cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do you stop making mods?

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every year I seem to be putting a couple grand into it between truck & trailer. 11 years, almost 200,000 truck miles, near 100,000 trailer miles & near 1600 nights on the road.

This year it is Timbrens shocks for the truck in addition to its annual overhaul of bushings etc. The trailer is headed for some spring hanger replacements, upgrades, & already planning on next year reducing from a king bed to a queen sized & getting a sleep number mattress.

It does not stop. The only thing slowing me down is the Finance Department at The Admiralty.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
16 REPLIES 16

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to make mods until I sell my rig, even if it is just something to make the next owners' lives easier. That, or until the hearse comes by.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wa8yxm wrote:
Most folks stop making "Mods" at one of two points..

3 days before they sell it
3 days before "Brothers and sisters we are gatherd here today to remember our dearly ......

Well you won't be hearing that line anyway no no point finishing ti .. May it be in the far. far future.

^ Best answer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
When you get a life.

LOL, Mockturtle, you are toooo baaad !

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most folks stop making "Mods" at one of two points..

3 days before they sell it
3 days before "Brothers and sisters we are gatherd here today to remember our dearly ......

Well you won't be hearing that line anyway no no point finishing ti .. May it be in the far. far future.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is treatment for that affiliction.
Buy the truck and trailer you want and stop trying to make them into something they are not. Maintenance is important. Mods are not if you have the right equipment.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
When you run out of imagination.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
When you start with where we did with this coach, mods can go on forever. But, with a 40+ year time, of course some things have been improved. Like, electric lights for example. 😉

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
When you get a life.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Normal maintenance never stops. I have a list of mods I want to do and a couple of things get done off that list every spring. I'm spending about $5k a year, doing a lot myself. I'm happy with that.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maintenance is fixing what goes wrong & restoring to original. Mods are taking what is & making it better or adding something. In my case by far the effort has gone into frame & running gear mods, almost all in the area of springs, leaf added, spring hangers & spring hanger area reinforcement to make up for frame builder deficiencies.

Lucky for us over the years we have looked at many newer 5ers & have not seen anything that we would consider sell our Alpenlite for.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with mods is that depending on how they're executed some are difficult to totally impractical to remove later when you sell the unit. I'm as guilty as anyone, having modded the life out of every camper we've ever owned, some ultimately not so good, others that proved in time to be invaluable, BUT if there's ever another "next" camper for us I'll keep the mods to a minimum and those that I do go ahead with will when possible be designed so as to be easily removable later. Case in point - I've always installed a powered potable water transfer system on any trailer we've owned, next time it'll be portable with the pump mounted in a case of some sort, totally separate from the trailer itself. Same with any inverter I might want to use - portable. At least my hard wire EMS I was smart enough to install so it can be instantly removed at any time. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I keep up with the maintenance each spring. As far as mods... I just modify what is needed for our comfort and safety, we don't have to have a lot of gadgets, etc...
Proud father of a US Marine

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my RV'S so long I have to update technology every so often. I heavily modified when I purchased it new so maintenance is about all I need.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Modifications or maintenance? Maintenance is ongoing, mods are not.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB