrykalia said: If someone asks, mention shortly what you did before retiring.

Other than that, people really don't want to know. That was then, this is now.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
One other thing that I forgot to mention. Don't assume to tell the full-time employees how to do their job.

Case in point: I am retired law enforcement (25 years) and it has taken me literally putting my hand over my mouth to keep from telling some young rookie rangers how to do their job! When we first went to camp-hosting, the park manager came up and we had a heart-to-heart talk about training of rangers and what was and was not taught in the academy and what had to be learned on the job. Before he left, I promised him that I would just watch and talk to him either by phone or in person if I felt something was being handled inappropriately and not try to tell the rookie ranger. If it was a dangerous situation, I would accompany the ranger. Now, if the rookie asked me, he said to feel free to tell him how it should be or how I would handle it. This has worked great and the rookie ranger is now a five year veteran and has it pretty much under control.

I have also responded as backup on several domestic situations within the campground and being a female really helps on these since I am not seen as a threat in my T-shirt, shorts and sandals.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

PcolaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
This is great information, thank you all for sharing your expertise. There are some ideas I hadn't thought about.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
One other thing I forgot

BIRDS

I am simply amazed at the number of people I meet while volunteering who are serious bird watchers. They want to know which birds are in the area, where to see specific breeds, when is the best time to see them.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Your best asset will be patience.