cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling in a group— How do you handle it?

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are planning a fishing trip with another couple this spring. Will be a couple of days drive They have a pop up truck camper and we have the 5th wheel. Plan is they will haul their boat, sleep in their camper with meals and down time in our 5er. Seems like it will work out.

But while talking, the men had a bit of a disagreement with the women. Both of our wives feel like we should stay within sight of each other while on the road. Both of us men feel like we have cell phones if we need help, and trying to stay together will just make driving more demanding, especially for me with 12,000 pounds behind me.

Back before cell phones, I generally did try to stay close to the rest of the group. Even with a CB, you couldn’t spread out too far. I figure now, maybe have a mid day meeting place and just connect again when you get where you are going.

What do you all think?
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73
62 REPLIES 62

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Meet you there.

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Google maps allows you to share your location with specific people. My son has used that to catch up with me. I also use it when travelling with Grand Kids so the parents know where we are and when we will arrive. I only turn it on for these specific situations.

I hate to have people follow me. My son is the worse. He lags so far behind that it is a given that we will get separated by a traffic light. I also hate to follow my brother-in-law. He drives like a maniac and it is hard to keep up.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Takamine
Explorer
Explorer
If you both have iPhones (not sure about Androids), I'd set up "Find My" with the other travelers. With that, you can travel at your own pace but can always check and see if the other travelers are close by.
2016 Springdale 2600TB
2012 Ford F-150

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't get how some people feel it is so stressful driving together. It's not a big deal either way. I actually take up the rear in our three rig caravan, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I am in my zone just cruising, listening to the radio, chatting every now and then with the wife, and just enjoying the ride.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
When I'm traveling with a group, we just meet up occasionally. Especially before it's time to leave pavement and find camp. We have cell phones if we need to get a hold of each other.

Usually the plan is "I'll catch up at the Walmart in Ridgecrest." Or "we'll meet up at the big pull out at mile marker 25." With different rigs, different needs for bathroom breaks, different stuff we forgot to buy at the store... Trying to caravan is way too frustrating.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow. Lots of travel alone opinions here. I'll be a bit contrary...

I do like traveling with another vehicle, especially if it is someone who understands working together. The smaller, more nimble, vehicle can often work the traffic to help the larger vehicle change lanes, etc. For example, make the lane change in tight traffic, and then slow down to allow the big rig to move over. I know them, and they know me. So I know they are not going to do something stupid like cut me off or not watch my bumper.

We have the shared experience and can pass the time commenting on the other drivers on the road, and warning each other. "Watch out for this butthead passing at high speed", or "I'm slowing because there appears to be debris ahead", or "Officer Friendly is making a revenue generation stop", etc.

And then there is the fun on sharing a journey with friends. Let's swap passengers for the next leg. Someone different to visit with, some different stories to tell. Maybe some of the kids are more compatible with the others and they can buddy up in vehicles together, without mom & dad letting them get too far away.

Just my thoughts...
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
If people are OK with driving the same speed and stopping at the same places, then there’s nothing wrong with staying together. 1 or 2 day trips don’t usually involve a lot of spontaneous stops and site seeing anyway. We regularly travel with others and do try to stay within about a mile or so of each other. Nothing tiring about it all. The only time it ever causes trouble is if the lead driver misses the exit or if you pull off together to get fuel and the station can’t accommodate 2 rigs at once.

If we get separated, we don’t sweat it...just keep going. Sometimes, especially on the way home, if someone needs to stop for a pee break or fuel, but the other doesn’t and we’re both near home, then the other person just keeps on going.

The point is to enjoy the trip. If the trip is more enjoyable for you if you’re traveling in a convoy, then do it. If not, then don’t don’t do it.

Some wold say, there’s no reason to travel together if we have cell phones and can communicate issues. Well, when that blowout happens and if you have to get off the interstate, are you certain that your passenger seat partner can have the cognizance to get on the phone quick enough to advise your traveling partner 3 or 4 miles behind you that you have an issue? Or that you can remember the exact exit number you got off on? Or that you’re lagging partner isn’t on the phone with someone else and totally misses your call?

Again, no wrong decision here...but don’t overstate the difficulty of traveling together.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Having convoyed on the road following or leading other drivers pulling trailers loaded with construction equipment/material to the next job site (50 miles or 500 miles) for over 10 years, I have no problems doing so. I prefer convoy ve just meet some one at a place down the road.
Granted the ones following have to drive harder to keep up.
Most drivers soon learned not to get to far behind... or follow to close.

I pull my RV the same way. I can follow or I can lead. When leading don't run away from others when you finally get around farmer Jones poking along at 35 mph. And when following don't tail gate.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
On this I agree with aj.
To quote the last line of the original post...”what do you all think of this?”
The only thing that matters is what the people with the keys think.

Sometimes I wish I had the time to ponder insignificant things like this....

But have you brought up the drafting option yet? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OMG Scott! That just made my day! After I clean up the coffee I just spit out!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
We don't travel in a group, prefer not to. Don't enjoy other peoples company that much.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not very well.
I have been leading trips for over 50 years.
I prefer to meet people there.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Let the men make these decisions,
No attitude here, but just let them handle that and pick your fights.
Pain in the butt to stay in sight, you all grown ups and should be able to drive all by urself

Do you drive the same speed? Do you climb hills the same speed? Do you pee the same speed?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
kellem wrote:
ScottG wrote:
My wife has a friend that we thought about traveling with. They're very nice, (mostly) down to earth people and we enjoy their company. There's just one little reason we wont go on a trip with them; the husband positively must swim naked where ever he goes.

That staggered me, wow.
And I believe your being serious.

I am!
It was hard to believe because the guy is so "normal" otherwise.