cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

truck stops

F450
Explorer
Explorer
It is such a pain to go into a big truck stop and have to go in and give them my credit card. Why can't you use the credit card machine out at the pump?
58 REPLIES 58

js218
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 75' total an use nothing but truck stops, no problem paying with credit card
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
DickOK wrote:
I have had a manager at a Flying J and a district manager for QT tell me to NEVER use a credit card at the pump even if it is one of the new scanners. They both said it is too easy to capture your info.

Recently fired RV salesmen.

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IB853347201 wrote:
I don't understand your issue. Why doesn't your credit card work at the pump? Mine does and so do most people I've talked to.
Are you trying to use a prepaid visa card?

Truck stop lanes where the trucks fill?

Good Question... X2
HTML

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
DickOK wrote:
I have had a manager at a Flying J and a district manager for QT tell me to NEVER use a credit card at the pump even if it is one of the new scanners. They both said it is too easy to capture your info.
That's pretty irresponsible advice, especially considering the source. Did they also tell you to never drive on the city streets because it's too easy to have an accident there? While it is possible for you to have your data captured, the odds are against it. You're much more likely to lose your data from the credit card company that stores the info rather than a random skimmer. And as long as you're using a credit card, not a debit card, you're protected from any monetary loss.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DickOK
Explorer
Explorer
Dick OK

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at approximately 55 feet with my rig. All truck stops for me and I always fill up in the back with the truckers. In my experience I've always had to go inside and pay first, using my best guess at how much fuel I need.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
He have truck lanes at the convenience store that I work at. Most of the truckers don't come in. Fill and run unless the receipt printer is not working outside. If that is the case, they have to come in and get their receipt which they are required by law to have with them.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Title of this thread is "Truck stops"

Paying at the pump WHERE THE TRUCKS FILL with your CC is normally NOT available.

If OP is NOT talking about Truck stop "LANES" please clarify this as we keep talking about two DIFFERENT things.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Some perplexing first world problems being discussed here....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Airdaile wrote:
It's not just truck stops. Most stations limit a credit card purchase to $100, so if you will be taking more, then you have to go inside anyway. I'm always worried about leaving my card inside and will check for funny charges at the next stop.

just swipe the card a second time if needed. that's what I do.

And paying at the pump I get a 5% rebate to my card at the end of the month. Pay inside, no rebate.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Airdaile wrote:
It's not just truck stops. Most stations limit a credit card purchase to $100, so if you will be taking more, then you have to go inside anyway. I'm always worried about leaving my card inside and will check for funny charges at the next stop.
Why would you have to go inside? Just run the card through again and keep fueling. I do it all the time. It's the station that stops the pump, not the credit card company.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I work part time at a convenience store in Wisconsin (it keeps me from driving my wife nuts.) OUr diesel islands take almost any credit card without having to come inside. If you are using ComData, you have to come in because we are required to check the drivers id for that one. We also have diesel at our car pumps and most of the class C's fill there.
I wish that the class A diesels would use the truck pumps because the regular pump area is not large enough to maneuver the larger rigs. I have had to go out into the lot and stop traffic so that they could get out. If this happens, don't complain to the employee who is out there trying to help you.
If a gas class A has a toad, when I see them start entering the lot, I hope that they won't try getting to the pumps. They WILL NOT get out without causing major traffic problems.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Last year Flying J kept rejecting my credit card and they told me to go inside and pay so I went across the street and bought fuel. Later when I looked at my phone I had a fraud alert from my bank for each time I tried the card because FJ was trying to put a $600 temporary charge on my CC. I only went to FJ out of habit from when I had a big coach and toad, now I donโ€™t bother.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I am at 60' with my tow and I have not had any problem with using regular stations as I am discerning about my choices. My preference is truck stops and Flying J foremost. I use Good Sam RV Plus card at the pump and have no limit cut-off, so I swipe card, pump fuel and go.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I also find that there are taxes that change per vehicle class and going inside allows the attendant to view your vehicle to determine which fuel tax rate to charge. Sometimes you will see this clearer at stations where personal vehicles (including RV's) are fueled at separate diesel pumps from the pumps OTR trucks use. I have also seen (we have it here in AZ) pumps used for fueling only farm, non vehicle equipment, and non-on-the-road construction equipment. So the three separate pump areas all have different prices based on taxes. At stations with fixed price at the pumps, if you use the one with higher taxes you end up paying more for nothing even though you may be in the lower tax bracket. At stations with attendant price input, you may need to go inside if they don't yet have attendant call buttons.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.