cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fireplace in TV, Do they work?

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
One more question. I have a Rockport TT on order and it comes with a fireplace. I suspect it is just an electric heater. If you have experience with this type of unit, does it supply heat to the trailer? Does it replace the usual small electric heater? Do they use a lot of power?
18 REPLIES 18

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Ours will keep the trailer warm down to 40 degrees or so.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Ours is warm enough, 1500W. Blower is light but produces no noise which is a plus. It will warm up a small area OK but not fast. For our 36' MH w/2 slides, it will not heat the whole space. Just the living area. It will keep the front of the MH warm if it starts out warm.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
As others have stated, it's basically just an electric heater. Daughter has one in her 40 ft 5er and it's a nice touch on a cold morning IMO. I was skeptical of them at first but they do work reasonably well.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have one with our Newmar. It came with it. More aesthetic than prectical but does heat some. We do turn it on when watching TV sometimes. Better the CG power than my propane I guess.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Our 40' TT has one, just about in the middle of the TT. It heats the back half of the TT very well. It will eventually warm up the front half of the TT. Ours is a 1500 Watt unit that is thermostatically controlled with a heating range of 66 - 80 degrees (give or take a few degrees).

On colder nights, we put the fireplace on and the furnace. If the fireplace struggles, the furnace will kick on to warm the TT quickly, then the fireplace will maintain the temp. The furnace wakes me up, even though there is a bathroom between the bedroom and the furnace, so I like to use the fireplace as much as possible.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have one in our 40' motorhome and we love it. It heats the front half of the rv on chilly mornings and evenings and we do like the ambiance of it while watching movies. It also looks much nicer than having a space heater sitting on the floor in the living room. I will say that it doesn't provide any heat to the back half of the rv. We use a small space heater in the bedroom for that, although I don't like the looks of it sitting there.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Spade Cooley wrote:
One more question. I have a Rockport TT on order and it comes with a fireplace. I suspect it is just an electric heater. If you have experience with this type of unit, does it supply heat to the trailer? Does it replace the usual small electric heater? Do they use a lot of power?

Well if taint it'll make fer a short hot stinky fire and possibly take the coach with it.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
We had one in our last MH. It was the most used appliance we had except for the TV. As others have said, it gives out as much heat as any 1500 watt heater. If you get behind it, you'll probably see it plugged into a wall outlet. On 30 limit your use to 3 high wattage devices like this and you can get by just fine (like this heater and your wife's hair dryer).
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
no better than a small ceramic cube heater that you can move where ever you need/want the heat. and about $18.00.
bumpy

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
WE have an electric fireplace in ours and we use it to supplement the furnace when it is cold and to add a bit of warmth to the fifth wheel when it's just a bit chilly. It does add a certain ambiance to the living room, but it doesn't put out tons of heat. We have an infrared heater that really belts out the heat when it gets cold, but it does also suck the electric power. It can heat the 42' of fifth wheel to 75 degrees with no supplemental furnace when it's in the teens outside.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
1500-watt, not 5100-watt. down to about 48-deg our electric fireplace plus our electric mattress pad is all the heat we need.

It's probably 5100 BTU's. That is about the normal output for a 1500 watt heater.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Already was corrected.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wildtoad wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
They are basically a 5100 watt electric heater that you do not have to get out, set on a hard surface and plug in...

You sure about that wattage? :?

the only thing I am sure of is that I am dyslexic sometimes !

.. should be 1500 . . post corrected...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you only have 30 amp service youโ€™ll need to watch whatever else you use. But no different with other electric devices.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT