cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ever Add A Dehumidifier ??

Rollochrome
Explorer
Explorer
One of my two AC's will leak water from the unit itself, onto the master bed, and sometimes the ductwork itself will drip water.

Any recommendations for a plug in dehumidifier perhaps to fix this condition??
1999 Saved By Grace Alone Thru Faith Alone! Thank You Jesus!
2019 F-350 LWB 6.7 4wd XLT-FX4-3.31 on Michelin Defender LTX M/S
2022 3850BH Cruiser South Fork on Carlisle CSL 16
9 REPLIES 9

Rollochrome
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
Check the pan on the roof to be sure no leaves, pine leaves, etc. are not blocking the water from leaving the pan. I check mine occasionally, and if the holes are blocked it can result in water coming into the RV when the fan is on. I also, have a dehumidifier that I only use when my unit is in storage along with a high setting on the A/C. This is basically so you don't have mold growing.

Roger that. Thx

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the pan on the roof to be sure no leaves, pine leaves, etc. are not blocking the water from leaving the pan. I check mine occasionally, and if the holes are blocked it can result in water coming into the RV when the fan is on. I also, have a dehumidifier that I only use when my unit is in storage along with a high setting on the A/C. This is basically so you don't have mold growing.

Rollochrome
Explorer
Explorer
You all have given me some great tips.

Im going to chase all those leads and get to the bottom of it.

Thank you!!

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
The air conditioner on my trailer was installed wrong when new and would pour water into the coach when running. They have maximum install angles which my company exceeded. The base pan would fill up because of the angle, and spill water inside. I drilled two new drain holes in my base pan which fixed the problem.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Rollochrome wrote:
Oh it's definitely only doing it when it is running.

The rig is brand new fwiw.

Im getting a repair guy to come look at it this week and see if he can figure out whats going on then.

Dont want to wake up with wet feet again.

My bet is someone dropped something in the pan when they were installing it and it blocked the drain hose.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Rollochrome
Explorer
Explorer
Oh it's definitely only doing it when it is running.

The rig is brand new fwiw.

Im getting a repair guy to come look at it this week and see if he can figure out whats going on then.

Dont want to wake up with wet feet again.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Is this happening when the air/con is in operation or when the air/con is off?

Air/con units are by default dehumidifiers. You will typically see water dripping off one of the roof corners when the air/con is running.

The unit blows humid interior air over the evaporator (inside radiator looking part) which is cold. Just like a cold glass of ice tea, water will condense out of the air onto the evaporator. It then will drip down into a metal pan which has a hose allowing the water to run out onto the roof and to the ground. If the hose gets clogged, the water will fill the pan and overflow...resulting in dripping inside.

A dehumidifier works essentially the same way except the condenser (outside radiator looking part) is also on the inside. The air blows over the evaporator, cooling and dehumidifying and the over the condenser which reheats the air. Because there is additional heat generated by the electric motors, you get a net increase in heat inside.

If it's dripping when the air/con is off (and presumably raining), you most likely have a leak.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds like a dehumidifier is a band-aid. You should address why your AC is dripping water. The drain could clogged or your seals are bad, or it needs cleaned, etc. But a dehumidifier is only going to help after the fact.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Not really, though I am a firm believer in a dehumidifier when the RV (or boat for that matter) is in storage.

A dehumidifier (like the house-type 30 pint we use) will add HEAT to the interior.

Better to clear the roof A/C drains and insure that they are working properly.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/