cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Sway - non RV question

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I rented a U-Haul trailer to tow our latest project back to NJ from SC. I've used these trailers several times in the past without any issues, with the same tow vehicle (my '07 Avalanche) and cars that are a similar weight.

This trip was about 700-miles each way. So you could imagine my panic when I loaded up and got on the highway and the thing was swaying all over the place. I was not looking forward to a white-knuckle, 14-hour ride home. I made it, but I'm looking for some insight to avoid this in the future.

Max towing capacity is 8,000 lbs. on the Avalanche. U-Haul trailer weighs 2,200 lbs. The car's (1964 Impala wagon) "shipping weight" is 3,900 lbs. That's 6,100 lbs. total. The wheelbase of the car was pretty much as long as the trailer, with a significant amount of overhang out over the back of the trailer (I'd say 3-4 feet). I'm thinking this might have been part of the problem.

Upon accelerating onto the highway the first time, it started swaying at around 55 MPH. It got worse and worse so I let up on the gas (did not apply brakes) and let it coast until it was under control. I slowly accelerated to 50 MPH where it seemed okay. On the flats and uphill it seemed okay, but going downhill it would start to sway pretty bad above 55 MPH. I got off on the next exit.

I remembered reading here (I think) that increasing the tongue weight can help. I took the spare out of the back of the wagon (even though it only weighs like 50 lbs) and put it in my truck. Even though the trailer and truck were level (I have a drop hitch), I pulled the fuse for the auto-level suspension and let it drop a bit hoping for more weight on the tongue. That seemed to help a lot, but it was still pretty sketchy.

My dad commented that the tongue on the trailer seemed to be unusually long - and it was. It had the trailer probably 4-5 feet behind the truck. Not sure if that's a factor or not.

We stopped for the night after about 8 hours. My nerves were frayed.

For the last leg of the trip, I tightened up the surge brake on the trailer so that it would engage earlier. I made sure it was still free at a stop. This seemed to make a huge difference - the rest of the ride home was pretty good. Going down hills the surge brake would seem to kick in and keep the sway under control, or if I braked slightly the surge brake would immediately correct the sway (I know you're not supposed to brake). Trucks passing would upset it a bit, but that's to be expected.

Any guesses as to what the issue was here? I know it's not a lot go to on, but it's really shaken my confidence in towing with these trailers.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)
18 REPLIES 18

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
It may seem like a dumb question, but that "project" did have an engine in it, didn't it?
If not, there's your problem!

Yes it did - a 327! Drove it on and off the trailer ๐Ÿ™‚

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
It may seem like a dumb question, but that "project" did have an engine in it, didn't it?
If not, there's your problem!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
turbojimmy wrote:
Max towing capacity is 8,000 lbs. on the Avalanche.

assuming you have the 5.3 engine, what rear end ratio do you have?
my 2007 has the factory tow package, with the 3.73 rear end and its max towing capacity is 7200lbs.

unless you have the 4.10, don't think yours has 8000lbs. towing.

You're right - I tried to recall from memory and failed. I have the 5.3 as well with the tow package (3.73s). It is indeed 7,200.

And yes, in hindsight I should have moved more stuff to the front of the trailer rather than the bed of the truck. I did have a tool box with me, and the spare could have gone up there too. Since I didn't know the cause at the time it didn't occur to me.

This is great info for next time - I appreciate it.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Max towing capacity is 8,000 lbs. on the Avalanche.

assuming you have the 5.3 engine, what rear end ratio do you have?
my 2007 has the factory tow package, with the 3.73 rear end and its max towing capacity is 7200lbs.

unless you have the 4.10, don't think yours has 8000lbs. towing.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
You needed more tongue weight. I started out once with a utility trailer that started swaying at 35 mph. I stopped, moved some heavy items forward and then it started swaying at 55 mph. Once I got enough weight forward (3rd try) it ran fine at interstate speed.

Not being able to move the car would just mean you'd have to add some cargo in front of the car or on the tongue. A tool box, a couple of batteries, whatever to get the balance.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did find a better picture and it has equalizing axles. Putting the tire on the front of the trailer would help more than in the back of the truck.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Heavy long tail wagging a light short dog.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I cannot tell if there is a equalizing arm between the tires. If not then lowering would make it worse. The trailer is too short for the load especially because it is a wagon.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
I think I would have backed it on the trailer.

U-Haul said specifically not to do that. But in this case it might have helped? Dunno. The bulk of the weight should still be up front tho, right?

EDIT: And for perspective, the first pic is when I got it home. See how much lower the rear is than in the 2nd pic when I first loaded it up. The suspension had pumped up and the tongue was much higher.

My dad doesn't believe that dropping the rear of the truck shifted weight to the tongue. It has to, right?

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would have backed it on the trailer.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Here are a couple of pics:

See how long the tongue is? Is that a factor. You can see the overhang, too. I was happy to get everything and everyone home in one piece!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:
was the car all the way forward on the trailer? sound like not enough tongue weight and to much overhang on the rear taking weight off the hitch.
Like others have said not enough tongue weight.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a tilting car trailer that wants to sway, even empty. It has torque flex axles (non equalizing) and I' ve learned to use a raised ball (trailer higher in the front) so more weight is on the rear axle which results in more tongue weight and no sway. Have to do the same on a 31' Airstream with torque flex axles. I've thought about lowering the rear axle 1/2" so I can keep it lever.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it was the overhang.............in a round about way.

Hears the deal. When a car is very long and the trailer is short a lot of weight can go behind the trailer axle. Not a good deal. Just like a fat kid on the end of a teeter totter the rear end of the car will take tongue weight off of the front of the trailer.

You did good by putting the spare up front. Very smart move. Even a few lbs can make a difference.

I towed a trailer with 0 tongue weight this last weekend. Only had to go about 2 miles at no more than 40 MPH. It was only about 1,500 lbs but it wanted to take my diesel off of the road and put it into a ditch.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln