cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater problem

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new to me 2004 HiLo with a Atwood water heater. Now the WH works on electric just fine but when I try to use gas I get a spark but no flame. So I checked with a gas meeter and there is no gas going to the WH. Can anyone help me to get the gas on or should I get a repairman to do it?
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do not think I've ever seen a valve like that before.. Perhaps they only use it on selected models.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
here is photo of common Atwood water heater gas valve. not the two black connectors going to coils.
Atwood gas valve

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
If the stove lights. I would go right to the burner tube and push something through it till it comes out in front of the gas orifice. The hope is you have pushed through a spider web and the tube is open. A mud dauber nest would be more work to remove. Then try turning it on.

Still no flame? Lots of good suggestions have been provided above.

I had the spider thing happen overnight once. I now put part of a dog flea collar in the outside access bay of the water heater and have not had a problem with spiders since.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
Atwood gas valves have two 12 volt coils.

They Do???? (I have and atwood)

And on teh Dinosaur board recommendation.. SECOND.

Suspects in order
Out of gas (Stove won't light)
Tank(s) shut off (Stove wont't light)
Bad regulator (Stove may light or not but all burners at once likely not).
Pinched gas line (Visual inspect)
Bad valve
Bad control valve
Clogged orifice (A spider likes to nest in 'em clean and try again)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you might try cleaning the electrical terminals before replacing parts. a lot of the time they make poor contact and the heater will not work

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
The few times it happened to me, it was a paper wasp in the orrifice.
I used a coat hanger and dug it out.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Turn on meter. If it is a digital, it should display OL in resistance mode (Ohms)
When leads are touched together it should read close to Zero. When testing the coils, the meter should read around 25-40 Ohms on each coil. Most digital meters have automatic range.
Voltage test would be done on around a 20 volt DC scale. One lead (black) goes to ground and the red lead would go to circuit board output.
Didn't ask before, Does the ignitor click? This is spark at the water heater end of burner tube.
Which Lakewood are you located?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Bud, I will be honest with you I have never been able to use a Ohm meter right, one time it got really hot and other times it reads nothing.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ What Bud said ^^^
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Atwood gas valves have two 12 volt coils. Disconnect the wire from circuit board, separate the wires at the coils. Use an Ohm meter to check resistance on each coil. the readings should be the same. If not the same replace gas valve.
Check the coil ground wire connection. Located behind gas valve connected via the valve mounting screw.
Use volt meter to check for 12 volts DC coming out of circuit board while the ignitor is sparking. No 12 volts DC means new circuit board. Recommend Dinosaur Electronics version.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
If want rk911 says does not work replace the gas valve on the water heater.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ummm ...is the gas supply on? does the stove light? if yes/yes light the stove and let it burn for about 60-sec and then try the WH.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle