cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing a f-150 wheels down

canman4800
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 f-150 with push button start. can it be towed wheels down and what would have to be done to allow it?
"the worst day at the campgrounds is still better than the best day at work"
7 REPLIES 7

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
More likely because a 2WD truck is RWD, so to use a dolly under the rear wheels would mean towibg backwards which doesnt sound like a good idea.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
You can find the owner's manual on the Ford website here. Page 311-312 says that if the vehicle is 2WD it cannot be towed with ANY wheels on the ground, ever.

I'm not about to argue with the ford engineer that wrote that manual. But it would have been nice if they had explained how the vehicle can be damaged by towing with the front wheels on the ground on a 2wd truck.

Two-wheel Drive Vehicles
You cannot tow a two-wheel drive vehicle
with any wheels on the ground as vehicle
or transmission damage may occur. You
must tow your vehicle with all four wheels
off the ground, such as when using a
car-hauling trailer.

Because a two wheel drive truck the transmission will have some gears and clutches turning but without lubricant being pumped around/through them. That's why there will be transmission damage.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
BurbMan wrote:
You can find the owner's manual on the Ford website here. Page 311-312 says that if the vehicle is 2WD it cannot be towed with ANY wheels on the ground, ever.

I'm not about to argue with the ford engineer that wrote that manual. But it would have been nice if they had explained how the vehicle can be damaged by towing with the front wheels on the ground on a 2wd truck.

Two-wheel Drive Vehicles
You cannot tow a two-wheel drive vehicle
with any wheels on the ground as vehicle
or transmission damage may occur. You
must tow your vehicle with all four wheels
off the ground, such as when using a
car-hauling trailer.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
As others said, if it's a 4x4, you can tow 4 down. I've been towing my 2015 since new with no issues.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you follow Ford instructions and limitations to the letter...and save a repair bill.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can find the owner's manual on the Ford website here. Page 311-312 says that if the vehicle is 2WD it cannot be towed with ANY wheels on the ground, ever. If the truck is 4WD, there is a procedure on p312 that tells you how to put the transfer case in neutral and prepare for 4-down towing.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Start with the owners manual. Look up the 2018 RV Flat Tow/Dinghy guide here via Camping world, I think links at top of page.

I looked into towing our 2016 F150 flat down and it was doable. Went with a Jeep, now wife tags along behind as we downsized expenses so oldest could go to college.

I'm sure others here will have experience with your application.