cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flipping Axle

Jethroish
Explorer
Explorer
Looking into having the axles flipped on my 30' gooseneck horse trailer. I need to raise the rear of the trailer 2 to 3 inches
Anyone done an axle flip and how much did it cost?
Don't let your work become your life.

2018 RAM 3500 Dually 4x4 crew cab

[purple]2015 Shadow Select 4 horse LQ w/slide out[/purple]
2021 Jayco JayFlight SLX 264BH
26 REPLIES 26

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
tewitt1949 wrote:
Some axles are made with camber (or caster, can't remember which) built in. The tires tip out on the top. The axles are bent upwards a little in the middle. Some axles are straight.

You don't "flip" the axles. You simply place the axle on the bottom of the springs. It's a stupid name!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Raising a trailer may make your AC units disappear. Be aware of the new height that will result before raising the unit.
As to the brake comment I hope they forgot the smiley face.
Puma 30RKSS

tewitt1949
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some axles are made with camber (or caster, can't remember which) built in. The tires tip out on the top. The axles are bent upwards a little in the middle. Some axles are straight.
Terry Witt

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I did the last flip on a Prowler 33' trailer. U BOLTS MADE IN L.A. from 4140 chrome moly. And grade 8 coupling nuts and ยฝ" hardened washers and pal nuts.

Jethroish
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda forgot about this thread. Never did the flip. Ended up with 2 broken shackle links. Bought a repair kit from eTrailer. The kit came with original length links and a set that was about 3/4 inch shorter. The shorter links raise the trailer a bit.
Don't let your work become your life.

2018 RAM 3500 Dually 4x4 crew cab

[purple]2015 Shadow Select 4 horse LQ w/slide out[/purple]
2021 Jayco JayFlight SLX 264BH

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
The sad part of that statement is that they are allowed to walk among us???
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
I've done a few "spring over axle" conversions. Flipping the axle is a no go. If you flip the axle, the tires rotate the wrong direction and then the brakes won't work

Bob, I can't tell if you're being funny, sarcastic or pedantic?

"Axle Flip" is commonly used to describe a trailer "spring over axle" conversion, has been for many many years.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I've done a few "spring over axle" conversions. Flipping the axle is a no go. If you flip the axle, the tires rotate the wrong direction and then the brakes won't work
Bob

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Working on a buddy's car years ago, he had it on cinder blocks. While we were standing there admiring our handiwork, one of the blocks just disintegrated.

Just say no to cinder blocks.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flipped axles on my FW in our driveway using cribbing.

Only use cribbing on a job where you have to go underneath the frame. Anything else can fail.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
As a dumb kid, I tried the cinder block thing and it exploded. Fortunately there was no harm or injury but I learned my lesson.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would never use any cinder block to support weight such a car or trailer. In high school we had a shop teacher do a demonstration. He placed a cinder block on the ground under a car, placed a hydraulic jack on top of the block and jacked the car up about 3 inches. He then tapped the cinder block with a very light weight hammer and the block shattered.
There is a reason that I have high end jack stands in my garage and will not ever use concrete blocks.
I will not apply for a Darwin Award.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
TakingThe5th wrote:
FYI-do not use cinder blocks on this project. They can crumble. Use boards.

I would not hesitate to use 8 x 8 x 16 cinder blocks on a temporary basis long as they are 2,000 psi or better, monolithic, oriented/stacked properly, (cells vertical) and you use 2 x 8 boards "on top, and, if necessary on the bottom" of the blocks before putting any load on the blocks. Don't stack the blocks more than 2 blocks high. Putting point loads on concrete (cinder blocks) is a horrible idea and will cause early failure. The soft wood distributes the loads over the full bearing surface of the block. Think about it. I've personally designed/built block retaining walls well over 30' high. Not a problem as long as there are no point loads and you handle the lateral/overturning moments. That said, if you can't do that with confidence, just use jack stands or solid wood blocks.

Chum lee

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 32' 1970 airstream and plan on flipping it in this same manner. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is it doable? Need more ground clearance so I can hunt with the renovated rig.