cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood lp Stove Flame starts to die

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
With both lp tanks full, and performing bubble leak tests on the outside hose connections and regulator (none detected), I have an issue with our Atwood lp stove in our TT. I replaced the lp tank regulator but this did not resolve our issue: The burner flame starts fine right away, ignites high, I can regulate the flame down to a good blue cooking flame, but after about 5 minutes the flame diminishes and turns yellow. Happens on all the burners. Any ideas?
16 REPLIES 16

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
C Schomer wrote:
Iโ€™ve used plenty of adjustable, regulators and set them to the pressure required. There are some really tiny regulators, even meant for pilot lights. You can usually find a manufacturers BTU rating on regulators
There is also a little bit of oil in propane from the industrial pumping equipment, and it can precipitate out into the end users systems. Iโ€™ve had to take sensitive equipment apart and clean out that oil.
I have several water column gauges but I used Fluke bench equipment to check the calibration and Iโ€™ve had to write a correction chart on each one of them. So just use a water column because that is the gold standardโ€ฆ W.C.
Always make sure you have a quick way to turn off the gas when working on gas appliances, accidents can happen! Craig

Thanks Craig. The possible particulate residue from oil in the propane raises an interesting question. What is the wisdom of placing a high flow disposable filter in-line before the appliances to avoid particulates from impacting the function of stoves, furnaces, water heaters, refrigerators ?

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve used plenty of adjustable, regulators and set them to the pressure required. There are some really tiny regulators, even meant for pilot lights. You can usually find a manufacturers BTU rating on regulators
There is also a little bit of oil in propane from the industrial pumping equipment, and it can precipitate out into the end users systems. Iโ€™ve had to take sensitive equipment apart and clean out that oil.
I have several water column gauges but I used Fluke bench equipment to check the calibration and Iโ€™ve had to write a correction chart on each one of them. So just use a water column because that is the gold standardโ€ฆ W.C.
Always make sure you have a quick way to turn off the gas when working on gas appliances, accidents can happen! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I picked up our TT from service, they could not find any issues with the lp stove, they informed me the stove passed a leak test. The also told me they could not duplicate the stove going to a low yellow flame, but I doubt they let the stove run long enough to see that. The furnace and frig don't have any issues running from lp.
I changed out the lp alarm last month since the original one just exceeded the expiration date.
So we are looking forward to starting our RV trips, locally here in New England.
Thanks to all for the advice.
Phil

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
What about other appliances that use propane, are they experiencing difficulty?
Hot water heater
Furnace

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
dougrainer wrote:
JBarca wrote:
pmlevine wrote:
To continue this thread regarding the diminishing flame on a lp stove Dometic/Atwood model RV-1735 BBP (flame starts high and blue, diminishes to a yellow flame after 5 minutes)...
The refrigerator and furnace work fine, I believe the stove issue is part 51062, the stove regulator ($50 item). Part replacement seems problematic: out of stock or has quality control issues.
I brought my RV in for service today, providing the above info.
If a $50 replacement part is not an option, what options might I have? Replace the top assembly of the stove for $$$ ?
I will report back on this thread after hearing from the RV service center, hoping a part replacement resolves the issue.

If the shop finds the stove regulator to be the issue, I would hope they can find an alternate regulator. These are not really special stove regulators, but they do need to fit in the space provided and regulate correctly. Having to buy a completely new stove top just to get a stove regulator is, well, not right.

Yes, please let us know how this comes out.

John

John, wrong! The Stove/range LP regulator IS a special regulator. The stove/ranges run of 10 inches W/C, NOT 11.5 WC. The Stove regulator drops the 11.5 down to 10 inchs W/C. So, you need the regulator built for 10 inches W/C. It is rare for this regulator to fail for pressure. Usually leaks. The OP needs to connect a seperate 20lb LP tank with the hose and 3/8 connector DIRECT to the stove and then test run. I believe his problem is the rubber LP supply line is slightly kinked causing it to run for a few minutes, and then goes out. This is especially true if the Stove is mounted in a slide room. Doug

Hi Doug,

I can tell by your response you may have taken my set of words out of context. I fully agree with what you are saying about the function of a "stove regulator". The term used in industry as a step-down regulator on a range.

I used the wording "stove regulator" as a specific device. Not a main tank (2-stage) regulator. I'm sure you will agree on the purpose of a "stove regulator" in a camper serves the same purpose as a stove regulator in a home stove/range. The purpose is to drop the stove supply pressure down to 10" WC to allow the stove to burn more consistently when other appliances on the 11" WC LP line starts and stops as the main tank regulator adjusts for LP loads on the main line. In the camper, when the furnace kicks on, the main line may boost up 12 or 13" WC and come back down closer to the 11" WC setpoint. The "stove regulator" tames this spike down to a more even 10" WC if it works correctly. Agree?

My point was, if the shop states they have to sell an entire range top to get a new stove regulator, that's not right. You got to be kidding me if they do say that. If Dometic is having a supply issue, an alternate, correctly sized, stove regulator can be used.

Atwood went through several different brands of stove regulators over the years, I'm sure you saw that. And so has Suburban.

Your kinked rubber hose thought, yes, good thought, I did not think of that, it is possible., Good point.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
JBarca wrote:
pmlevine wrote:
To continue this thread regarding the diminishing flame on a lp stove Dometic/Atwood model RV-1735 BBP (flame starts high and blue, diminishes to a yellow flame after 5 minutes)...
The refrigerator and furnace work fine, I believe the stove issue is part 51062, the stove regulator ($50 item). Part replacement seems problematic: out of stock or has quality control issues.
If a $50 replacement part is not an option, what options might I have? Replace the top assembly of the stove for $$$ ?
I will report back on this thread after hearing from the RV service center, hoping a part replacement resolves the issue.

If the shop finds the stove regulator to be the issue, I would hope they can find an alternate regulator. These are not really special stove regulators, but they do need to fit in the space provided and regulate correctly. Having to buy a completely new stove top just to get a stove regulator is, well, not right.

John

John, wrong! The Stove/range LP regulator IS a special regulator. The stove/ranges run of 10 inches W/C, NOT 11.5 WC. The Stove regulator drops the 11.5 down to 10 inchs W/C. So, you need the regulator built for 10 inches W/C. It is rare for this regulator to fail for pressure. Usually leaks. The OP needs to connect a seperate 20lb LP tank with the hose and 3/8 connector DIRECT to the stove and then test run. I believe his problem is the rubber LP supply line is slightly kinked causing it to run for a few minutes, and then goes out. This is especially true if the Stove is mounted in a slide room. Doug

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
pmlevine wrote:

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer

John_Burke
Explorer
Explorer
Try your furnace. That way you can get a better idea if it is the stove or a supply issue, propane bottles or regulators

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
I keep finding the Atwood 51062 as "no longer available" where I normally buy them from. Not sure if that means those sellers cannot obtain them or if Dometic discontinued that part number.

Suburban uses (or used to) the same Seventh Generation R-60 regulator, and RVUpgrades here in Ohio has 10 in stock. Suburban calls it out as "SUBURBAN 161140 RV RANGE STOVE REGULATOR". Check your numbers to compare the Seventh Generation numbers in that link's picture. Atwood did change brands over the years, but the part number stayed the same. I am not sure your stove has the Seventh Generation regulator.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Suburban-161140-Propane-Regulator-p/41-1021.htm

I bought from RVUpgrades many times before and had a positive experience. You can also try to hit on the Suburban part number for places closer to you or an RV dealer.

That is what you requested, but I will add this comment. I have little faith that those R-60 regulators will work correctly unless they solve their problems in manufacturing. I bought 6 of them in 2019 to have on hand, and none regulate; they pass the upstream pressure downstream, and Dometic would not help. See this post of mine from 2019. https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29878042/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

I would make your manometer and test the old one in place; the test will tell you if the problem if the regulator is not passing gas. It is a normally open regulator, and the pressure starts closing it. You hook up on the orifice of the burner near the control knob. Take the burner tube off. If you have electric ignition on the burners, pull the fuse on that circuit, so the igniter does not fire during your test.

Your location states Massachusetts, well below the 4,500 to 5,000 ft elevation issues unless you are out west now trying to fix this.

I hope this helps, and let us know how you make out.

John

PS. If you have a friend or a local gas appliance repair place, they will have all the test equipment you need.

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
I will try to fabricate a tubing/water/manometer, if this indicates the stove regulator is the issue, finding available replacement stock may be an issue. Looks like the regulator (Dometic 51062) is out of stock everywhere. Used regulators on eBay don't sound like a good option.
Any suggestions on where to purchase this regulator?

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Pmlevine.
It is pretty clear that the fuel pressure is dropping.
You can measure the pressure. All you need is a yardstick, some clear tubing and some elastic bands. Size the tuning so it can be pushed onto one of the burner jets. Use the rubber bands to hold the tubing to the yard stick. Put water in the tubing. You have just made a Manometer. A very common engineering tool.

Now, turn the gas on. The yardstick will make figuring the difference between the levels real simple. It should be 11". (Anybody that works with this will call that 11"WC - Water Column.)

Does it start out there? Yes is good.
Does it stay at that level with a burner going? No is bad.

Now you just need to find out why it isn't staying at 11". Crud in the regulator is a common issue, but seldom with anything so new. Regulators are typically not serviceable, but the are cheap to buy and replace.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, the TT in question is a 2016 Winnebago Micro Minnie. The stove is a Dometic/Atwood model RV-1735 BBP. Looks like it is a rubber hose running about 15 feet under the TT.
I can do a leak test on the stove regulator, but donโ€™t have the gear to check regulator pressure. Looks like I can buy another regulator (#51062), and install/seal the connections.
I think the oil particulate from the lp/rubber hose sounds like this may have impacted the regulatorโ€ฆ

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Snip...

pmlevine wrote:
With both lp tanks full, and performing bubble leak tests on the outside hose connections and regulator (none detected), Happens on all the burners. Any ideas?

We really need more info, year, model of the camper, and model of the stove helps too, but here are some big picture things.

You said, a bubble leak on the outside hose connections; some of the newer campers are using rubber hoses as the main gas lines under the camper. Meaning many and lots of hoses, not just a single hose from the outlet of the regulator to the main 1/2" sch 40 hard pipe gas line with flexible copper tubing runs to the appliances or years ago. Does your camper have long runs the length of the camper with a rubber hose?

Over time, LP gas brings oil out of the rubber hose, and that oil can start clogging things up. I have this exact issue on a 6 ft long rubber hose from a portable 5 lb tank to my BBQ grill and outside stove. BUT, it does take years to create that much oil.

As was stated by the other poster, there is a 11" WC step-down to 10" WC stove regulator in the stove itself to help create even burner gas flow when other appliances start and stop. Not knowing how old your camper is, Atwood had different brands of stove regulators over the years. And for the newer ones, since Dometic took over, I have little faith they will regulate at all. You really need a LP gas gauge or manometer to test the one you have rather than just changing it. The old one may be working and the problem is elsewhere.

What elevation above sea level is the camper at when this problem acts up? There have been several issues reported on the Dometic/Atwood stoves that the burners will not work above 4,500 to 5,000 ft. And Dometic tells them they won't work.

Give us some more to go on to help better.

John