cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good quality steel trailer wheels?

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
I need ONE more steel spoke wheel 15x6 to have a set of halfway decent wheels after changing suspension. Went thru 8 wheels to find the first 4 that where halfway straight.

I ruined a tire on the last trip and now really want to get a reliable wheel/tire for the spare. I talked to a company that owns one of the brands and asked if he could get me a good wheel and he gave me a surprisingly honest "no". Said a few months ago that brought a pallet into the shop and went thru every wheel and only found a few halfway acceptable.

I can't be the only one fighting this battle. Has anyone had good luck with a particular brand on a recent purchase where the wheels were round and true?

thanks
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13
6 REPLIES 6

map40
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a trailer I gave up and change the rims to regular automotive rims and tires to match. No more problems.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
As you say, I know what NOT to buy. I'm looking for guidance on what brands you have found to be acceptable quality.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
A brief bit of googling came up with at least one other choice, Martin Wheel Co. I didn't look for more.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
TundraTower wrote:
Dexstar is what I have now. Went thru 8 to find 4 usable in 2017. Now debating whether to go down that rabbit hole again.

I had my local tire shop order rims, don't have any idea about brand, never had ANY trouble with them, going on 10 yrs of use.

I think you already have your answer to the problem, DON'T BUY ANYMORE DEXSTARS.

Plenty of other rim manufacturers out there and obviously Dexstar does not care about quality if they are willing to "sift" through skids of junk rims in order to find a couple of sellable rims.

Sometimes higher priced big name brands do not have any better quality.

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
Dexstar is what I have now. Went thru 8 to find 4 usable in 2017. Now debating whether to go down that rabbit hole again.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The Dexstar brand is made in USA, don't know about the current quality.