cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter Issue?

tcrespo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a strange situation in my new (to me) Class A. 2003 Georgie Boy Landau with 12V Converter located in the basement.

When I plug into shore power, I want to put my batteries into store mode but still run the AC out in the driveway. If I leave the switch in "Use", everything works great; If I flip it to "Store", the AC will turn off.

I'm assuming that the thermostats are 12V powered and also assumed that the converter takes the 12V power and sends it to the coach, regardless of the battery switch setting.

I've checked the converter - when it's turned off, I read 12.6V at the output (which is the power coming back from the house batteries); When I turn it on, it goes to 13.8V, so I know it's outputting DC.

Am I missing something somewhere? Everyone tells me that I should be able to put the batteries into store mode but still use the 12V from the converter.

Very confused...
24 REPLIES 24

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
joebedford wrote:
What is "store mode"?

Used when not in the RV on an active trip. i.e. Storage.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

tcrespo
Explorer
Explorer
A quick update - I think I have an idea that may explain all of this.

I was reading the manual for my coach, and it mentions that if the battery disconnect is in the store position, and I then apply 120V power to the coach, the led on the battery disconnect switch will light up to tell me that the converter is now working and applying 12V. Mine doesn't do this - it only lights up when I switch it to use.

The 2nd part of this story is that I have an oddity with my generator (stay with me - this will all make sense). To get my generator to start, I have to cut the 12V power to the coach (store), turn on the dash generator switch, and then move the 12V switch to "use". At that point, the generator will start. Note that the generator will turn off if I turn off the dash switch.

So - reading the manual, I see a relay that basically controls these functions and I'm wondering if that relay is bad. I think I found it on Amazon (it's the INTELLITEC 0100055000 Battery Disconnect Relay). $60 for the part - I think I may buy it and take a chance this is causing these 2 problems.

Thoughts?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
So it's just for buses to separate house batteries from truck batteries?

I have a disconnect switch in my 5er but it's just labelled Red and Green ๐Ÿ™‚

tcrespo
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
What is "store mode"?

On my Class A, just inside the door, there's a switch to connect or disconnect the coach batteries. It's labeled as "Use" or "Store"

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
What is "store mode"?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I find that 2 hours on a 2 amp unit is enough to keep batteries charged.

I do one hour then 12 hours later do another hour.

Do measure the parasitic loads--you may need more time.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

tcrespo
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
http://web.archive.org/web/20200228080649/http://parallaxpower.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8194/201...

Note, Page 4 has to do with optional timer operation. Also, note, that the next paragraph states to disconnect batteries(or unplug converter) if leaving plugged in for an extended time. Doug

Thanks for catching my ignorance - didn't notice that I don't have the "T" option, so for now I'll stick with setting it on a 4 hour timer. Just bought the motorhome so the list of replacements is getting expensive!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Doug, itโ€™s tough for some to accept someone who is very knowledgeable about something. And seems to be a real issue here with a fair number of folks. Idk if itโ€™s just luck of the draw (we all know those kind of folks in real life too..) or age, but keep on truckin.
You help FAR more people here with solid RV knowledge and advice than the ankle biters that you upset.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
wa8yxm wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
http://web.archive.org/web/20200228080649/http://parallaxpower.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8194/201...

Note, Page 4 has to do with optional timer operation. Also, note, that the next paragraph states to disconnect batteries(or unplug converter) if leaving plugged in for an extended time. Doug

So does the manual for your flashlight Doug.. Or your portable radio or your _____ Battery operated device_____.

You know you are an " ". Right? The items you listed HAVE NO CHARGE FUNCTION AT ALL. I have been kind to you for the past few years. But, you continue to spout your nonsense and you have a LARGE lack of knowledge. You are the Cliff from Cheers. Doug

PS, you stated you are NOT familiar with the 7400, but state nonsense when it comes to the OPERATION of the 7400. I gave the OP the ACTUAL manual for his 7400 and the parameters and IF you do NOT have the optional T module, then you will get outgassing if plugged in 24/7.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:

So does the manual for your flashlight Doug.. Or your portable radio or your _____ Battery operated device_____.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok that's a 2 stage timed (I am not familure with the 7400 but I am the specs for the7300T and you just typed how it works)

You should be able to just plug it in and leave it on.. Forever.

I had a Progressive Dynamics Wizard.. It works a bit different. It monitors voltage and current.. Batteries low (Below around 90% it goes into BULK or as they call it BOST 14.4 up to .. mine was 80 amps.
Then it dropped to 13.6 to finish the charge

And 13.2 float.

Then after so many hours it would pop back to 14.4 for 15 minutes just to stir things up.

Batteries lasted 9 years plugged in well over 90% of the time (And engine running 90 percent of the rest at least) only time they were not charging.. was if Boondocking, wal-docking or parked at a truck stop having a meal or overnight.

Very pleased with it.. Sadly it only lasted 12.5 years then I had to get a rebuilt.. Thankfully the factory was right close to my "Beaten path" so I dropped in.. They don't do a lot of walk in traffic there ๐Ÿ™‚

tcrespo
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Here is a question What make/model converter do you have. a 2003 good chance you have a 3-stage converter/battery charger/ maintainer.. This type of converter has a "Bulk" mode where it puts it major amps to charge the battery. then an Aborsption mode. low current but generally higher voltage to finish charging the battery.. then it switches to "Float" mode where it can sit dang near forever without damage to the battery.

Back in the last century they had single stage converters (Still do but they are better regulated now days) that had poor regulation and they would seriously overcharge your batteries and kill them.. But that's.. as they say..
"So Last Century" Today the single stages (usually the float voltage) or dual (Bulk/Float) or 3-stage. Some are 3-stage + (Progressive Dynamics Wizard models nd IOTA IQ-4 models) They don't get better than that.

It's a Parallax Power Components Model 7455 - Converter/Charger. Manual says it puts out 14V when power is first applied, and then after 12 hours it drops down to 13.2V. That's about all I know about it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is a question What make/model converter do you have. a 2003 good chance you have a 3-stage converter/battery charger/ maintainer.. This type of converter has a "Bulk" mode where it puts it major amps to charge the battery. then an Aborsption mode. low current but generally higher voltage to finish charging the battery.. then it switches to "Float" mode where it can sit dang near forever without damage to the battery.

Back in the last century they had single stage convrters (Still do but they are better regulated now days) that had poor regulation and they would seriously overcharge your batteries and kill them.. But that's.. as they say..
"So Last Century" Today the single stages (usually the float voltage) or dual (Bulk/Float) or 3-stage. Some are 3-stage + (Progressive Dynamics Wizard models nd IOTA IQ-4 models) They don't get better than that.