cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding solar with existing inverter/charger

kbehrent
Explorer
Explorer
I have a factory installed Xantrex RV2012 2000w inverter/charging installed in my motorhome. I am looking to add solar panels to help reduce generator runtime when we are dry camping, which is most of the time. I'm looking to add upwards to 400W of solar capacity.

I have 4 Interstate batteries (GC2-XHD-UTL 6V, CAP-20: 232AH, ReserveCapacity25: 474AH) connected in series/parallel to provide 12VDC and @ 474AH (If I calculated it right)

It seems all the articles I've read assume you have nothing but an existing battery and no inverter capability. Since I have both an existing inverter/charger capability in my Xantrex, How do I integrate solar charging with my Xantrex to help charge/maintain the batteries? Note, I also have auto generator start capability to charge my batts when batteries reach a specific % of SOC, which is currently set to 50% SOC.

If the generator should start and cause my Xantrex to start charging the batts, do I need to disengage the solar panels? Is this done manually or will a solar control panel of some type auto sense this and disconnect the solar panels?

Thanks
Kevin & Angela Behrent
2 grown kids (Dylan, Max), Dog (Roxy)
2005 39' Newmar Kountry Star DP (KSDP3907) - Triple slide
2003 Honda CRV - Toad
FMCA #: 355250
20 REPLIES 20

kbehrent
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
232 x 2 = 464 amp-hours.

Minimum solar panel size no less than 279 watts

If you plan to use the inverter much then the sky is the limit on solar wattage.

I'm looking at @ 400W of solar. I really don't want more than 4 panels so I'm limited to that. I don't want to attach them to the roof, so I'll build/buy a portable stand. I realize I might not get the best optimization this way, put I like the portability of it in case I want to use the panels for something else if not being used for the motorhome.
Kevin & Angela Behrent
2003 Honda CRV - Toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
232 x 2 = 464 amp-hours.

Minimum solar panel size no less than 279 watts

If you plan to use the inverter much then the sky is the limit on solar wattage.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
kbehrent wrote:
Is there a connection between the solar controller and my Xantrex?
The only connection will be that they are both connected to the battery.

Xantrex will just operate as if the battery is always fully charged because it will be. Or if sun is weak or your usage is strong the Xantrex will just operate as what you think as normal.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
There is no special consideration to be taken when integrating a solar charging system in parallel with an existing inverter/charger other than getting wiring nuances and circuit protection correct. Possibly, the reason you don't see mention of it with solar installation methods is that it is mostly a non-issue.

BTW-your 4 x Interstate GC2's have a combined capacity of 464 AH.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

kbehrent
Explorer
Explorer
Shadow Catcher wrote:
Panels to solar controller to battery bank, the other things play well together with the controller.

Is there a connection between the solar controller and my Xantrex?
Kevin & Angela Behrent
2003 Honda CRV - Toad

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Panels to solar controller to battery bank, the other things play well together with the controller.