cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Touchy subject - proper toilet paper for black tank

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
I hope this is the appropriate spot to post this. If not, mods please move or delete if it's too touchy.

I'm wondering if there's a consensus on the best toilet paper to use for our black tanks? I'm planning to stock up for a long trip.

I've heard anecdotally that the Kirkland house brand is good, but I don't know if that's accurate. At home, I'm a believer in Charmin heavy-duty.

The parameters are:
  • efficacy
  • dependability and dissolveability
  • comfort level
  • cost per application
30 REPLIES 30

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timmo! wrote:
A common test suggested for septic tank owners---

"How to Check Your Toilet Paper for dissolvability?

There are many different types of toilet papers โ€” but not all toilet papers are created equal. Some dissolve in water faster and more completely than others and, as such, are more suitable for your septic tank.

This DIY toilet paper test is ultra easy and allows you to see what happens when you flush down your favorite tissue without having to open the septic tank lid.

Take four sheets of your toilet paper and place them in a jar or a Tupperware container
Add two cups of water and wait 20 minutes
Stir the jar or Tupperware container for roughly ten seconds. Now let its content settle down

Did your toilet paper dissolve? If yes, congratulations โ€” your tissue is septic friendly!

If it didnโ€™t, perhaps itโ€™s about time you dump it in favor of a toilet paper that break down quickly."

Yup

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
A common test suggested for septic tank owners---

"How to Check Your Toilet Paper for dissolvability?

There are many different types of toilet papers โ€” but not all toilet papers are created equal. Some dissolve in water faster and more completely than others and, as such, are more suitable for your septic tank.

This DIY toilet paper test is ultra easy and allows you to see what happens when you flush down your favorite tissue without having to open the septic tank lid.

Take four sheets of your toilet paper and place them in a jar or a Tupperware container
Add two cups of water and wait 20 minutes
Stir the jar or Tupperware container for roughly ten seconds. Now let its content settle down

Did your toilet paper dissolve? If yes, congratulations โ€” your tissue is septic friendly!

If it didnโ€™t, perhaps itโ€™s about time you dump it in favor of a toilet paper that break down quickly."
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
same as what we use in the house, Costco Kirkland 2 ply.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Less than 10 per cent of toilet paper is recycled !

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use lots of water. Not a problem in over 25 years.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
We use what we use at home. I do still have to remind the wife not to use copious amounts of TP though. Never had a bad plug in the pipes when draining but have come close. I thoroughly empty my tank every time I dump because of my wifes paper use. Just use less paper and more water if you are concerned about plugs in the drain pipe

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use nothing special, never a problem.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
We use TP rated "Septic Safe" at home and in the RV. We never put "Flushable wipes" down the toilet at home or in the RV. NEVER! Think about it; those things have been soaking in a water/soap solution for who-knows-how-long, and are still in perfect condition. You might as well put a cotton terry cloth wash cloth in your sewer! Use them if you must, but put them in the trash where they belong, not down the toilet! Ask your sewage treatment plant operator what he thinks of them. I rather imagine you will get an ear-full, possibly laced with profanity!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
We've used reg TP at home and in all our truck and 5th wheel campers since 1972. Our current '97 5th wheel trailer has had nothing but Charmin reg TP and no clogs. We also use lots of water on each flush.

Our neighbors bought a 36' motor home to use in their show horse business and plugged the toilet the first year with camper TP. His rv dealer unclogged the tank and said it was caused from not using enough water.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wa8yxm wrote:
Though TP is TP not all TP is the same.. Scotts Single Ply is rated Good. Charmin multi-ply quilted is not..
The rating is based on how fast it 'Falls apart' in water..

Yep, if your fingers go right thru it the instant it gets slightly moist, it will rate well.

We use normal TP that holds up so you can actually use it for it's intended purpose. Never had a clog. I've been camping for the last 50yrs include several recent years of full timing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thickest most luxurious Charmin. Full timing since 2011 and not an issue.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDLXXRVe2pc

Watch the Video. There is your answer.

Personally, I like Scott's RV Rapid Dissolving TP. It's feels nice and seems to break up easily.

Seneca_35GS
Explorer
Explorer
We also put our TP in a plastic bag and dispose of in dumpster. Why fill the black tank with TP. We use Costco Kirkland TP, never a problem.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Get 100 grain but 220 grain is better.:B
Boon Docker wrote:
Tyler0215 wrote:
TP is TP.

X2
Use what ever you use at home.
I use Charmin, it does not disintegrate like the over hyped RV toilet paper. And it never causes any problem with the black tank.

It is a holding tank. We have had septic for over 20 years and I grew up on septic. We use/used what was nice on our bums.