cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Puppy food suggestions

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Our new furbaby (no name yet) will be coming home at the end of July. Breeder is currently feeding Blue Buffalo. I've never used BB but their recall history and possible link to heart disease doesn't give me warm fuzzies. Any suggestions on food? I know I'll get a bazillion different answers so if you can state why that would be helpful. Thanks!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
14 REPLIES 14

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Golden Retriever breeder fed Hills Puppy large breed, and we've continued her on it. Breeder also fed her adult dogs selective table scraps, and they seemed very healthy, although I am somewhat skeptical.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
If I had a new puppy now and needed to feed kibble I'd likely go with Purina ProPlan or Royal Canin. If I needed something I could pick up anywhere I'd go with Purina One.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Purina Pro Plan and Royal Canin have always kept our dogs healthy. Ours are usually animal shelter mix breeds we rescue. 15 years is the average lifespan of our dogs with no real medical issues except for the terrier mix who had a habit of developing ear infections because he was always in the water. Good ear drops kept that under control.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
LOL on the people food stuff! We used Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach before the boys had to go on Royal Canine Glycobalance. Thanks for the info-keep it coming.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
I use pedigree for the Collies along with people food. Tonight their meal will be chicken, pasta and broccoli with cheese. I'm having a salad, what's wrong with this picture. LOL

At least they aren't eating steak... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Actually it's in thier diet but chuck steak no filet mignon.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
The Goof, a 60 pound Aussum Shepherd, has a sensitive stomach, vet really pushed Purina Pro Plan, but Goof didn't want to eat it, he had sour/noisy gut 2 or 3 days a week, and wanted to graze. we finally setteled on pro plan, chicken and rice, with a scoop of "Ruff Greens" and a splash of chicken broth.
And the wife says I spoil him.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Since we go to Costco every 1-1/2 to 2 months to purchase 6-7 40# bags of food, price is a important factor in our choice of food. Boutique dog food does not fit in our budget.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
I use pedigree for the Collies along with people food. Tonight their meal will be chicken, pasta and broccoli with cheese. I'm having a salad, what's wrong with this picture. LOL

At least they aren't eating steak... ๐Ÿ˜‰
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer

Y-Guy
Due to allergies with our older Wire Fox Terrier we had him on a boutique grain free brand until we moved ProPlan Salmon & Rice after having a DCM scare when he was 10. Thankfully, he was fine but after education about the DCM issue we stayed with ProPlan. Both my oldest 13 now passed, and middle 3yo LOVE the ProPlan. We just adopted another WFT and we have him on ProPlan Puppy, he loves it too. I like that both are easy to find, reasonable priced and the dogs love it. Those salmon nuggets are gone first.

We'd taken our dog to the WSU Vet school when we had the DCM scare recommended it, as well as a few other brands.

This is our Sarge (3yo) and Sully (9 weeks)

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
We have had good luck with Costco's Kirkland brand as well. We avoid the grain free products after reading several studies like this:
Heart disease
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
We also feed Kirkland chicken & rice (same as diamond naturals chicken & rice). Our dogs have done well with it. My Nell will be 15 at the end of July; weโ€™ve had several others live into their teens including an ex racing greyhound.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been feeding Kirkland for years. Only 1 recall since 2009 and that recall was for most all dog food brands.

Gets good ratings too.
Ratings
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have had great success with Iams, Eukanuba and Royal Canin. All puppies lived long, healthy and trouble free lives. Well, except for the mischief they get into!

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member