My Water Pump Was Going..........

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Brrrrp.........

Brrrrrp.......

Brrrrrp.....

About every 3-4 minutes.

I thought I had a leak somewhere, which wouldn’t surprise me since I replaced the galley sink faucet a few months back. But, not a drop of water anywhere. So, to isolate the problem I installed a shutoff valve in the waterline on the pressure side. I’d been wanting to do that ever since the original pump failed a few years ago, and was leaking all over the place. Having a a way to isolate the pump would have been helpful. It was helpful now as well.

The new shutoff valve is circled.

With the valve opened, it does this every few minutes. (This is an iCloud link. Just click on the little thumbnail in the lower left. It’s a 5 second video)

Shutoff Valve Opened

With the valve closed it no longer has all the plumbing in the camper to pressurize, so it cycles much faster.

Shutoff Valve Closed

There’s a problem in the pump head, and it’s letting pressure bleed back into the water tank through the suction side. I was hoping it was just a matter of cleaning the diaphragms and valves up, but I pulled the head apart and found this.

I can’t fix that, so I replaced the pump with a new Shurflow pump I had been carrying around since the last failure. The AquaPro is still under warranty, so I’ll try to get it replaced. I hope this isn’t an indication of the quality of the AquaPro pump, because it’s much quieter than the Shurflow.

That Shurflow Shur is noisy. :R

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!
7 REPLIES 7

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I have a non-return valve just before my pump. Pointed up.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Got it thanks, I'll remember that.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
I've stared at that last picture where you disassembled the pump for 5 minutes to see what is wrong but what is wrong?

Sorry, I should have circled that. 🙂

The item I’ve circled in the image below I believe is a check-valve that prevents the water in the pressure side of the pump from bleeding back into the suction side. Two of the little plastic legs of the cage supporting the rubber diaphragm are broken, and a bit of the rubber is poking through. With the shutoff valve closed, there’s very little water line left to hold pressure, so it bleeds down quickly making the pump cycle faster.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Right about the Surflo pumps being noisy, even the ones they say are quiet even with good shock absorbing feet and on a solid wall...
I installed a small Accumulator, 2 gallon.... OMG it is so nice. I get about 3 qt. of water before the pump turns on.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
I've stared at that last picture where you disassembled the pump for 5 minutes to see what is wrong but what is wrong?

KLYoung
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know about the replacement. Whether you get it or not. Thanks.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Good work! Seems a long lost art to finding the root of the problem, be it an RV water pump issue (and seeing the issue literally, not just guessing!), a car/truck, or appliance of some sort.

Everyone replaces parts. Anyway, just had to say gave me a kick to see someone find root cause!!!!