Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood Furnace Issues

kiakman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

Have a perplexing Atwood furnace issue. This is an AC version. I have done a ton of research, troubleshooting and have the wiring diagrams and repair manuals. This is a new furnace and new installation. The furnace was working until I had to replace the squirrel cage (long story), in the process I think I caused a wiring problem, when one of the blue thermostat wires came out of the wire nut and shorted onto the metal frame of the furnace.

Now; I have 120v properly from the breaker, into the transformer, out of the transformer to the L1 terminal on the circuit board. That's where the power stops, no 12v on the blue thermostat wire on the circuit board TH terminal, no other power. The on/off switch does not change anything. Jumping the Thermostat wires doesn't do anything (both make sense because they have no power).

I have replaced the circuit board with a new Atwood unit. No change.

I'm stumped! Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

kiakman
Explorer
Explorer
Final Wrap up post,

Thanks everyone for weighing in! Confirmed that this was the Transformer; if you are getting 120 to the transformer and no 12v or 24v out (depending on your furnace) than your transformer likely is fried and your circuit board may not have power as it is either 12v or 24v powered.

kiakman
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the delay. This is an Atwood/Dometic 38362 DFL35 120V.

I had a senior moment and originally did not check for power coming out of the Yellow wire side of the transformer. I do have power on the black wire coming off of the transformer side, but not the yellow (24v) side.

I would make sense that the board (and thermostat) is not powering up, if not receiving 24v from the transformer. So... I should have a new transformer to try early next week.

Thanks for the other suggestions:
- I did check the sail switch and it appears well.
- To the one poster, there is not 'a fuse' on 120v units. So that others aren't looking for it, there is a breaker on source power and an On/Off switch only.

Thanks everyone, all is pointing to me having blown the transformer. I'll report back.

Since I have tried two circuit boards

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You replaced the impellor wheel. Now, on some model Atwoods IF the SAIL switch is non functioning, it will cause shut down of the Circuit board. Since the Sail switch is going to be disturbed when replacing the Impellor, make sure the Sail switch is connected and is not broken or "closed circuit" all the time. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
My old manual shows could be either 12 or 24 depending on model!
Waiting for OP to post exact model number.

AC Furnace...transformer can only change the voltage NOT convert it into DC
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My old manual shows could be either 12 or 24 depending on model!
Waiting for OP to post exact model number.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
AC Model.....should be 24VAC to/from thermostat
Transformer drops the 120VAC down to 24VAC ----no 12VDC

What is the MODEL number of this NEW Furnace??
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should be easy. Blue wire is 12v and was shorted to frame, so find the fuse and replace.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Model number of furnace?
I hope you do not have 120 volts on the circuit board! It should be 12 volts coming out of transformer between the yellows.
I am looking at diagram for 8900-III

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow