cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel Stop vs Wheel Chocks

Surgtech94
Explorer
Explorer
Whatโ€™s the general consensus of whatโ€™s best to use, regular wheel chocks or the wheel stops? I donโ€™t see many people using the wheel stops. Thank you in advance
22 REPLIES 22

donut_dave
Explorer
Explorer
i use both. the wedge chocks and then the between the wheel stabilizers.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I will add, i have the yellow ones and the rubber ones, i use both one set on each side of the camper. This isnt for rolling, but I find the Camper has less bounce when walking around. Or more to the point, my kid jumping all over the place in the camper.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wanderingbob wrote:
Real men will not use plastic chocks , we cut down trees and make 4x4s cut at an angle . Also when we drive off and forget them we have not damaged the ecology !

Like button!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Real men will not use plastic chocks , we cut down trees and make 4x4s cut at an angle . Also when we drive off and forget them we have not damaged the ecology !

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
I use the BAL-X chocks with the two rubber wheel chocks on each side. Very stable and safe setup.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have some Orange Wheel Chocks that I've use or years. I don't see them for sale anymore. The great thing about them is if you forget about them after you hook up you just run them over. They pop back into shape. The yellow ones break into sharp pieces and I worry that if I ran one of the over it would flatten a tire.

When on a real big hill I have in the bed of my pickup 2-4X4 held together by a piece of plywood screwed to the top. They are the perfect length to fit between the tires of mt TT. I actually have to kick them in between the tires. To remove I pound them back out with a hammer.It's not easy though and I don't do it often because I'm worried about what could happen if I can't knock them back out.

If I need something better then that to keep from rolling down the hill I'm camping in the wrong spot.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whatever you use remember two things
Chock before you unhook
Remove chocks after you hook up

I have seen what happens when people forget.. both those things (Flying plastic bouncing off very expensive motor homes and possibly causing injury in the 2nd case... Rig headed toward the lake in the first... thankfully there was grass once it rolled off the pad and the jack dug in and stopped it. HINT to stop trailer fraster. Do not pull the safety chains, do not push/pull the Trailer itself. Pull on the break away cable. if the battery is good that'll stop it .. SWIFTLY.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The problem I have with the yellow wedge's is that unless you're really solid ground they can loosen up over time. We camp on all sorts of surfaces and when in gravel they're hard to make solid. Thats where the X chocks come in. They don't care what surface I'm camping on.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Like Lwiddis, I've had the yellow one blow away. I still use them though.

Unlike Gdetrailer, once my trailer is level, I'm done moving it. I'm not going to bother loading weight on each yellow chock. I have Andersen levelers that I use sometimes, which is a similar concept. Otherwise, I use the yellow ones, or the black rubber ones from HF, then I put homemade Roto-Chock type stabilizers in place. For me, that is easy-peasy.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
I donโ€™t like the light yellow chocks. In a very strong wind they can loosen and blow awayโ€ฆmine did at Tuttle Creek. Heavy black rubber chocks from HF like fj.

Never had the cheap yellow chocks blow away in the wind when done correctly.

Per..

NamMedevac 70 wrote:
I have for many years used the plastic yellow and black rubber wheel chocks with them in front and back of the tires. I then tried to pull my trailer forward or backup with them in place and TT moved only about an inch if that. I never thought to try this on gravel. So for me they worked well

Eazy peazy, place chocks behind wheel, backup slightly, then push opposite chock against front of wheel, then let your vehicle "drift" slightly forward and the wheels will center between the chocks with no slack in front nor behind..

Any type of wheel chock (metal, plastic, wood ect.) designed like a wedge can benefit from doing it this way.

When leaving, you will of course need to pull forward slightly to release the rear chocks and backup slightly to release the front chocks.

On edit, adding a illustration that may be helpful to understand how I set my chocks..

Once set, they won't move since the tires are on the chocks, for added chock movement prevention, I drop a short piece of 2x4 in between the chocks which locks them together.

Obviously a single axle you will have to place both chocks on the same wheel but the principle is the same otherwise.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
All these โ€œinnovativeโ€ wheel chock systems (not chalks, btw. Chalk is for writing on blackboards) are the product of the same snake oil salesmanship as a lot of wdh/anti sway applications.
Not saying โ€œx chocksโ€ or whatever else donโ€™t work, because they do Iโ€™m sure, but in the 100s of different trailers Iโ€™ve unhooked and parkedโ€ฆsomewhereโ€ฆIโ€™ve never encountered a situation that a good old rubber wheel chock, 2x or 4x lumber, rocks or a split piece of firewood didnโ€™t do the job.
Iโ€™ll qualify that with when working on the ice roads, we built chocks with spikes in them to grip the ice.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dedmiston
fj12ryder wrote:
The only brand to use as chocks, IMO of course, are the Roto-Choks, and they don't make those any more.

Roto-Choks were the greatest. I'm still sad that the family stopped making them.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I've used blocks and chalks for several years but finally moved on up to between the tire adjustables. Once their properly set mine will not pop out...and eliminate any fore and aft movement. And I never have to reset them after a hard rain when camping on soft areas (mud) regardless of the length of our stay.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We have the cheep plastic ones from Walmart. I also have a pair of old solid rubber ones that are pretty heavy and made for tractor trailers,just cause I had them laying around.