cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries serviced

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the huge amount of heat we have had this spring and summer in the South, we have traveled very little since January. The rig stays plugged in to 30 amp with occasional short drives to keep the tires healthy. I figured it was time to take a look at at the house batteries. I had two gallons of distilled water waiting in the fridge where I kept it stored. There are 6 six volt batteries that are relatively easy to get to but hard to get water in unless you put it slowly with a small siphon hose (1/4 inch)
I found the same acid level in all the batteries at about the same height- close to the top of the plates. An hour and 2.25 gallons of water I am finished. I washed a small amount of corrosion off of a couple of connections. I am trying to find a coating that is a spray on, red in color, that we used on a previous coach. Never had any corrosion with that but I cannot remember the name. What do you guys use?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow
19 REPLIES 19

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I am cheap. A large gob of Vaseline does the same. Looks ugly, but effective ! Corrosion is a chemical reaction with oxygen (air). Block the air and no corrosion !

Excessive corrosion around a battery post is often a sign that the gases in the battery are leaking past the seal between the post and the case. Typical on older batteries.

^Correct.
And to add, an ad hoc fix for leaky battery around the posts is clean them up and run a bead of rtv around the bottom of the posts, sealing up the gap.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:

ya thats what mine looked like after almost 16 years, the slots up the sides of the tubes are to prevent what you are talking about, I was taught to always fill it to the very bottom of the tube but to never go higher or cover the slots. this could be wrong but it gave you a consistant way to judge your level and I have been doing it for 40 years now.. well aside from in my camper it is LFP now haha, but the 5th is still CG2

No right or wrong way with water level with the exception of making sure there is always electrolyte ABOVE the plates.

Anything between that and the bottom of the filler tube is fair game.

Extra electrolyte above the plates doesn't add Ahr capacity, it is simply nothing more than a spare "reservoir" of electrolyte. That reservoir of electrolyte also allows for longer periods of time between needing to water the battery. So filling to the bottom of rings maximizes the time between filling.

But a bit less electrolyte than at the bottom of the rings allows extra air space also allows for more expansion/contraction of the electrolyte and can reduce some of the acid/water loss through the caps.

As long as you have a decent multistage converter, you really do not need to fuss over them, I don't, I check levels once per yr and has worked very well for me.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
rhagfo wrote:
Well I have seen and used this system and looking at it for Link our two 12 volt batteries. We used on golf carts, and like 30 seconds to fill four 12 cart batteries!

If you have a big bank of batteries, particularly if they are difficult to reach, a watering system is a great idea...if it's hard, there's a good chance you don't do it.

As far as fill levels, I've always hear to the bottom of the tube (but keep the slots clear. I looked up a few links and they all agree with that.

https://www.crownbattery.com/news/watering-your-lead-acid-battery-the-basics

PS: I agree with the others 2+ gallons implies either way low on water or you overfilled.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
When the batteries are fully charged the liquid expands significantly. Do not over fill.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gdetrailer wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Two and a quarter gallons of water for topping off six batteries?

Or way overfilled them..

I only need to add 18 oz for my pair of 6V GC2s (about 3 oz per cell) once per yr which gets the water level to just below (IE not touching) the plastic fill rings..

If you are filling until the water touches or is higher than the bottom of the fill rings you are way over filling.

Basically you only want to have enough water to cover the plates, but not touch the fill rings.

Anything higher up the fill rings results in electrolyte being boiled out at a higher rate which then coats the tops of the battery with acid fumes which attacks your connections.

My first set of GC2 gave me 9 yrs of service, never had to clean or grease the terminals. As those batteries aged, they did use a bit more water, maybe 4 oz per cell at yr 9.

weird, I was always told to fill them to the bottom of the tube but not to block off the slots. mine lasted 15 years doing that, but I topped them off 4 times a year and they did use more water towards the end.

It's called "headroom".

Gives more open space for any electrolyte that may be bubbling or boiling to not find it's way up into the tube and ultimately to the cap.

If you fill it until it is touching the bottom of the tube, the splashes or even bubbles that happen within the tube will break inside the tube. Resulting in fine mist of electrolyte (acid) within the tube and ultimately on the underside of the cap. Any slight pressure build up inside the cell can force the fine electrolyte mist into the cap and ultimately is forced outside into the air around the battery.

The distance between the tops of the plates and the bottom of the tubes allows for more temperature expansion and contraction of the electrolyte with less acid vapor being released. The acid vapors have much more area to condense and drop back into the liquid.

Here is a photo I took of my current batteries 2yrs after I installed them..

Terminals stay clean, never had any corrosion issues under the terminals. There isn't any grease or sprays on those terminals to seal them.

Those are a replacement set of batteries, the first set gave me 9yrs but still had capacity left, they power my home fridge conversion and I didn't want to take a chance that 9 yr old batteries might not have quite enough life left for my use. I suspect that I could have easily gotten 11-12 yrs but my food safety comes first.

There is no hard set rule that says one must fill up to the bottom of the tube..

But there is one rule that needs to be followed, never let the electrolyte fall below the tops of the plates.. Just need enough over top of the plates that prevents the plates from ever being exposed to air.

ya thats what mine looked like after almost 16 years, the slots up the sides of the tubes are to prevent what you are talking about, I was taught to always fill it to the very bottom of the tube but to never go higher or cover the slots. this could be wrong but it gave you a consistant way to judge your level and I have been doing it for 40 years now.. well aside from in my camper it is LFP now haha, but the 5th is still CG2
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

Or way overfilled them..

I only need to add 18 oz for my pair of 6V GC2s (about 3 oz per cell) once per yr which gets the water level to just below (IE not touching) the plastic fill rings..

If you are filling until the water touches or is higher than the bottom of the fill rings you are way over filling.

Basically you only want to have enough water to cover the plates, but not touch the fill rings.

Anything higher up the fill rings results in electrolyte being boiled out at a higher rate which then coats the tops of the battery with acid fumes which attacks your connections.

My first set of GC2 gave me 9 yrs of service, never had to clean or grease the terminals. As those batteries aged, they did use a bit more water, maybe 4 oz per cell at yr 9.

weird, I was always told to fill them to the bottom of the tube but not to block off the slots. mine lasted 15 years doing that, but I topped them off 4 times a year and they did use more water towards the end.

It's called "headroom".

Gives more open space for any electrolyte that may be bubbling or boiling to not find it's way up into the tube and ultimately to the cap.

If you fill it until it is touching the bottom of the tube, the splashes or even bubbles that happen within the tube will break inside the tube. Resulting in fine mist of electrolyte (acid) within the tube and ultimately on the underside of the cap. Any slight pressure build up inside the cell can force the fine electrolyte mist into the cap and ultimately is forced outside into the air around the battery.

The distance between the tops of the plates and the bottom of the tubes allows for more temperature expansion and contraction of the electrolyte with less acid vapor being released. The acid vapors have much more area to condense and drop back into the liquid.

Here is a photo I took of my current batteries 2yrs after I installed them..

Terminals stay clean, never had any corrosion issues under the terminals. There isn't any grease or sprays on those terminals to seal them.

Those are a replacement set of batteries, the first set gave me 9yrs but still had capacity left, they power my home fridge conversion and I didn't want to take a chance that 9 yr old batteries might not have quite enough life left for my use. I suspect that I could have easily gotten 11-12 yrs but my food safety comes first.

There is no hard set rule that says one must fill up to the bottom of the tube..

But there is one rule that needs to be followed, never let the electrolyte fall below the tops of the plates.. Just need enough over top of the plates that prevents the plates from ever being exposed to air.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gdetrailer wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

Or way overfilled them..

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:

Or way overfilled them..

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I have seen and used this system and looking at it for Link our two 12 volt batteries. We used on golf carts, and like 30 seconds to fill four 12 cart batteries!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you used 2.25 gallons of distilled water on six batteries with a total of 18 cells, each cell averaged 16 ouncesโ€ฆa pintโ€ฆto bring it to the proper levelโ€ฆby my math.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
2.25 gallons in six batteries? I'd say they were pretty low.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Explorer II
Explorer II
I used this NOCO Kit on my truck 6 years ago and it still looks as new as it did when I applied it
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad