cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't Fill LP Tank

flashgordon
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2001 Coach House class b and can't get the lp tank to fill. The level indicator in the coach shows the tank as almost empty. I have owned this rig for two years and have used the water heater many times and the furnace a few times along with a good amount of cooking on the stove. We are going on a long trip so I figured I would get the tank refilled. I went to a local rv shop to get filled. The guy working there hooked up to the remote fill valve and tried filling the tank, but said the tank is full. There is liquid coming out of the fill vent indicating the tank is full but I know it can't be full after all the use over the last two years. I am hoping someone can shed a little light on this for me. Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

Bessie-Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
If your getting liquid out of the 80% indicator then the tank is full and the auto-shutoff fill valve will not let any more gas in.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Had a similar problem last year with our c-class, the supplier was only able to put in $4 to $5 worth of propane after using it for quite a while. The ambient temperature was over 90F. Propane was coming out the overflow valve. Waited for a much cooler day and was able to put in another $20plus.
Al we were able to figure was that the heat from the road/parking lot was heating the tank to the point that existing propane vented out through the overflow/full valve.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Sometimes the person filling the tank has to bang the bottom edge on the ground once to free the safety valve.

grandpalarry
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
Take a kettle with a quart or so of boiling (or near boiling) water and slowly pour it down the side of the tank from the top.

Feel the tank where you have just poured the water. It will cool very quickly where there is liquid and remain hot a bit longer where there is vapour.

I have been using this method for years to the check the level in the 100 pound tank we have at the stick house. It is pretty accurate. Don't burn your hand!

I first thought this was a tall tail, but it works like a charm.
In as much as your problem, there is a safty valve in the tank that will prevent overfill, mine stuck right after I got my new rig and prevented getting a fill up.
Check with your local LP people, if thats your problem it's an easy fix.
I donโ€™t need anger management-I just need people to stop pissing me off.
Vancouver, WA
2006 Holiday Rambler DP

red31
Explorer
Explorer
I had this happen once @ yellowstone to my 50+ gallon vehicle LPG tank, the first 'attendant' hooked everything up and no flow. The next tried and it began filling. I got ~20 gallons and headed to Cody the next day to a REAL propane dealer to get topped off with less expensive propane.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Take a kettle with a quart or so of boiling (or near boiling) water and slowly pour it down the side of the tank from the top.

Feel the tank where you have just poured the water. It will cool very quickly where there is liquid and remain hot a bit longer where there is vapour.

I have been using this method for years to the check the level in the 100 pound tank we have at the stick house. It is pretty accurate. Don't burn your hand!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
well, seeing is believing. LP is coming out of the tank which seems to indicate that the tank is full. have you tried lighting the stove?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

flashgordon
Explorer
Explorer
There is no gauge on the tank. The remote shut off switch is in the off/fill position as per the owners manual and my wife is the only other person that could have filled the tank but she says she has not. I am really at a loss as to what to do.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
flashgordon wrote:
I own a 2001 Coach House class b and can't get the lp tank to fill. The level indicator in the coach shows the tank as almost empty. I have owned this rig for two years and have used the water heater many times and the furnace a few times along with a good amount of cooking on the stove. We are going on a long trip so I figured I would get the tank refilled. I went to a local rv shop to get filled. The guy working there hooked up to the remote fill valve and tried filling the tank, but said the tank is full. There is liquid coming out of the fill vent indicating the tank is full but I know it can't be full after all the use over the last two years. I am hoping someone can shed a little light on this for me. Thank you.

what does the gauge on the tank read? is the supply valve on? have you tried lighting the stove to get the gas flowing? if there is LP coming out of the overflow then the tank is full. maybe you or some other family member filled it and forgot or didn't tell you???
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Two tanks? Take it to a bottled gas supplier and have them check