cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery temp

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
I have moved from the world of MH to the world of TT. Anyways I have installed the Bogart TM2030 and SC2030 system. In the MH I ran 200 watts and heat caused by charging at 10+ amps was not much of a concern. I have so far installed 320 watts with another 320 watts in the garage waiting for install. The batteries in the MH were 12 volt and under the steps. They were well protected from thermo temp change. The TT batteries are CG2 6 volt on the tongue in black boxes. The battery temp sensor showed much more rapid temp swings due to the exposed "black" battery boxes. Now I can move the temp sensor from the post to the inner side to reduce the temp sensor issues, but I am now concerned the black boxes will cause higher temp changes that will cause higher water consumption and battery life issue's. What are your thought's on this subject? What would you do to control/reduce the rapid temp changes at the battery?
Thanks
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal
6 REPLIES 6

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht318 wrote:
I put a K type thermocouple on the side of my Northstar AGM battery on a center cell.

Basically my battery is always in use, charging or discharging. I have been surprised at the average temperatures the battery holds, under discharge and how much it heats during absorption, then maintains the heat during discharge too.

Like today at 2Pm. battery was taking 2.2 amps at 14.3v. ambient was 74.2, battery temp was 84.7f.

Right now 11:30PM , 27Ah from full, battery temp 77.8f, ambient temp 69.7f.

My charge controller does not have temp compensation.

Ya it's kewl to see the relationships between temp/charge/discharge cycles isn't it?
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I think thick white highway line market paint is your best option for reducing box heat, unless you can find some insulated boxes
Spray on foam, then painted over with white ?

Yes white to reflect and not Adsorb heat is a good idea. Spray on foam thanks for the ideas.
Boondocking is my Deal

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
I put a K type thermocouple on the side of my Northstar AGM battery on a center cell.

Basically my battery is always in use, charging or discharging. I have been surprised at the average temperatures the battery holds, under discharge and how much it heats during absorption, then maintains the heat during discharge too.

Like today at 2Pm. battery was taking 2.2 amps at 14.3v. ambient was 74.2, battery temp was 84.7f.

Right now 11:30PM , 27Ah from full, battery temp 77.8f, ambient temp 69.7f.

My charge controller does not have temp compensation.

MrWizard
I think thick white highway line market paint is your best option for reducing box heat, unless you can find some insulated boxes
Spray on foam, then painted over with white ?
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
paint them white ?

the temp sensor should control the charge rate
and thus control water loss
you just end up with slower charging at reduced voltages

Yep and I would like to avoid false slower charging if I can. Thank you for your thoughts.
Boondocking is my Deal

MrWizard
paint them white ?

the temp sensor should control the charge rate
and thus control water loss
you just end up with slower charging at reduced voltages
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s