cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic NDA1402 Cooling Fin Heating Element

dgreen1069
Explorer
Explorer
My rig has a Dometic NDA1402 refrigerator. When I turned the fridge on this afternoon I got error code 12. According to the service manual, error code 12 means there is a problem with the refrigerator side cooling fin heater element. I checked the element with a multimeterand found an open circuit (no resistance). I should be seeing 3 to 4ohms. Long story short, I have determined it needs to be replaced.

Looking online, it appears the part (3850674015) is discontinued and unavailable everywhere I have looked. I would HATE to replace the entire fridge for this one simple part. Has anyone else run into this problem? Can I use a different heater element to accomplish the same task and fool the fridge into working?

Does anyone know if I could simply add a jumper in place of the heating element to trick the refrigerator into working? If this is a bad idea or dangerous, please let me know. I am just brain storming at this point.
2003 Excursion Limited
6.0 PSD/5sp Torqshift/3.73 Limited Slip
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow
11 REPLIES 11

Kschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,
I have had mine go out as well. Iโ€™ve been researching this like others. Does anyone still have their old strip? If so can you send me a pic of the onboard installed resistor? Or can you read the letters/numbers on it?
This is a simple heating strip that the temp control board uses to keep fins defrosted and main compartment temp regulated according to your settings.
Ive looked at these type of pads that other posts are using. I was concerned about its power use and it generating TOO much heat or worse.
Currently studying 12v 4w electric blanket wire.
Karl

CarlaJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a bunch for the update and the part info! Good news!

dgreen1069
Explorer
Explorer
Carla, the heating pad I purchased worked like a charm. It is self adhesive and all I had to do was splice the wires into the existing wiring harness that I took off the broken heating pad. I used this one because it had the correct resistance: Heating Pad
2003 Excursion Limited
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow

CarlaJ
Explorer
Explorer
Screen, did that pad heater work for you? I have the same issue and, like you canโ€™t find the part. Can you provide info on the pad you used, if it did work? TIA

dgreen1069
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:
why not just buy a 10 cent 4 ohm resistor?

I thought about that, but I wasn't sure if a small resistor could survive the 4amp load from the circuit.

The heating pad I added seems to have worked. The fridge fired up as normal and I am waiting to see if it cools. The good news is, no more error code. I could not mount the heating pad in the exact space the previous heater was, but hopefully it won't matter. The new pad is on the back of the cooling fins, but towards the top due to screw holes in the middle. At 50w, I'm hoping the pad doesn't get hot enough to damage anything.
2003 Excursion Limited
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
why not just buy a 10 cent 4 ohm resistor?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
dgreen1069 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Other than the Fail code, have you seen abnormal icing on the fins? I would not throw away a good functioning refer just because a defrost element has failed. Even with the Fail code, the refer should still be functioning. Doug

This is what I have replaced over the years as the most common defrost failure. It may be able to be used in place of the discontinued part. Just have to modify how it is installed.

https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/dometic-3851411011-heating-element-water-drain/

The crazy thing is that the refrigerator DOES NOT function with an error code....at least not error code 12. I have never seen icing on my cooling fins, so I am not even concerned about the absence of the heater.

I purchased a 12v 50w heating pad from Amazon that is designed as an oil pan warmer. That should give me the 3-4ohms of resistance the computer board is looking for at start up. I am hoping the heater pad tricks the computer board into thinking all the right parts are there so the fridge turns on. I am not a full timer, so frozen coils aren't an issue for us. We rarely camp for more than two weeks at a time.

If the resistance pad does not work, then plugging in the Part I listed, may "fool" the system with its resistance. Doug

dgreen1069
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Other than the Fail code, have you seen abnormal icing on the fins? I would not throw away a good functioning refer just because a defrost element has failed. Even with the Fail code, the refer should still be functioning. Doug

This is what I have replaced over the years as the most common defrost failure. It may be able to be used in place of the discontinued part. Just have to modify how it is installed.

https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/dometic-3851411011-heating-element-water-drain/

The crazy thing is that the refrigerator DOES NOT function with an error code....at least not error code 12. I have never seen icing on my cooling fins, so I am not even concerned about the absence of the heater.

I purchased a 12v 50w heating pad from Amazon that is designed as an oil pan warmer. That should give me the 3-4ohms of resistance the computer board is looking for at start up. I am hoping the heater pad tricks the computer board into thinking all the right parts are there so the fridge turns on. I am not a full timer, so frozen coils aren't an issue for us. We rarely camp for more than two weeks at a time.
2003 Excursion Limited
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

dgreen1069
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. My signature needs to be updated an I can seem to figure out where to do that. I have a 2009 Discovery 40x now. I may have to look at that option, but for the cost I may just go residential if it comes to that. Iโ€™d get a big boost in capacity for just a little more money.
2003 Excursion Limited
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
The rig in your signature says 03, I would say the frig could use some help.

In my 07 the frig (norcold) up and died while on a trip. I also did not want to really replace the frig. I did however looks at replacing with residential ones. To much wood work for my to make it look like it belonged so that was out. A new norcold same size would mean taking the windshield out to get the frig in. So that was out.

I ended up going with new cooling unit from JC Refrigeration. https://jc-refrigeration.com/
I changed my old cooling unit for their 120v only unit as I do not boondock and am alway plugged in.
I am very happy with the unit and JC customer support is spot on great folks to work with.

Good Luck
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly