cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v to 120v inverter

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
So I discovered that our new to us 5th wheel has an inverter. It also has a factory installed 170 watt solar panel.
I'm sure the tech told me about it but we went over so much that I must have forgotten.
Anyway when I turn the switch to battery power I can only find 1 outlet that shows 120 volts. It's right next to the stove like for a coffee maker or such.
Does it sound right that there would only be 1 outlet with 120?
Just say no to the payload police :C
12 REPLIES 12

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Would 170W run a residential fridge? Seems unlikely. One out let with the small array and I presume, limited battery bank, seems right to me. Probably meant to make coffee and run the microwave for a short time.
Need closer to 600+ watts solar and 1000 watt inverter to run a compressor fridge. More battery too.

Coffee or MW may take 2000 watt inverter.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
TravelinDog wrote:
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Along with the "coffee outlet" check the televisions, often they are on an inverter circuit.

Thanks, I didn't think to check the tv.

Our little Winnie has a 400 watt inverter, it runs the two tv's, the antenna amp, and a single outlet in the kitchen.
We use a small (hotel type) drip coffee maker, 4 cup and it works fine from the small inverter, we also can run an extension cord from the bedroom tv outlet, which lets the small inverter run both her bi-pap and my cpap without adding hardware.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
TravelinDog wrote:

Does it sound right that there would only be 1 outlet with 120?

Yes it does.. Common ways to install an inverter
Small ones (500 watt range (300-600) generally run the main TV/Entertainment systems (Radio, Sat DVD/Blue ray)

Slightly larger add the GFCI chain (Kitchen, bath, patio)

2000 adds the Microwave.

3000 add more

Bedroom outlets may be added at most any level (Save the smallest) depending on how the bedroom is wired. or not In my case not as the bedroom and Fridge were on the same circuit breaker (I later modified it so I could lock the fridge on GAS and power the bedside outlets, or not, as I choose)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Along with the "coffee outlet" check the televisions, often they are on an inverter circuit.

Thanks, I didn't think to check the tv.

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
TravelinDog wrote:
I can only find 1 outlet that shows 120 volts. It's right next to the stove like for a coffee maker or such.
That sounds about right, although having your entire coach on inverter is much handier. How "new to us" is this coach?

It's a used 2021 we bought last Oct.
We figure someone bought it during this covid thing and lived in it for a couple of months, it is like brand new.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
TravelinDog wrote:
I can only find 1 outlet that shows 120 volts. It's right next to the stove like for a coffee maker or such.
That sounds about right, although having your entire coach on inverter is much handier. How "new to us" is this coach?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
See which circuit(s) the inverter powers. trace the output from the inverter to the 120V breaker panel.
It's not likely that it is set up to power all the AC loads, as it couldn't handle all of them.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
170 watts of solar power isn't a bunch and may not fully recharge your batteries. This is essential if you have a residential or 12 volt fridge and don't always plug in. You don't want a dead battery when you wake up. Full recharging daily is also necessary for wet and AGM batteries to get their full service life.

The starting place for solar is to have the same number of solar watts and amp hours in the batteries.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would 170W run a residential fridge? Seems unlikely. One out let with the small array and I presume, limited battery bank, seems right to me. Probably meant to make coffee and run the microwave for a short time.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Small solar panels and inverters are usually installed to support residential refrigerators and not much else. Do you have a residential refrigerator?

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, one outlet could be the only one.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad