cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4' LED Shop Lights In Costco?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I have no way to check this from down here but it's worth a shot. Reasonable value?
39 REPLIES 39

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Dang sorry man i do not have the light bulb socket adapter you need.
What i have is double light bulb socket. Its a socket on both sides.

Doesnt have the plug outlet like youre seeking.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mex,

From what I have been able to tell with the non relampable "shoplights" is they are using nothing more than LED "strips".

The strips are glued/stuck to the shoplight body which would be the top of the fixture. IF the fixture is made of steel or aluminum then the fixture it's self is going to act like one huge heatsink.. If body is plastic then most likely the strips themselves are self heatsinking (LEDs mounted to a flexible copper coated plastic backer or rigid copper coated circuit board).

The question comes down to exactly HOW the LEDs are driven?

Do they use a constant current power supply as a regulator, a resistor to limit current or my favorite which is typical of most, NOTHING but the LED string(s) to regulate the current which typically results in the lowest cost with the lowest life (after all the non relampable fixtures are designed and built for those not wanting to pay much upfront..

Most of the non relampable fixtures will already have a diffuser already installed which will already be accounted for in the light output ratings and the fixture typically is well sealed to prevent folks from being able to touch any live electrical contacts.

Now if you were talking about something like a retrofit LED tube, the ones I have, use a all aluminum back for a heatsink and are designed to be installed in open or closed fixtures.. No need for added ventilation or fans.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The 4' lamps. Since they will hang I wonder if a rooftop 120vac fan would serve to knock the Delta T down on a diffused lamp? Or is it as I suspect? A diffuser would kill total lumens? Do these fixtures have convection exits on top? Exits being holes. Without convection the box would become a thermal death trap. A line of (6) 1" holes would put an end to that insanity.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Well then no need to ship im go to that zip monday.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Shipping is to 91910 U.S.A. ๐Ÿ™‚

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I think i have a small box of those suckers Mex. How many do you need? You can have them for free. Shipping from the states to Mexico might end up costing more if you only need a couple. I have maybe 8-10 in a box somewhere. Will be super cheap quality my best guess is i bought them from alibaba 8 years ago. Probably like a buck a piece. If they are $4-5 on ebay you can usually cut that in half or a quarter if you have the time to wait for sites like alibaba. No idea if it even exists anymore.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
https://www.ledsupply.com/

worth a look

Not exactly cheap..

One could get a bit crazy buying stuff there!

Definitely a nice resource though.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
The old Edison base to socket adapter..

$12 each?

Yeah, that is painful..

Haven't had the need to buy those lately but a quick check on Amazon shows them going for $4.99 for a two pack..

HERE

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

Upper left hand item.

They have them online for 12 dollars here.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hmm..

Light socket like this?

GU24 twist lock base..

Ran into that junker on a fixture I bought for a closet light.. Hated the bulb that came with it for yrs, couldn't find many bulbs that would work with it other than low wattage CFL spirals..

Found this item which allows me to install any Edison based bulb, life is much better now :B

Camera and TV? Yes, it is possible to do that.. I had considered trying that setup for my Dad, he had advanced Macular degeneration and was nearly blind in both eyes..

Ultimately and unfortunately, because he also had advanced Dementia I came to realize that he was not going to be able to mentally process how to use it ๐Ÿ˜ž before I committed to putting the idea together.

Several ways to go about this. You can buy a HD webcam, connect that to your PC and then connect PC to the HDMI input of the newer TVs..

You could possibly skip the webcam and PC part and dig up a early version HD camcorder. On HD camcorders they often had a micro HDMI output connector so with proper cable you could hook up directly to a TV with HDMI connection..

You could try any of the newer digital cameras, some had HDMI output connections. Just be aware that most digital cameras have a power save feature which turns the camera off after a few minutes of non use, haven't found any way to disable that on the cameras we have..

The are also commercial made camera/monitor devices with high magnifications already on the market for this purpose to assist folks with limited eye sight but they are costly.. I have seen a few on Craigslist used and they were asking $700-$1000..

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I first need to get my hands on electrical bulb socket adapters that change a socket into a receptacle. Keyed 2 slots. It's nuts. They just don't have them down here. Over the years I must have looked in 50 hardware stores and high-end electrical supply houses.

I want a fixture across a pair of cabinets bracketing the stove and sink. Then in the to-be workshop, I am ready to actually build from my stockpile. But the big chips will take a Meanwell 36 volt power supply and another hideously expensive order of Arctic Silver. I am an OEM for the product. I'll bet two strategically placed 50-watt chips would light up that 15x15 room. I don't use a driver because they horribly underdrive the chips. I set the ma across the junction to summertime ceiling ambient heat minus .3 volt then monitor ma usage on a meter. Shooting the P/N temp directly while adjusting the voltage lets me know where the critical threshold is. 109 watts actual AC draw will be tolerable energy wise. The Pentium 5 spiral heatsinks with fan are difficult with these big chips. Their edges lay out onto the fins. Hence, the silver epoxy rather than tapped screws.

The kitchen fixture may be used an hour a day total but the workshop lights may stay on for 5-6 hours a day so maybe Costco is the best choice. I can always return them and claim I don't like the way they part their hair, and get a refund when they die.

My next project was inspired by gawking at the interior of a hospital surgery room at the giant screen the heart surgeon uses. I would need a 42" screen connected to an overhead focusable camera. Might even be enough to compensate for clumsy fingers. I have no idea what monitor to use. TV or computer. The camera would be mounted on gimbals, pull. Twist, shove, then focus. Do I really NEED to waste money on a contraption like this? Hell no. But being wheelchair bound, I get tired of reading. I hate television. I want to remain creative and continue to help people with remote off grid ranchos. Instant light via battery, solar panels and LED lighting is a life-changing improvement.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I have a driveway gate opener. Takes her 10 seconds to swing both sides open. Small driveway. When car is nosed to wall there is a meter clearance to the closed gate. Mexican screen door on the house. Probably weighs 100 pounds. Not screen it is perforated sheet metal. Sucker would probably stop an anaconda.

It's not the lighting in the dining room as it is my weak eyesight. I can look straight into these "100 watt" eqvt bulbs from 3' away without dazzle. The kitchen has a 35 watt corn light. The walls are white and I may be the victim of Chinese BS as far as power ratings and wattage is concerned. Here in bed' away the 100 watt eqvt standard LED bulb forces me to light up the screen on my kindle.

Mex, pretty much any of the 4ft "shoplights" will be much brighter than a "100W equiv" light.

As you can see from my Lux readings two 18W 4ft LED replacement bulbs are more than twice the brightness of two 4ft 40W T12 fluorescent bulbs. I would highly recommend never looking directly at the LED fixtures, they are like having the "sun" directly in your eyes.

If you compared T8 fluorescents it wouldn't be as much of a difference since T8s are more energy efficient and brighter than T12 bulbs but still the LED replacements would still be brighter than T8s.

Comes down to how you feel about buying non relampable fixtures that WHEN the LEDs in them start dying you WILL have to replace the entire fixture instead of a single "tube"..

If you don't have fixtures then buying non relampable would be cheaper now at $20 per fixture, but down the road, you will have to spend another $20 for a complete new fixture.

Where in my case, I will spend $10 for one "tube" although I spent $15 for each fluorescent fixture and $10 per tube so I have $45 in each fixture. But down the road, I will not have to remove and replace the entire fixture and repairing will cost $10 for the tube that quit.

I don't really trust those highly discounted cheap non relampable shop lights to have a long life after dealing with bunches of inferior LED lights that flooded the market. Which is why I settled on reusing existing fixtures by retrofitting.. And where I wanted more light, I bought T8 fluorescent fixtures and retrofitted those to LED. Not to mention relamping existing fixtures makes my future relamping fast and cost effective.

But, hey, not everyone is willing to step up to the plate with better color selection and lower future replacements but they are willing to sacrifice quality and life for the cheap price upfront, I get it..

Mex, I know you are a perfectionist and a tinkerer so I am not sure you will be satisfied with a non relampable fixture but that is your call.. You might be able to tear them apart and relamp with your own choices down the road but seems like it would make life easier down the road to have a "plug and play" easily replaceable lamp..

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I have 12 of them in my shop for lighting. work awsome, more light than the 9 150 watt incadecent bulbs I have in there at a fraction of the power. they are "white" and colors are repersented pretty good. I have had them in there for about 3 or 4 years now when they first brought them in.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100