cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trouble with Winnebago warranty repair.

Rich_Steward
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had an issue with Winnebagos warranty because of cargo door seals leaking? I bought a new Winnebago Micro Minnie in April. In May I had a lot of standing water after it rained. This happened twice more before I could get it in for service. I took it to Travers St. Louis RV on May 30th. I called at least once a week. They had it for a month and a half before they told me they were approved to explore the damage. Is this Winnebagos policy or is this a dealer issue? I told them the trailer was only a month old and I didn't want it cut and pieced back together. Last week I went to the dealership to talk to them about the fact that I haven't seen my camper for 12 weeks and almost all of this years camping season. I was told because I stated I didn't want it torn a part and pieced back together they couldn't do anything for me. This was never relayed to me for 12 weeks. My Manufacturers Warranty will be up before I've been able to use it much. Is it typical for there to be an issue with Winnebago warranties or is this a dealers issue? At this point I just want my money back or a new trailer.
19 REPLIES 19

Rich_Steward
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago contacted me on Wednesday. I sent them pictures but they have not responded to me. I hope that they are not a part of the problem. Camping season is nearing its end.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't heard any complaints about Winnebago service at the factory but I have heard a lot of complaints about dealers. If it is at all possible you may be ahead if you can bring it to Forest City, Ia and the Winnebago factory for repairs.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rich Steward wrote:
Still waiting on Winnebago to get back to me. After our last conversation Iโ€™m not feeling very optimistic.

Your problem is probably not with Winnebago. Your issue is most likely with the servicing dealer. My experience with the Winnebago warranty has been nothing but stellar. Even out of warranty, their customer service has been superb.

Now, there is a major caveat to the above statement. While under warranty, Winnebago sent me parts which I installed or had a mobile tech install. I did have to eat the mobile service call, but it beat a 2 1/2 hour trip each way plus a chase car to a Winnebago dealer which happens to be Camping World. I wouldn't dare let them touch anything I own. Next closest dearer is about 3 1/2 hours each way.

This may not help you now, but maybe this will help others.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It's unfortunate that it appears so many RV dealers and mfgs are like this and so many buyers are not aware of this and think buying new = good warranty coverage like buying a car.
IDK why the industry "appears" to be sleazy-er than others, but it appears that way and this is a good warning for unsuspecting new RV buyers that their expectations, even if realistic, may not be met.

To the bad dealers and cheapo mfgs, F you and hope you're the first to go out of business during the next economic slowdown!

To RV owners in this situation, and not all people are wired like this, but whether it's a RV or a defective toaster, you NEED to be an A hole sometimes and stick up for yourself.
But to make you feel better, GM too 8 weeks and 3 attempts to fix the transmission in my work truck, under warranty. I feel it would have been even longer if I hadn't insisted on a loaner truck when I took it in. They asked me to return the truck several times when mine was still not done and told them not until mine was done. They even swapped me with another new truck because I called them and told them their loaner was due for an oil change, when should I bring it by. Then they learned I put 7k miles on that one and ended up with another 3k on the loaner. Bummer for them, I was on the road alot those 2 months.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dealers know the factory pays a set price for repairs that commonly show up in new equipment. Joe RV will pay much more than the factory rate to get the same repair made. New RV owner goes to the back of the line, and will likely have several get put in front of him if the repair takes a couple of days.
When we had our Itasca repaired in Forest City several years ago, the factory techs were very quick and complete in the repairs and we just drove in to check on availabilty of an appointment. They took us right in.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
20 years ago I had to learn the hard way.... fighting with dealers & manufacturers gets you grey & less hair, is bad for your heart, & wastes your precious time.

Unless you have some catastrophic or very expensive issue, you're much better off fixing it yourself (which sometimes means making it better than they way they had it designed/built).

Not saying it's right or the way it should be, but with the RV world 'keeping it real means' acknowledging the fact that factory warranty & dealer service is often more trouble than what it's worth.
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

Rich_Steward
Explorer
Explorer
Still waiting on Winnebago to get back to me. After our last conversation Iโ€™m not feeling very optimistic.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
B.O.โ€™s comment is very true. The small stuff you should fix...the big items, pay for it. Forget the warranty. And get off this โ€œmoney back or new TTโ€ position.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
there are rv techs that come to you, and some can do warrenty work.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the same leaking problem with my Cedar Creek. I fixed it myself by adding some self-sticking foam weather strip along the outer edge of the cargo door. Problem solved in about 15 minutes. If you aren't prepared to do some of these small repairs yourself, maybe an RV isn't for you.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rich_Steward
Explorer
Explorer
I did take it St. Louis RV where I bought the. They have had it for 12 weeks. My initial request was not for a new trailer but now that Iโ€™m half way through my manufacturers Warranty and with little time left for me to camp before itโ€™s over I have no way of knowing what else could go wrong. I have reached out to Winnebago. At first I donโ€™t know if they were getting good information from the dealer. But I have tried the last couple of days with no reply. I know thereโ€™s problems at St. Louis RV but not sure about Winnebago.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
The dealers inaction shows you how important your warranty repair is to them. You are at the bottom of the list and you are staying there. GO get your unit before it rots away.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
Check out this Winnie court case.
https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/08/winnebago-ordered-to-pay-couple-500k-for-problem-plagued-motorhome-in-federal-warranty-dispute.html

I read that link they were awarded $500,000 for a lemon motorhome that they paid $138,000 for, not sure why they got about 4 times what they paid..

Its a gamble buying a RV, some have few to no issues and some are just plagued with issues..

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out this Winnie court case.
https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/08/winnebago-ordered-to-pay-couple-500k-for-problem-plagued-motorhome-in-federal-warranty-dispute.html