cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Antenna issues

thelehans
Explorer
Explorer
Our antenna is not picking up channels as well as other RVs near us. We are thinking there is an issue with the wiring or maybe we need to upgrade the antenna? We purchased used a year ago (2013 model year). Would a replacement antenna be beneficial? Is there a way to test the wiring?
13 REPLIES 13

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure that teeni tiny light next to the 12volt receptacle is on for your antenna booster. The switch to turn it on is just as tiny!

I found mine way in the back of a very dark area of an upper cabinet. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Some tow behind manufactures installed Sensar antennas with OUT built in amplifiers.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Replace as much of the coax as you can, especially the outside parts. Then make sure all you connectors are clean and tight. with the very weak signal levels from the antenna down, the coax and connections are the weakest points. The section from the antenna head to wherever it goes into the coach gets flexed each time you raise, lower or rotate the antenna, and is the most subject to failure.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
thelehans wrote:
I'm not saying other RVs have the same issue. I'm saying their picks up well and ours does not. "As Well meant as good as" in my first post

Bumpyroad wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
thelehans wrote:
Our antenna is not picking up channels

as well as other RVs near us.

We are thinking there is an issue with the wiring or maybe we need to upgrade the antenna? We purchased used a year ago (2013 model year). Would a replacement antenna be beneficial? Is there a way to test the wiring?

If 'all the other RV's' parked where you are are having the same problems why would you think it's 'your' antenna! :W

Sounds like the location, trees etc is the problem. Look at which way the antennas are pointed on the RV's that claim they have no channels either......and point yours in another direction.

One thing I think some people miss with turning the antenna for digital TV is that you have to slowly "inch" your antenna around to catch the digital signals. Not like in the old days when all you had to do was give the antenna a spin and you'd have a ton of channels signals. The further away the signal is being broadcast the slower you need to turn you antenna so you don't miss it.

I think "well" means "good"
bumpy

'Well' than...thanks for the clarification! :B

As others have mentioned I also found out that each TV has it's own properties on how well they receive channels.

My cheapo off brand TV in the bedroom only gets 6 channels while the Vizio up front pulls in over 20 all while parked in one spot.

I discovered this at a CG where my neighbor got more channels than I did. That's when I bought the Vizio and retired the other one to the bedroom.

BTW, I also replaced the cable running to the TV, made a big difference in number of channels received. TV repair guy said these cables get abused more in an RV and digital TV is not forgiving with bent wires within the cable and the connectors. Especially if you don't have it permanently mounted where you disconnect it every time you pack up to leave.

Good Luck hope you figure out what you need to get more channels.

thelehans
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not saying other RVs have the same issue. I'm saying their picks up well and ours does not. "As Well meant as good as" in my first post

Bumpyroad wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
thelehans wrote:

We are thinking there is an issue with the wiring or maybe we need to upgrade the antenna? We purchased used a year ago (2013 model year). Would a replacement antenna be beneficial? Is there a way to test the wiring?

If 'all the other RV's' parked where you are are having the same problems why would you think it's 'your' antenna! :W

Sounds like the location, trees etc is the problem. Look at which way the antennas are pointed on the RV's that claim they have no channels either......and point yours in another direction.

One thing I think some people miss with turning the antenna for digital TV is that you have to slowly "inch" your antenna around to catch the digital signals. Not like in the old days when all you had to do was give the antenna a spin and you'd have a ton of channels signals. The further away the signal is being broadcast the slower you need to turn you antenna so you don't miss it.

bumpy

thelehans
Explorer
Explorer
"as well" did mean good... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bumpyroad wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
thelehans wrote:

bumpy

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
We have 4 televisions in the house on an outside antenna.

We have 2 televisions in the TT on a batwing antenna.

We park our trailer in our driveway beside the house.

Every television gets something a little different.

The 4 in the house may get channel 13.1 but not 8.1. The one in the living room may get 8.1 but not 13.1. (same antenna).

The 2 in the camper do the same thing.

It's a 50/50 proposition.

Part of the success to an enjoyable television experience is the antenna. Yes, I agree. The other half is the television itself. Some televisions (even new ones) work better than others regards picking up television signals.

Perhaps the problem is not the camper, or the wiring in the camper, or the antenna on the camper. Perhaps it's the television itself.

Before making any drastic changes, considering swapping out the television in your camper with another television, maybe a small one from your house, and see if the response is the same or different. If a different television, same wires in the camper, responds better, then you know it's the television itself. It's an easy test to do. Try that first and see what happens.

Same with my TT. I have 2 TV's both made by same mfg. but different size screens. TV in BR does not get all of the same channels as LR.
I get the same results whether I use the batwing on the TT or an exterior OTA directional antenna on a rear bumper mounted pole. My TT is pre-wired and I bought both TV's at WM and installed.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
thelehans wrote:

bumpy

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
thelehans wrote:

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We have 4 televisions in the house on an outside antenna.

We have 2 televisions in the TT on a batwing antenna.

We park our trailer in our driveway beside the house.

Every television gets something a little different.

The 4 in the house may get channel 13.1 but not 8.1. The one in the living room may get 8.1 but not 13.1. (same antenna).

The 2 in the camper do the same thing.

It's a 50/50 proposition.

Part of the success to an enjoyable television experience is the antenna. Yes, I agree. The other half is the television itself. Some televisions (even new ones) work better than others regards picking up television signals.

Perhaps the problem is not the camper, or the wiring in the camper, or the antenna on the camper. Perhaps it's the television itself.

Before making any drastic changes, considering swapping out the television in your camper with another television, maybe a small one from your house, and see if the response is the same or different. If a different television, same wires in the camper, responds better, then you know it's the television itself. It's an easy test to do. Try that first and see what happens.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First what antenna do you have.
I have a Winegard Sensar III with Wingman and Sensar Pro. YOU WILL NOT get reception as good as I do unless you have the same set up.. OR spend a whole lot on some very special antennas.

Jack, not as good. Sensar w/o Wingman or Sensar Pro, not as good. ROadstar, Not as good. in fact _______ not as good. per independent lab testing.

Now. the coax. usually roof to antenna. can get OLD. and as it ages bad things happen.. Next you have several connectors.
One at the antenna head
one at the roof or in the roof.. Short story. That connection in my RV had to be completely re-done. new ends (2) and a new double female (Barrel) connector to join them.

Then there is the connection on the switch/wall plate (2) and one at the TV as well.

Plus as others have said. Is there power to the Pre-Amp (light on on the wall plate or the proper buttons pushed and light on on a box with many buttons (Matrix switch).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

thelehans
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! We will look into the booster. We've had other RVers come over to help so I'm confident we're doing something right... I hope. Our main concern is college football season!! Can't miss those games!

Wiscampsin wrote:
Is your booster on? Does your antenna point the same direction as the ones with a better signal? If it's a Batwing consider installed a Wingman. Took me longer to climb up and down the ladder than it did to install and made a big difference.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wingard+wingman&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=781341061478...

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
Is your booster on? Does your antenna point the same direction as the ones with a better signal? If it's a Batwing consider installed a Wingman. Took me longer to climb up and down the ladder than it did to install and made a big difference.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wingard+wingman&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=781341061478...