cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TriMark Door Handles - Please submit failures !

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
The Trimark 1650 door lock failed on our RV. My RV is a 2017. We stopped to get gas, I got out and it worked fine, filled the RV up and went to leave and the striker on the door latch had failed.

If that has happened to you please go to this website and file a complaint, perhaps they will recall them.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/?

This is the second one I have had break on a newer RV (less than 3 years old) and I witnessed one fail for the camper next to me on a 3 year old RV last month. These things are total trash.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
8 REPLIES 8

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you can blame china for what Trimark makes and sells. Trimark spce'd a zinc potmetal striker instead of steel.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
I broke on 2 different RVs. 1st one, couldn't get OUT except thru the window to get my Tool box from storage compartment. 2nd time, couldn't get in. Love the Chinese.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
apr67 wrote:
Luckily now Trimark offers a steel striker.

I've not had a basement latch fail ever (knock on wood), however I can see how it could happen.

what do they charge for it?

The ones I have were rather expensive but the man at Seneca Machining (Seneca SC) did an absolutely first class job.

They are things of beauty.

The man who made my replacement door latch.. Well I had to work on that a bit but I have some Machinist training and tools (Old farm boy after all, plus worked for a machinist for a bit) so Finished it and it works too.

If your basement latches are the same as mine he still has the pattern I left with him.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
When the Tri-Mark door lock on our previous motorhome failed, I replaced it with a salvaged Bargman and never had another problem. I was pleased to see that our current coach came with a Bargman lock as well, although the drivers door does have a Tri-Mark lock. It's not the same type as the primary door though.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Door latch has two locks. One standard and the other a deadbolt type. The deadbolt type stopped working with the key. Had to fiddle with it until it finally unlocked and now the keyhole is covered over so I won't get locked out. Not sure what to replace it with once the whole thing fails. Chuck

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I have had that happen to me twice.. the second time I had a smith carve me a new stricker bolt out of STEEL instead of the **** pot metal Tri-Mark uses

Same with the basement latches.. I have some spare STEEL striker bolts which I will be installing as the pot metal jobs fail and fail they will.

Luckily now Trimark offers a steel striker.

I've not had a basement latch fail ever (knock on wood), however I can see how it could happen.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had that happen to me twice.. the second time I had a smith carve me a new stricker bolt out of STEEL instead of the **** pot metal Tri-Mark uses

Same with the basement latches.. I have some spare STEEL striker bolts which I will be installing as the pot metal jobs fail and fail they will.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just replaced my broken one with a Bauer. I was happy the wife was inside when it happened, as I was outside trying to get in.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly