cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cummins Onan Generator Starting Issues - Help Needed!

placergold
Explorer
Explorer
Our C.O. generator in our 2018 Forest River Stealth toyhauler only starts "occasionally". This started happening last December. It has been in storage since the pandemic started. I've gone out every month to exercise it, sometimes it fires right up, other times nothing. What I mean by nothing, is no cranking, no fault code, nothing. I should say nothing now, the very first time this happened was in the early evening in a campground with no hookups. I hit the start toggle and the lights in the kitchen area dimmed. I stopped trying to start it immediately, and not knowing what to do went and checked the Go Power Solar display, and it was going crazy flipping through screens. It did start right up the next morning, but the lights dimming during a failed startup only happened a couple more times. Since then, if it fails we're back to nothing, except for the Solar display flipping out.
"Finally", after waiting months, it is in the shop being looked at, when I talked to the service manager about it yesterday, he said "it fired right up, each time they tried". I begged them to please keep it in the shop a few more days, and keep starting it, until it doesn't, then figure out why it isn't. What i'm afraid of is this issue will not get resolved, and we take it out boondocking asap and it won't start. And then we are back to square one again.
We would be so grateful to any RV owners who have had this same experience, or any RV techs with experience on this issue, that can give us feedback on what the cause and solution to this could possibly be, it will be greatly appreciated! Thank you for all helpful replies!

FYI, In case someone wants to know, June, the last time I tested them, the voltage on our two 6 volt AGM batteries were: 6.77 volts and 6.79 volts.
7 REPLIES 7

placergold
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop Have tried the toggle outside at the generator as well, nothing.

"Could be a bad switch inside the trailer. Loose wires to that switch. Loose connection on back of switch". I will have them "Remove that panel and check out the work". I think that is a good idea!

I bought a new F37SP Sierra from Forest River back in 06" (I think) did the factory tour back then too. Never had any generator or electrical issues with that rig, and the construction/workmanship was pretty good in my opinion.

Unfortunately, I think the same crew was still there when this one was built too, the construction on this 2018 Stealth is terrible!

MrWizard I will have to take the rig to a "authorized" Cummins Onan repair shop in another town to have the starter even looked at. Glad I made a backup appointment with them for next month, just in case! With so few hours in mild climate, and close to sea level most of the time, I would not expect a starter or related component issue...... Hopefully this issue will get resolved next week at the local shop its in now.

I keep going back to why the Go Power Solar Inverter display, flips out, when a failed starting attempt occurs. In their user's manual they call it a "voltage overload". And yes, I've called them in Canada twice over this issue, to no avail.

Thank you both for your input!

MrWizard
These are pretty small starters
The gear engagement is via spin out against a weak spring
I suspect bad winding or a sticky brush
When the brushes are resting on the bad spot
The you get the current drain on the batteries without the starter turning
I suggest replacing the starter
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
There is also a start toggle on the genny itself. You can use that and cross your fingers if it happens again while camping.

Could be a bad switch inside the trailer. Loose wires to that switch. Loose connection on back of switch.

Remove that panel and check out the work. I have a stealth and constantly amazed at how bad the construction is. The wiring is really bad on my particular 2013. Hopefully that crew is gone by the time they made yours!!!

placergold
Explorer
Explorer
Will talk to the lead mechanic on Monday about possibility of a bad, or loose connection to the starter solenoid. No clicking noise, no nothing. He will hopefully be able to figure it out. This is my 7th RV, never had this issue before. Appreciate the input.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
some times dead when trying to start? no power to starter solonoid or bad solonoid. my boat motor did the same thing, took us about six hours of trying to make it happen, then it did all we heard was click, new solonoid and been fine ever since, p.s the rv shop is not going to spend time searching this out.

placergold
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL - Yes, starts with the two 6v batteries.
Checking all cable and connections are in the work order.
Intermittent connection issue possible.
It does not try to crank, nothing. Lights used to dim when engaging start toggle only.
Generator only has 41 hours on it.
Will ask S.M. about possible starter issue.
Thanks for your input!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
So it starts from your two 6 volt AGM batteries? Have you checked all the battery cables and connections? It sounds like it may not be getting enough cranking voltage sometimes which could be an intermittent connection.
I would expect the 12v lights in the RV to dim when the generator was cranking. This should only last for a few seconds while it starts but would be perfectly normal. How long do the lights stay dim?
I'd find out how much a starter is for the generator and how hard it is to change. If it's not too bad you might get one for a spare and keep it with you. Or, have them change the starter and keep the old one as a spare.