cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip to the RV Show and our top 3 sub-20' picks

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over the weekend we braved the cold to head over the the Atlantic City RV Show to get some ideas for our upcoming small RV project. Right or wrong, it also let me use the trip as an early Valentines treat.

As a little overview of the show, it is a pretty standard RV show. For the most part it was local RV dealers showing off units they had in stock. For this reason there werenโ€™t too many odd or interesting new RVโ€™s on display that Iโ€™ve seen at other shows. I was also a little disappointed in the vendor area and the lack of RV gadgets being displayed. The vendors were of the typical home improvement variety that can be found at most fairs with a few campgrounds and RV type products mixed in.

We were specifically looking at small travel trailers to get some good space saving ideas since we're looking at TT's around 15' long.

Here's out top 3 < 20' travel trailers of the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBcC8NALp1M

Along with our related blog post:
http://www.rvcircus.com/the-best-small-travel-trailers-at-the-2016-atlantic-city-rv-show/

At the end of the day we didnโ€™t see too much at the Atlantic City RV show that we havenโ€™t seen before, but we still came home with some good ideas for our project.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
7 REPLIES 7

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a lot of things I can think of to spend $78k on and a 28' travel trailer isn't one of them. If it was 30' maybe, but definitely not for 28' of silvery goodness.

RVcircus wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
That small Airstream was crazy at $47,000.00 ... Or was it $41,000.00 ?? They must have a cult following ??? ...

The price is crazy for sure. Awesome trailer and fun to look at, but at > $40k for a 16' trailer it's certainly WAY out of my league. For those that own them I can see the draw and if money wasn't a concern I'd own an Airstream (and a helicopter).

Did you happen to see the price on the larger airstream... $78K for I believe a 28'.. They look great... maybe even awesome from the outside,,, Inside is well thought out ... but no slides...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
That small Airstream was crazy at $47,000.00 ... Or was it $41,000.00 ?? They must have a cult following ??? ...

The price is crazy for sure. Awesome trailer and fun to look at, but at > $40k for a 16' trailer it's certainly WAY out of my league. For those that own them I can see the draw and if money wasn't a concern I'd own an Airstream (and a helicopter).

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
scbwr wrote:
After checking your blog, I see that you're not in the market, but getting ideas for some sort of project. So, I'd say the RPod has a lot of design features to consider in whatever you do.

I'd agree that the Rpod is by far the best practical choice of the 3 and has some awesome features. The addition of the slide made a huge difference in the available living space. I personally don't like the idea of a murphy bed and like that both the Rpod and Airstream have a dinette & separate bed.

If money was no object, which was the case in our "we're not really buying anything" comparison, I'd go with the Airstream. I think for most of us $43,000 for a 16' trailer isn't reality and we like to dream sometimes.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
After checking your blog, I see that you're not in the market, but getting ideas for some sort of project. So, I'd say the RPod has a lot of design features to consider in whatever you do.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be careful when you look at units with a Murphy bed. First of all, you need to know how much room is available (when folded up) for a replacement mattress. You may find that the mattress included is sub par at best and you'll end up addding a topper or replacing the mattress. And, on some trailers, the Murphy style bed takes away a pass through storage area as I saw that first hand on a couple of Jayco trailers.

From what I've seen, I really like those RPods for what they offer in a smaller trailer, and they have quite a few options/accessories available.

Airstream trailers are an interesting product. If $$ is no object, and you like it...I'd suggest looking for one used which would put you in a better position for getting most of your money back if you decide to sell it for a larger trailer.

So, you can see by my comments, I lean heavily towards the RPod. Good luck in your search, and I hope you are on the camping road soon!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet