Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CUMMINS ONAN 5500 strange problem.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We had a major power failure at our CG this weekend and we had to fire up our generator for the first time. 2014 Cyclone TH

So I checked to make sure it was filled with oil. Went got 20gal of gasoline and filled the tank.

Primed it per the instruction manual.

Fired right up, but as soon as I released the start button it stopped. Repeated that a bunch of times and it would run as long as I held in the start button, but would immediately stop when I released it.

SO..... I went outside and tried starting it from the switch on the genny itself. Worked perfectly and ran for an hour.

Later on I went through the same routine. It would not stay running when using the inside switch, but after going outside to start it, it ran the entire night.

Am I looking at a simple bad switch? Or something more concerning?

Any ideas would be welcomed and appreciated!
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King
8 REPLIES 8

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
We use our TH at a seasonal site and use the garage/patio as an extra room. I made sure the gen had oil in it but had no need or desire to add fuel to the holding tank or run it. Once you do, you have to manage the fuel, exercise the gen regularly and maintain it.

This was an emergency situation where a spring snowstorm with 65mph winds brought down 6 power poles outside the CG. In the end, using the switch on the gen itself, we got through the period without the RV freezing up due to this crazy cold weather we're having.

I'm comfortable with my decision not to have diddled with the gen to this point. I'm asking for help on pinpointing the source of the problem, not looking to be told how to manage my RV.

Thanks!

CJW8 wrote:
2014 TH and you are running the Gen for the first time and when you really needed it? Most folks bring home a new RV and make sure everything works. THEN it should be exercised regularly. I run mine monthly. Start with no or light load- Let it come up to temperature (5 min or so)- Apply moderate to heavy load for a few minutes- Remove load and let it run unloaded for about 5 min. Shutdown.

Do this and it's more likely to run when you need it. Or don't and discover it doesn't work right when you need it most.

Had you done this when it was new, it's likely the dealer would have found the problem and fixed it under warranty. Now you'll likely have to pay to get it fixed.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe -first time- in a campground?

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
2014 TH and you are running the Gen for the first time and when you really needed it? Most folks bring home a new RV and make sure everything works. THEN it should be exercised regularly. I run mine monthly. Start with no or light load- Let it come up to temperature (5 min or so)- Apply moderate to heavy load for a few minutes- Remove load and let it run unloaded for about 5 min. Shutdown.

Do this and it's more likely to run when you need it. Or don't and discover it doesn't work right when you need it most.

Had you done this when it was new, it's likely the dealer would have found the problem and fixed it under warranty. Now you'll likely have to pay to get it fixed.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Latching relay, isn't...

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
might be a relay between the indoor switch and the gen set.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Were you shutting off the generator using the outside switch? If so, possibly it's sticking in the off position.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Either the switch or the wiring between the remote and generator. The switch should be providing current when in the "on" position and it sounds like it's not. It's either in the switch itself or between the terminal for the On position and the generator.

I would start by checking the connection on the switch to see if you have current flowing when the switch is in the On position. You can use a cheap test light to check it. If there is no current, it means the switch is bad. If you have current to the terminal, continue tracing the circuit. It's possible you had rodents chew the wiring or corrosion on the contacts.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I would suspect a wiring problem between the remote switch and the generator.