cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Engine running rough after storage

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Just started the v10 engine on my 2005 PleasureWay after it had been sitting for about 4 months and it ran rough for about 5 minutes and then cleared up and was smooth running after that. I understand all the concerns about gas with ethanol which will stratify and needs Stabil added( which I did) etc. What I am wondering is whether any of you who experience this adds anything to the gas tank like Sea Foam to help clean the fuel system including the injectors while driving and whether it helps. I would add the Sea Foam as something curative rather than preventative since I'm already using the Stabil. If you do use the Sea Foam, what version would you use? I understand there's different types.
11 REPLIES 11

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
If you disconnected the chassis battery or it went dead, it's possible that the engine computer had to re-calibrate. Engine may run rough until it's brain gets reset.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You also had a lot of rain. Engines don't close valves when they sit
Guess I'm the only one that tried Seafoam and it did nothing. Zero. Engine still ran rough
But under circumstances different than yours.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
If above posts don't help my next step would be to clean the Mass air flow then maybe IAC. But those are down the road if problem doesn't get solved.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for their input. The suggestion that one or more of the injectors had dried has me thinking. I park the rv inside a garage so I don't think water in any of the ignition would be an issue. I have several containers of Techron and will try that simply because I already have it on hand. If that doesn't take care of things I'll go the Sea Foam route. Again, the problem only occurs for a short while like 5 minutes after initial startup and then after that, things smooth out. Once on the road, the problem does not reoccur.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Sea foam fan here.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Right after getting our class C I used Seafoam and it worked great, maybe too great. It really freed up stuff in gas tank, and of course that got caught in the fuel filter, once filter plugged then 2 injectors got plugged up. Then after cleaning out injectors and another new fuel filter, it plugged up the filter again (about 3,000 miles) I changed filter again and then again in another 3,000 miles. Now after 10,000 miles it runs great. I ran Seafoam thru it when mileage was around 100,000 miles. Old owner (Cruise America) apparently didn't waste much money on fuel system cleaner. And apparently the gas is not as clean as the advertisements we see. It runs great now and I run a injector cleaner about every 6 mo. No particular brand but I always make sure I get mixture right.

First I would see if one of your coil over plug got some water in it. Maybe it will dry out after some exercise. If it still does it and if no codes being thrown I would change fuel filter to see if that's the problem.

The injector place where I took my plugged up injectors to tells me that he loves Seafoam. As it brings him customers. By the way I like Seafoam now (even after my troubles) because it really did clean stuff out.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I use Seafoam inplace of stabil. Prior to storing the motor home, I add a whole can to the gas tank. I then drive the motor home and run the genny, each about a half hour, park it and I'm done. This has worked good for us for four years now.

Brian

64thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
SEAFOAM, enough said. I use it in everything I own. Great for the onan also. I have cleaned onan carbs that would not start or run with seafoam. One is on a friends gen for a year now and running fine. Like previously stated. Cheap ins.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
You had a couple or more injectors leak down over the storage period. If you want to clean your injectors, etc add 1 quart of cheap, available at certain sources for $2.90/qt, ATF/20 gallons of gas and hit the road. Run that tank out and fill it up again and it will run much smoother. ATF is a lot cheaper than "injector cleaners" and does the same or a better job.
Randy

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You had some fuel dry up in a critical spot and it ran rough until it cleared.
I would either run a few tanks of Chevron with Techroline through it or dump a can of Seafoam in it. SF is the only "snake oil" type product I've ever seen that actually work.
It's cheap insurance!

btd35
Explorer
Explorer
I use Lucas fuel system cleaner. It works awesome. Run a few tanks and it smooth's out and the MPG goes up usually a couple.

Tom & Beth
05,Grand Junction 35TMS
99, Dodge 3500 Dually.