cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

83 30' Southwind parked on hill now won't start

Barpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I parked my 1983 Fleetwood Southwind 30 foot Class A motorhome on a hill with a pretty good pitch to it and now it won't start. I poured some gas directly into the carb and it fired right up until that gas was burned up it looks like this coach has about a hundred gallon tank in it and my gauge registers a quarter tank will parking these on a hill with a low fuel level cause them to not start. I replaced an electric inline fuel pump on it and also replace the mechanical fuel pump up off the engine does anybody have any ideas or words of wisdom?
9 REPLIES 9

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Can ya coast it to the bottom?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Try taking fuel line loose at the carb to see if fuel pump is working.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
why not add some more gas to the tank 5 gallon gas jugs until it starts

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:

Did you check to make sure you're getting a spark? If not, check the coil and ignition module.

Did you check the battery?

OP said it started by pouring fuel into the carb so those wouldn't be the issue.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL. My son'in law was using my old boat. It stopped running. I asked him if he had planed it out (leveled it). He said no. I said start it and drive it slowly. It was fine. I had to explain how fuel seeks the lowest point. The pick-up tube was in the middle of the tank....the fuel was not. I also told him I could no longer walk on water to help him, since I was on shore and he was in the middle of the lake. My daughter said she would never go out alone in my boat without me.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you try to start it do you see fuel shooting into the carb? If not, then you have a fuel issue (clogged filter, not enough fuel, etc).

Did you check to make sure you're getting a spark? If not, check the coil and ignition module.

Did you check the battery?

Been there with my clipper. Have had all the above as the cause.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Classic 35 year old problem. Needs a professionally installed electric fuel pump at the tank.

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure there fuel. Don't trust the gauge. Nose down? Did it run when it was parked. How long has it sat at an angle? You can throw a lot of parts but it won't run without gas.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
How long has rig been sitting?
Possible float is stuck in carb.
On slope it is possible that pick up is out of the fuel. Add maybe five gallons of fuel.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker