cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Accidentally plugged into 220v

xnizstudio
Explorer
Explorer
So yes I made a mistake and wired the RV outlet into a 240v dual pole breaker at the house . The converter is toast . I have a keystone Laredo fifth wheel .

I took the tv and microwave out and tested inside my house. They seemed okay. At the time of the overload , the AC was powered off. So I know that itโ€™s hard
To say what else burned up. Iโ€™m hoping since the microwave and tv still work that nothing else was damaged . It was plugged In for about 20 seconds. Smoke was coming from the converter . The replacement converter will be here tomorrow. Hopefully this is the only damage.

I talked to my insurance company and they will cover any damage .

Just figured Iโ€™d post here and let you guys know how it goes.

At least I only have a $100 deductible ๐Ÿ˜•

Edit: The following page outlines the difference between 240v and 120v breaker layouts/installments.

https://www.thespruce.com/installing-a-240-volt-circuit-breaker-1824649

A 3-wire, 240-volt circuit has two hot wiresโ€”each supplying 120 volts for a total of 240โ€”and an equipment ground wire. A 120-volt circuit has only one hot wire connected to the breaker plus a neutral wire connected to the neutral bus bar in the service panel.

The wiring was fine. I just had the incorrect breaker. You can wire a dual pole 240v breaker to only put out 110/120v but, thats not the best practice and will more than likely fail inspection. So before you reply and comment about incorrect wiring, the wiring was not the issue, having the incorrect breaker was the issue.
121 REPLIES 121

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make it 11, you might have to go into the archive to find it at 12. I'm going to put a reminder in my phone at 11 months just in case I forget.
Puma 30RKSS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
wing_zealot wrote:
Ya'all know your responding to a 4 month old post?
Yes. I might mark my calendar to post again in 12 months ๐Ÿ˜‰

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Ya'all know your responding to a 4 month old post?

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
He He, I can't believe this one crawled out of the swamp again. :B

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
kmb1966 wrote:
how can a 30 amp rv plug fit into a 220 outlet? I have never seen one that fits.

I keep hearing this and from professional electricians as well.

But I've seen many 240 volt 30 amp outlets that my TT-30 plug will fit.. I just know better and the RV itself knows better as well (Surge Guard hard wired type)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

What part of 125 volts embossed in the connector is confusing?

As for surge protectors I have and recommend Progressive Industries and get the full EMS.

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
xnizstudio wrote:
red31 wrote:
xnizstudio wrote:
The wiring job was fine. It was wired properly for 220v.

We'll have to disagree on that! The TT 30A receptacle is not made made to be wired for 220v so it was wired incorrectly.

http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf

"The TTโ€“30 is a 30A, 120-volt recreational vehicle standard sometime it is called simply RV 30. Frequently it is confused for a NEMA 10โ€“30 (see below) with disastrous results. Due to the appearance of the TT-30 plug, many people assume that it is to be wired for 240-volt, but this is a 120-volt device."

Again.. it was wired for 220v indoor appliances using a dual pole breaker. That has nothing to do with the recepticle . If we knew it required 110v , we would have went with the single pole which has a different wiring diagram.

As previously stated, if you have no advice on surge protectors or ways I can checkk for damaged appliances I respectfully ask you to please mind your own business and stop telling me it was wired wrong. I respectfully ask you to please mind your own business and stop telling me it was wired wrong. I know what caused the issue and it wonโ€™t happen again in the future .

It was wired wrong, plain and simple. Next time get a qualified person instead of an HVAC guy!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Two lines with neutral are hardly worth arguing over?

What is being understated is the fact that each 50-amp L to N is rated 5/3rds the capacity of a simple 30 amp service. And it means the 2 L total capacity is 10/3rds the total available energy advantage over a single L to neutral 30 amp service.

The difference between a residential electrician and an industrial electrician is much like trying to compare a school nurse to am ER Trauma physician.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for answering. Allen8106 was accusing me of being wrong. I was ignoring it as links were provided to show that 50A RVS are indeed 2 X 120 which if you can add, is 240. Itโ€™s important because facts matter.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
allen8106 wrote:
A 50 amp RV does NOT like 220. A 50 amp RV has two 120 volt legs and is not 220.

There's a big difference.

This is one of the wrongest answers I have ever seen to any question. A 50 amp RV outlet is 120v/240v. Put a tester between L1 and L2 of any 50 amp pedestal and see, if you don't believe me.

Your S&B house is wired with 120v/240v. You use the 120v for lights, televisions, and stuff. You use the 240v for water heaters, stoves, and stuff. An RV is absolutely NO DIFFERENT. It uses the 120v for 120v stuff. If it has a 240v appliance, it uses the 240v. Most do not, but a few do.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

xnizstudio
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
xnizstudio wrote:
stevenal wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:

It isn't the breaker. The entire wiring is wrong. This isn't on the guy selling breakers, it is on whoever wired the breaker and wired the outlet.

This EE agrees. Was this guy licensed to do the work he did? If so, you should be able to make a claim on his bond or insurance for the damage. If not, it's a lesson learned.

A family member did it who is a licensed HVAC technician. The wiring was fine. If you wire a 240v dual pole breaker to put out 120v, you will more than likely fail inspection.

Even a licensed electrician could have made this same mistake.

Had we knew ahead of time the camper required 110/120v, then the wiring could have been different for the dual pole breaker, but it still would have not be the correct way to wire it. Wiring a dual pole 240v breaker to output 110/120v is still incorrect, even if it works. Again.. you need the single pole 110/120v breaker to do it properly and pass inspection.

As stated previously, and I will continue to state this, if I had the single pole 120v breaker, it would have been fine.

Probably worth the expense to keep peace in the family then.

Two-pole breakers are used all the time to provide 120V. Dryers and ovens for example use 240 for heating elements and 120 for controls. A qualified electrician would have informed you that 2-poles were overkill for this application, and would have provided a 1-pole breaker. It is entirely possible to wire a 1-pole breaker and receptacle improperly and measure 120 V and even have the loads work properly. I see you never had it inspected. You may wish to have a non-family electrician look it over.

Everything seems to be working fine on the single pole 120v breaker. I'm happy to start living in the camper. I've been house hopping for a long time and renting rooms. I'm a single guy, so I don't care to have a big house to live in without a family of my own.

I gotta start doing research on camper living now.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
xnizstudio wrote:
stevenal wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:

It isn't the breaker. The entire wiring is wrong. This isn't on the guy selling breakers, it is on whoever wired the breaker and wired the outlet.

This EE agrees. Was this guy licensed to do the work he did? If so, you should be able to make a claim on his bond or insurance for the damage. If not, it's a lesson learned.

A family member did it who is a licensed HVAC technician. The wiring was fine. If you wire a 240v dual pole breaker to put out 120v, you will more than likely fail inspection.

Even a licensed electrician could have made this same mistake.

Had we knew ahead of time the camper required 110/120v, then the wiring could have been different for the dual pole breaker, but it still would have not be the correct way to wire it. Wiring a dual pole 240v breaker to output 110/120v is still incorrect, even if it works. Again.. you need the single pole 110/120v breaker to do it properly and pass inspection.

As stated previously, and I will continue to state this, if I had the single pole 120v breaker, it would have been fine.

Probably worth the expense to keep peace in the family then.

Two-pole breakers are used all the time to provide 120V. Dryers and ovens for example use 240 for heating elements and 120 for controls. A qualified electrician would have informed you that 2-poles were overkill for this application, and would have provided a 1-pole breaker. It is entirely possible to wire a 1-pole breaker and receptacle improperly and measure 120 V and even have the loads work properly. I see you never had it inspected. You may wish to have a non-family electrician look it over.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"Never argue with an idiot...
They'll pull you down to their level...
Then beat you with experience..."

-- Mark Twain

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
More info pls. Must have been a 30A RV. A 50 A rv likes 220.
How exactly did it happen.

A 50 amp RV does NOT like 220. A 50 amp RV has two 120 volt legs and is not 220.

There's a big difference.

I think there should be a money jar for absolutely wrong answers. I cannot believe how many times this comes up and how many times they make the above statement and it's completely WRONG.

Lets be clear again 50 is FINE on 220, it is the 30 amp connection that throws people and is a 120v only connection.

This REALLY should be a sticky at this point