cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best range/oven to purchase?

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Ive got a 22”, 3 burner Amana range/oven. I think its sold with other names stamped on it too. Looks like this..

https://www.plessers.com/Amana/aly2280bds.htm

Have continuously had problems with the pilot going out and the oven shutting down.
Temperature control is also not accurate, but i have a Fluke multimeter that measures temperature for that.

Wife bought all kinds of stuff for a big baking day today...
Yup, cant keep her lit again. Ive set pilot high, med, low. Sometimes soots up the pilot temp sensor.

WHAT IS A GOOD RELIABLE OVEN TO BUY?
16 REPLIES 16

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Oh ok. Good engineering practice.

So, would you happen to know how or what screw to turn to adjust temp calibration?
The temperature has always been off. I have to get my multimeter out every time the overseer wants to bake..

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
groundhogy wrote:
Thanks for the link.
I saw a video where the guy pulled out a spring loaded magnet switch from the whole valve assembly. Looked like a tiny cartridge. I guess the thermocouple produces enough energy to pull that switch on/off.

It converts the heat from the pilot and has 2 metals that when heated (or cooled) produce milliamps. It's a sensor that controls a valve that allows gas flow in the presence of a pilot, or shuts it off if there is no pilot. Keeps your rig from filling up with LP if there is no pilot to burn it. When they go bad they can no longer control this valve and the default is off (no gas flow).
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link.
I saw a video where the guy pulled out a spring loaded magnet switch from the whole valve assembly. Looked like a tiny cartridge. I guess the thermocouple produces enough energy to pull that switch on/off.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Could be as simple as a bad thermocouple. Cheap and easy to replace.

The thermocouple is the device that detects the presents of flame at the pilot flame.

It's a safety device really. It has to detect a pilot before it will allow gas to flow, otherwise it shuts it off. They go bad over time. I've had to replace them on gas fireplaces, ovens, water heaters etc.

I would try this before anything else. It's a $10 part and takes about 10 minutes to replace. Worth a try and cheaper than a new oven if it solves your problem. Just unscrew the old one, and screw in a new one, placing the tip in the path of the pilot. Plenty of youtube videos on it.

thermocouple example

There's nothing overly specific about one that fits your range. Just take the old one out, measure the length and go to Lowes/HD an get one a similar length.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
RV Surplus houses normally have several to choose from. Bontragers in White Pigeon, Michigan comes to mind.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Seneca_35GS
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my Atwood Range/oven with a Furion unit. The new unit has a interior light and it does not burn the bottom when baking a cake or cookies. Very nice unit at a respectful price.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:

The thermocouple is the device that detects the presents of flame at the pilot flame.
Now if that doesn't work and you end up replacing the range, I would opt for one with sealed burners and cast iron grates.
We got one with a sealed top, but a heavy stamped steel grate, we have some warping of the grates.

Atwood Range
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Please explain further way2roll

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I know a couple of people that have installed Dickerson combination stove/ovens and love them. Hold on to your wallet!

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
On the regulator, it has crossed my mind, but...
-the one in stove is no more than 3 yrs old.
-the main outside one 1.5 yrs old.
-plenty of pressure at range top burner
-this problem existed even with old regulators

In my mind i am wondering about the electrical connection to the temperature sensor to the oven knob assy.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
groundhogy,

The regulator may need to be replaced. The pressure should measure 10 inches.

The oven may heat more evenly with an unglazed tile added above the burner.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
With too high a pilot flame (yellow), it builds up a soot coating.
Yes, ive been on that a number of times with wire brush and sometimes spray.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
That thing you are calling the “pilot temp sensor” - have you tried cleaning that? A very light sanding with emery cloth.