cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 3150 inverter generator sound/noise?

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Per my other thread, my trusty Honda EU3000is generator failed on my last trip.

It has served me exceptionally for the last 13 years. Running stretches as long as 11 days at a time (24hous). I cannot even guess how many hours it has on it.

The closest Honda shop is 30+ miles away and wants $210 to diagnose the problem. I am going to try and fix it myself.

In the meantime, I needed a generator and I know the Honda has reached an age that has me wanting a backup.

So, after many hours of reading reviews and watching YouTube videos, I pulled the trigger on one of the Champion 3150 inverter generators with remote start/stop.

I unboxed it and set it up per the docs. It is currently running on my back deck.

After all of the good reviews that I read, I am VERY disappointed with how loud it is. Reviewers reported that it was "almost" as quiet as the Honda.

I call BS!

If I had another $1300 in the budget the Champion would be gone and I would buy another Honda.

Has anyone here had any success quieting the Champion? Any suggestions?

Thanks

S.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....
20 REPLIES 20

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
:h Just guessing, but I think the Honda hype threads re not run as often as the dualy, 4WD, or diesel threads. :W

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
The bright side.......

I have 1800 watts of solar panels sitting in the garage waiting for installation. By this time next year I will be much less dependant on the generator.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve got a champion and Iโ€™m feeling a little buyers remorse too. With a load itโ€™s loud but itโ€™s still much quieter than a non inverter. I might play around with blankets or a box to absorb the noise but I donโ€™t want the extra heat to destroy it.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
PNW,

I'd be grumpy, too!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank you all for your replies. I appreciate the input.

I have been a bit grumpy about the whole generator issue.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
50 vs 58 db, short of building a ventilation box, there is nothing u can do. make sure you have it in eco mode.

not exactly sure what you expected. its over half the price cheaper then the honda and has remote start/stop.

did you really expect it to be identical?

No. I did not expect them to be identical.

I expected to have an experience similar to the reviews that I read or watched.

My takeaway from the reviews was that it would be a little bit louder than the Honda.

That has not been the case.

I am currently sitting on my couch, in my house, A/C is running, TV is on and the generator is 40' from the house and I can hear it plainly.

I am committed to a camping trip this week. My camping neighbors are going to hate me ๐Ÿ˜ž

i can't speak to the champion, but i did Db test a wen/HF 2k inverter and it does match the numbers of the honda, so i am not sure why this champion seems so much louder.

Youtube video with db ratings.

After all of the reviews and the responses to my question I am beginning to wonder if I may have gotten a defective unit.

Going camping tomorrow regardless. I am hoping that we have no neighbors. The spot is sooo quiet it a shame to have to run the genny at all and criminal to run a noisy one.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
50 vs 58 db, short of building a ventilation box, there is nothing u can do. make sure you have it in eco mode.

not exactly sure what you expected. its over half the price cheaper then the honda and has remote start/stop.

My takeaway from the reviews was that it would be a little bit louder than the Honda.

I am currently sitting on my couch, in my house, A/C is running, TV is on and the generator is 40' from the house and I can hear it plainly.

I am committed to a camping trip this week. My camping neighbors are going to hate me ๐Ÿ˜ž

i can't speak to the champion, but i did Db test a wen/HF 2k inverter and it does match the numbers of the honda, so i am not sure why this champion seems so much louder.

Youtube video with db ratings.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
You can make it quite by purchasing a Honda.

No problem. I'll take this one back and PM you the address to send me the extra $1300 I need ๐Ÿ™‚

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
Have you run it under load? I've noticed that's where my Champion 3400 shines. The sound barely increases. My old Yamaha would scream in comparison.

I have.

I knew it would be somewhat louder than the Honda. It goes way beyond that. It is the loudest inverter generator I have seen.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:

The closest Honda shop is 30+ miles away and wants $210 to diagnose the problem. I am going to try and fix it myself.

Start with the basics. Spark, fuel, air.

If it has spark, remove the air filter and shoot some spray carb cleaner into the throat of the carb. If it tries to start, you have a fuel problem.

If you get nothing, one of rockers may have come off of the valves.

The Honda starts easily and runs like an old Lister 6/1. Pop...... Pop.... Pop.... Pop.... No power output. Eco setting makes no difference.

I am suspecting the throttle stepper but I am no Honda guru.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to the Honda website the 3000i is 64 db @ 1.5 meters and 57 db @ 7 meters.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My figures came from the wobbly wide web at rated load. I'm sure yours did too.

I do know that my Yamaha did get quieter after break in.

LittleBill wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
PNW,

The noise levels are 58 db for the champion and 58 db for the Honda.

I suspect it may get quieter after the 20 hours of break in and that first oil change.

No its not, the Honda is 50 at <25%, 58% at rated load.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:

Start with the basics. Spark, fuel, air.

If it has spark, remove the air filter and shoot some spray carb cleaner into the throat of the carb. If it tries to start, you have a fuel problem.

If you get nothing, one of rockers may have come off of the valves.