cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trimark Compartment Key won't Lock or Unlock Handle

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
As per my signature I have a 2002 Winnie 32V. I got a little to personal with an unmovable object and damaged a couple of the basement doors and destroyed one of the paddle latches. Because of the ease of ordering and good service I have received in the past, I bought the doors and the paddle latch from Lichtsinn in Forest City near the Winnie factory.

The doors fit perfectly but when I tested the lock in the latch assembly, the key I had would not work. Winnie has what is called the One Key System, there are IIRC 15 different keyings.

I found that if I pulled the key out just about 1/16" it would work. You know the old worn key syndrome. So I had my local locksmith cut me a key according to Strattec who makes the wafer cores for Trimark.

Needless to say, I am not happy that key will not operate the lock unless I pull it out exactly 1/8". Of course the new key fits all the other locks. In fact it is smoother and nicer than the old worn Trimark keys, no surprise there.

Contact Lichtsinn again and got the old of course it won't work with your old worn keys. Explaining I had a new key didn't fly so I ordered a new Trimark key. $2.10 cents is no biggy right, but $5.00 for shipping and handling, Grrr. By the way, in reading the returns policy, Licthsinn does not accept returns for KEYS and LOCKS.

New key arrives and guess what. You're a winner, of course it doesn't work the lock. Back to Lichtsinn and they agree to send a new latch. Now that sucker is about $90 bucks keyed to my keys. It arrives and now try a new guess. Yep, you're are right, the new key they sold me won't work either, the old worn 2002 Trimark key won't work and the key I had cut won't work the flippin lock.

Monday I'll be talking to Lichtsinn again, in my opinion, none of this is their responsibility, it is not Winnebago's fault but it is their responsibility, Trimark is at fault. Trimark is like so many of the new and improved companies that are gobbling up other companies, Trimark does not talk to end users, you have to deal with the retailer.

What really t's me off is that I got an appointment for painting the new doors to match the RV and now I won't have the paddle latch installed and will have to have that painted later. On Monday, I'll call a few places around the area and see if any of then have the paddle latch with a keyed lock that matches my keying and see what they can do. Of course the chances of finding a supplier that has my exact "One Key System" is probably slim and none. Of course the handle/paddle and the lock core are both swedged in and you cannot swap them out for a core that works.

Well the rant is over but if any of you have an ideas on how to proceed, please let me know.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
6 REPLIES 6

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
Move the latch to a bay you don't use much

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you get your new key to work?

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would take it to a hardware store that makes keys and have them offset the blank key to 1/8 in or so then grind the new key to your master key.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe take it to a good (good luck) locksmith. The lock button often can be popped out and he can cut a proper key.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
To clarify, I have to move the KEY in and out of the cylinder. It makes no never mind if the latch is installed and the door closed or if the latch is laying in my hand. The key goes too far into the cylinder and has to be pulled out a bit.

I'm kind of thinking that if they can't send me a latch with a key that works, I'll just return the whole mess for a full refund and buy the new style for about $40.00 and have two keys. I'll move the oddball latch to a cabinet I don't open much and put the old one on the cabinet I open often.

I'm too old for this BS.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried adjusting what ever you have that it latches on? If you have to move it a 1/16 of an inch you are either adding pressure or removing it.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad