Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator auto-start not working?

timelinex
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2021 grand design 381m.

I saw on my One control panel that there is an option to auto start the generator when the HVAC needs to kick in. I tried it with all my AC's and every which way but it never auto-kicked on. This would be an extremely useful option for when we leave our dog in the 5th wheel (instead of keeping the generator running entire time!)

There is also an option to auto start the generator when battery voltage is low, but I was unable to test that wince I don't run my batteries down that low.

Am I doing something wrong?
7 REPLIES 7

MrWizard
Congrats on having the Generator auto start for the a/c,
I
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
The delay in starting could be to ensure that the rise in temp stays high and doesn't drop again thus starting the cycle unnecessarily. That and I have found that RV stats run on a 3-5 degree variance as opposed to stick and brix t stats run much tighter. As far as shutdown, it's probably a setting.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

timelinex
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
That is Normal a/c operation, and normal control operation, that is not auto generator start, i think you have miss understood the way it operates ,

Actually my understanding is, that's exactly how it's supposed to work. I have auto start on my panel and I set it to a threshold for the HVAC. If I am away, no shore power and temps climb high enough to start the HVAC, if auto start HVAC is on, it should start the gen. That's one of it's main purposes aside form keeping batts charged.

OP, make sure everything is set up to actually turn the genset on, more than 1/4 tank of fuel in the RV, batts are charged etc. Manually start it and ensure it runs the AC.

Per the manual on my C: selecting โ€œAuto Gen Start Enableโ€ on the Multiplex display and then pressing โ€œonโ€. You will also need to make sure that the โ€œHVAC Loadโ€ button is activated will then see a warning screen listing the safety issues associated with AGS usage. You are required to acknowledge these warnings by pressing and holding a button for 3 seconds or longer to enable AGS.

I don't get all those warnings.....

However I do have an update.

I tried it again today doing the exact same steps. The AC turned to cooling and nothing happened. I went to go find my manual to see if it says anything. The bad part is I didn't see auto start mentioned anywhere in my manual. The good part is 10 minutes later, out of nowhere my generator starts and the ac starts shortly after!

So I'm not sure why there is literally a 10 minute delay between the AC "Starting" on the front end and the generator starting. Is that how your guys works as well?

A few other questions.

I turned off the AC and the generator did not stop. I waited 10-15 minutes and it was still running. I assume that is because it is abiding by the other 2 settings I see in the menu (run duration & rest duration). Does that mean when it gets pushed to turn on by auto start it will only run exactly for the run duration until it rests for the rest duration? I figured it would be "smart" and run for as long as the AC or battery voltage needed it? That sounds like a recipe for disaster on a hot day for 30 minutes AC may cool things off but 30 minute down time is enough to really get things heated to unsafe levels.

Can anyone else confirm how it's supposed to function?

THanks!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
MrWizard wrote:
That is Normal a/c operation, and normal control operation, that is not auto generator start, i think you have miss understood the way it operates ,

Actually my understanding is, that's exactly how it's supposed to work. I have auto start on my panel and I set it to a threshold for the HVAC. If I am away, no shore power and temps climb high enough to start the HVAC, if auto start HVAC is on, it should start the gen. That's one of it's main purposes aside form keeping batts charged.

OP, make sure everything is set up to actually turn the genset on, more than 1/4 tank of fuel in the RV, batts are charged etc. Manually start it and ensure it runs the AC.

Per the manual on my C: selecting โ€œAuto Gen Start Enableโ€ on the Multiplex display and then pressing โ€œonโ€. You will also need to make sure that the โ€œHVAC Loadโ€ button is activated will then see a warning screen listing the safety issues associated with AGS usage. You are required to acknowledge these warnings by pressing and holding a button for 3 seconds or longer to enable AGS.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

MrWizard
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

timelinex
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Hey timelinex - I'm not sure that it works that way, but let me repeat it back to make sure I understand...

First of all, when you say HVAC I assume you mean air conditioning and not heat since the heater runs off 12v and doesn't need the gen.

You didn't say what you're doing for AC power to run the air conditioning, but I assume you're using an inverter (since the A/C won't run off your batteries) and not shore power (since you wouldn't need the gen if you have shore power).

If that's the case, then I don't know of an auto-start that's connected to the thermostat to start the gen X number of minutes before kicking on the air. The only auto-start function that I know of is triggered by the charge state of the batteries and comes on when your batteries get weak enough to require recharging.

Are you trying to run your air off of your batteries via an inverter? I don't think that would work anyway. Even if your inverter is wired to run your A/C units (which seems unlikely), the load would drain your batteries pretty quickly, to the point that you'd be better off running the gen the whole time anyway.

Or did I misunderstand your question completely? :B

The more I think about it, we only have two use cases with our A/C (and dogs):

1. We're heading out for the day and it's hot. If so, the A/C runs all day because it's hot all day, so we either need shore power or we need to run the gen all day.

2. It's the evening and it's hot enough to need the A/C running. In that case, the A/C stops and starts by the thermostat because it's not as hot as the daytime when it needs to run all day. In that case, we're home and we can switch the gen on and off.

OK, so I ran many variations of tests, but here is the exact test and setup that I believe tested it the way it's supposed to run.

I am boondocking, so no shore power. The generator is OFF. I did not have an inverter, so that is not in the picture.

I turn on the AC to cool and a temperature that is 1 degree hotter than the current temperature. So if my thermostat says its 80, I turn the AC onto 81. So the AC is "ON" according to the panel, but not running. (It wouldn't run anyways since no 120v). Then it turns 81/82 and I see my OneControl now says the AC is cooling. In other words, at some point a threshold is hit and it recognizes that it needs to "turn on" the AC. It "turns on" the AC, but it doesn't actually turn on since there is no 120v. Which is the point I would expect the generator to start.

Is that an incorrect understanding of how it should work?

Some of the other factors I tried is just setting it to a cooler temperature in the first place so it triggers it while I am still in the app. I also tried all 3 AC's separately incase only one is hooked up. The only thing I didn't try is setting the mode to heat & cool, versus just cool.

dedmiston
Hey timelinex - I'm not sure that it works that way, but let me repeat it back to make sure I understand...

First of all, when you say HVAC I assume you mean air conditioning and not heat since the heater runs off 12v and doesn't need the gen.

You didn't say what you're doing for AC power to run the air conditioning, but I assume you're using an inverter (since the A/C won't run off your batteries) and not shore power (since you wouldn't need the gen if you have shore power).

If that's the case, then I don't know of an auto-start that's connected to the thermostat to start the gen X number of minutes before kicking on the air. The only auto-start function that I know of is triggered by the charge state of the batteries and comes on when your batteries get weak enough to require recharging.

Are you trying to run your air off of your batteries via an inverter? I don't think that would work anyway. Even if your inverter is wired to run your A/C units (which seems unlikely), the load would drain your batteries pretty quickly, to the point that you'd be better off running the gen the whole time anyway.

Or did I misunderstand your question completely? :B

The more I think about it, we only have two use cases with our A/C (and dogs):

1. We're heading out for the day and it's hot. If so, the A/C runs all day because it's hot all day, so we either need shore power or we need to run the gen all day.

2. It's the evening and it's hot enough to need the A/C running. In that case, the A/C stops and starts by the thermostat because it's not as hot as the daytime when it needs to run all day. In that case, we're home and we can switch the gen on and off.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230