cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Batteries - Lithium as Option

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
I've read enough to develop questions I can't seem to find the answers to, so I'm here once more to soak it in.

I've had some concerns that the current and original batteries on my Class A might need replacement, even though they're about 3 years old, in part due to my lack of experience in depleting voltage to a point that running off the batteries inevitably runs out of power in the wee hours, with the meters showing me LOW VOLTAGE somewhere in the 11's, so, I'm considering Lithium.

I also have 480 watts of Zamp solar, maxxed out at 26.1 Amps, along with a separate portable 120 watt panel, and a Zamp Solar 30A Controller. Am considering adding another panel or two -if I can find a place to mount them, and realize I'd need a new Controller, maybe 45-60 Amps, MPPT, and should be more than sufficient.

Having recently retired, I now have time for some extended travel, and boondocking will almost certainly be a part of that. I'm looking forward to getting off grid periodically, so power resources are key.

I'm aware of the cost, and believe that this is the most economical long-term approach to my power systems. So I'm willing to consider Lithium, and need some answers to fill in a few holes...

My rig came with 4-12V batteries, each 115 min at 75 Amps, 220 AH@ 20Hr.

If I connect Lithium in parallel, do I double available amps?

Are Lithium's all 12V, and if so, would I need only two to replace what I currently have?

What changes, if any, must I make to existing systems in order to accommodate Lithium batteries?
24 REPLIES 24

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
After having my service guy look things over, he came up with the idea that the sliding tray the batteries were on was taking up a lot of space, and that by removing it, I could not only fit the batteries I wanted in the now empty space, I could probably get 10 flooded batteries in there... a terrible waste of space, he said... but, it appears the best choice for me are the Battle Born Lithiums, and have decided to go with 4-100Ah that should fit nicely, with the tray removed...

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I gave the Chinese mfrs of my lithiums the size dimensions of my small battery box, 14"x8"x9.5", & they custom made 2 100AH batteries for it.

https://www.amazon.com/3-2V100Ah-Lithium-Power-car-Radio-3-2V100AH/dp/B07LBFQGKX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3QDVAKORNTUG0&keywords=lithium%2Brv%2Bbattery%2B200ah&qid=1560184054&s=gateway&sprefix=lithium%2Brv%2Csporting%2C175&sr=8-1-spons&th=1

I ended up dealing direct with them and paying through Alibaba;

Emily Cao | Sales manager
Orient Power Group Limted

Zhuhai OTE Electronic Technology Co., Ltd

TEL:0086 756 8598 852

M/Whatsapp: +86 138 2306 3759

Email: emily2914@hotmail.com;

emily2914@orientpower.asia

Web: www.orientpower.asia

Skype Chat: emily2914

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/orientpower.asia

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œ Does anyone see an issue with this approach?โ€œ

YES, youโ€™ll be starving-out the good guys at PG&E - lol !!.... Not a problem so long as your battery manufacturerโ€™s specs allow for parallel connection...Might be a good time to consider an upgrade of your cables as well...

3 tons

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
First, the dilemma, then the answer... My dilemma came about regarding dimensions.

Initially, it appeared I would have trouble fitting them in, because the dimensions of the Li were larger than the battery tray - too long by about 3". Even with the 100Ah, I could only get 3 in, length-wise front-to-back, to replace my 4 flooded jars. That meant removing the tray, having it modified to fit the new Li's. Then I remembered something... these Li's can pretty much be positioned any way one chooses, absent upside down, so I measured the battery compartment, and discovered I have about 20 1/2 inches of height open to me, and at 19.1/16", standing both of the 200Ah I wanted on end, wired in parallel, they would fit just fine, as long as they were strapped down and secured to the tray... I would then have 400Ah at the core of the system.

Does anyone see an issue with this approach?

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
obiwancanoli wrote:
Would it make sense to replace my four 6-Volt batteries with 3 Li, assuming boondocking would become my primary activity? Two would seem sufficient for routine camping needs, but if I'm off-grid, I like to have plenty of back up, should it be needed...

Hmmm.... I think I figured out the answer...

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Would it make sense to replace my four 6-Volt batteries with 3 Li, assuming boondocking would become my primary activity? Two would seem sufficient for routine camping needs, but if I'm off-grid, I like to have plenty of back up, should it be needed...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
mchero,

Here is some more information:

"Shari from Azimuth to answer your questions... The ones above are manufactured in China by a Canadian company, Soneil Electronics. Soneil has been around since 1994, but they made smaller size light traction SiO2 batteries for the healthcare and materials handling industries. It wasn't until a few years ago that they expanded into larger size deep cycle solar. RV, telecom and marine sizes. They haven't been that great at marketing so they are a best kept secret. Lead crystal / SiO2 batteries are currently being made by Betta Batteries(Australia), Green Rhino (Germany) and Soneil Electronics (Canada). I have attached some studies of lead crystal / SiO2 batteries for review. ๐Ÿ™‚ So far, all the ones in the field are exceeding our expectations."

video https://youtu.be/ZFnjIodpI30

discharge to one volt https://youtu.be/O45eLd5YotM
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
What is wrong w/ lead acid. If I had money to burn, I would still buy lead acid !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
mchero wrote:
Nice find Phil. Looks like more research!

I have to give credit for me learning of these great (I think, so far) RV batteries to this poster -> "pianotuna"

Here's the link where I first learned of them from him:
https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30125372/gotomsg/30125409.cfm#3012540...
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Nice find Phil. Looks like more research!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Like any other battery they should be stored at 100% SOC, but do NOT require any trickle charging, even when stored for months.

Actually, you don't want to store them at 100%. This will actually damage them long term.

50% is ideal but 80-90% is far enough from 100% that it addresses most of the concern.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
obiwancanoli wrote:
I've read enough to develop questions I can't seem to find the answers to, so I'm here once more to soak it in.

I've had some concerns that the current and original batteries on my Class A might need replacement, even though they're about 3 years old, in part due to my lack of experience in depleting voltage to a point that running off the batteries inevitably runs out of power in the wee hours, with the meters showing me LOW VOLTAGE somewhere in the 11's, so, I'm considering Lithium.

I also have 480 watts of Zamp solar, maxxed out at 26.1 Amps, along with a separate portable 120 watt panel, and a Zamp Solar 30A Controller. Am considering adding another panel or two -if I can find a place to mount them, and realize I'd need a new Controller, maybe 45-60 Amps, MPPT, and should be more than sufficient.

Having recently retired, I now have time for some extended travel, and boondocking will almost certainly be a part of that. I'm looking forward to getting off grid periodically, so power resources are key.

I'm aware of the cost, and believe that this is the most economical long-term approach to my power systems. So I'm willing to consider Lithium, and need some answers to fill in a few holes...

My rig came with 4-6V batteries, each 115 min at 75 Amps, 220 AH@ 20Hr.

If I connect Lithium in parallel, do I double available amps?

Are Lithium's all 12V, and if so, would I need only two to replace what I currently have?

What changes, if any, must I make to existing systems in order to accommodate Lithium batteries?

You might want to look into these 12V Group 27 silicon dioxide RV batteries instead. They're about 1/2 the cost of lithium and in my opinion are superior to lithium for RV use:
https://azimuthsolarproducts.com/product/12v-100ah-sio2-battery/
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Lithium label amp hours ex 100
Subtract 10 amp hours from upper end not useable ?
Subtract 10 amp hours from bottom end not useable ?
80 useable amp hours?

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Ran across this battery,
https://lionenergy.com/products/lion-safari-ut-1300
Click product manual in bottom right for detailed info.
You can knock of $150 using discount coupons making them cheaper than Battleborn!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel