cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC power vs shore power

Stevenholly
Explorer
Explorer

I have a magnetek 6300 series model 6332 power supply. This is a 90’s model. I installed new LED lights and they work great on DC power. When I hook to shore power, the LED lights stop working. Can anyone help me trouble shoot? 

9 REPLIES 9

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

what is it in?   I know in the 70's they used to have a switch to change from dc to ac but 90's that should have been long gone.  

to be totaly honest it sounds like somthing is not working right, and you probably don't want to hear this, but in all reality you should change out the whole power center to somthing that will be more efficient, better battery charging and filtered DC output.  I had a 1991 magnetek in my camper and the first thing I did was change it out with a PD 4000 series power center.  not that expensive, I did have to cut the opening a little bigger but thats because I was shopping by price and didnt look for an exact size replacment, which is hard with thoes older power centers.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

How many breakers in the box? And did you add a new breaker at the bottom or did one already exist just with nothing hooked to it?

If you put the black wire back on the water heater breaker, does everything work correctly again?

Any chance of taking a few pictures of the box with the cover removed and and posting them on here?

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

Not doubting you, just stating that doesn' t make sense. Did you just change only the light bulbs to LED bulbs? Or did you replace the entire fixtures?

Can you swap an old fixture or bulb back in to see if the issue is at the bulb end?

Try wiring an old fixture back in or take the LED bulb and plug it in backwards. Does it now work when plugged in but not on DC power?

Do you have a meter to see if the DC power goes away at the fuses when you plug in to shore power?

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

A better explanation and some more information for you. I also wanted the DC black supply wire that goes from the converter in the bottom on its own 15 amp breaker. So I moved it from the hot water heater breaker to its own breaker. When I turn on that breaker my lights go out. 

did you move the ground acordingly to the same circut?   just guessing at this but I had to redo a bunch of my stuff and the grounds presented an issue untill I figued out what was going on?

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

@Stevenholly wrote:

… I also wanted the DC black supply wire that goes from the converter in the bottom on its own 15 amp breaker. So I moved it from the hot water heater breaker to its own breaker… 

This part right here doesn’t make any sense to me. The 12V supply from the converter should be connected to the feed on the 12V fuse panel.
“Breakers” are for 120V devices. “Fuses” are for 12V devices.

Change the words "from the converter" to "to the converter" and it makes sense.  OP is talking about the 120V supply to the converter.
Maybe the LED's don't like the 13-14V that the converter puts out?

@wnjj wrote:

Change the words "from the converter" to "to the converter" and it makes sense.  OP is talking about the 120V supply to the converter.
Maybe the LED's don't like the 13-14V that the converter puts out?

The 120V supply to the converter is not DC, it is AC. Note the use of “DC” in his post.

The OP said - “ … the DC black supply wire that goes from the converter”…, that seems pretty clear to me what wire he is talking about. What he attached to is a big mystery.

It is definitely a bit confusing. The posts are a bit confusing and which is why I was hoping for a better description or even some pictures. Question for @Stevenholly Does the converter in question have a standard 3 blade household plug for power. If so then yes the black wire is in the wrong place and needs to be on the fuse panel and not breakers.