cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas leak on Atwood 8531-I’ve dclp

oldbubblehead
Explorer
Explorer
Can the valve leak gas without furnace being on?
15 REPLIES 15

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
delete
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I have experienced 2 propane leaks where the copper line cracked at the flair.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Did u solve it?

The furnace has a "soleniod" valve on it. Those are operated with electricity, and can leak. I wanna say they are about $40 or so, and can be replaced, so if the unit is old this could be a likely source of the leak, very hard to find with soap bubbles.

What is this red spray mentioned previously?

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
On an older trailer I had, my dad said he could smell the propane when the furnace was running. Later I found the furnace shut-off valve was leaking through the valve stem. It was worse when I pushed down on the valve stem. I shut off the propane at the cylinder. Since I was running the generator for his CPAP I plugged in a small ceramic heater to keep us warm the rest of the night.

oldbubblehead
Explorer
Explorer
Received new valve assembly for the furnace and installed. Tested outside RV first. No leaks detected and no gas smell. Started furnace ok.

MrWizard
Gas leak detector spray
Order online,
RV store,
Hardware store
Red stuff in finger pump spray bottle
Better than soapy water
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the 8531 furnace could be leaking at gas input on far right. With all my 8531 "issues" no propane leaks in the furnace itself--but:

Did have gas leak from failed valve in the WH (valve was stuck open) plus there is also the gas input on the far left (on my WH)

Since the OP has his WH above the furnace, and propane is heavier than air, it could be coming from the WH?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Detector-Portable-Combustible-Explosive/dp/B07FSVCSSL/ref=pd_aw_vtp_469_2/132-9171025-7416629?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07FSVCSSL&pd_rd_r=86ac18b8-895a-46ed-8e76-f6b077c1068e&pd_rd_w=b1RSB&pd_rd_wg=JHhKu&pf_rd_p=16f3f206-b34a-49c6-afa1-8572cbe946bf&pf_rd_r=86NKQ1GCP4C712HGVBSS&psc=1&refRID=86NKQ1GCP4C712HGVBSS
Cheap knock off one.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Bubble size will be dependent on the leak size. And yes it can be easilly missed if not soapy enough or applied throughout. Smell, is the giveaway. Check all the lines also, after checking the fittings. Good idea to tighten the fittings also, then check for again. You can turn off the propane, tighten it up , then see if you still have a smell. Amazon has knock off leakatoers, there not expensive but i have no idea how well the work. The good ones are like 300$
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV LP SYSTEM is only .39 psi (11"WC)

So bubbles would be very small but odor can be very noticeable

Gas valves can leak thru
So you can check using SOAPY solution on connections/fittings to gas valve valve but furnace side of gas valve not so much

Bubbles can be used on fridge/water heater gas valves cause those are accessible W/O disassembly
SOAPY solution NEEDS to be thoroughly rinsed off

Gas Leak Detector best for checking furnace gas valve
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Might consider taking the RV into commercial propane dealer - have them fill your tank and ask them to check for leaks. In my area they would find/fix leaks for free.
Kevin

oldbubblehead
Explorer
Explorer
Water heater above but don’t detect any gas there.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The bubbles will be very small? Is the solution very soapy?
Is there other propane items close by? Expand your search!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

oldbubblehead
Explorer
Explorer
Don’t see bubbles but detect gas in that area.