cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

group 65 vs group 31 battery for mtr hm maxx brand

desertratt1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1997 Beaver Monterey it has been stored for a few years in RV park in white mtns az. I am up here to try get motorhome back to Tucson and looks like all the batteries are shot. I have two napa 7236 batteries group 31 and have threaded post. I have 4 6 volt orielly batteries gs100tj same as a gs2 they say 115 min on them. I have had excellent luck with the maxx batteries from walmart got 10 years out of the pair on my dodge cummins. I called the local walmart they havee a group 65 not a group 31 like the napa battery and it has regular post not threaded post. I was thinking of just getting post adapters and buying these as they have 3 year full replacement warranty i called napa they have 18 mo and some only have 12 mo. Plus walmarts are everywhere. Same with the GS2 they are 98.00 oh and so is group 65battery 98.00 . Any advice or thoughts on this ?

Thanks in advance..
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Though the group size is interesting and does indicate a lot of things Lead Acid batteries come in several "Flavors" as it were.
For example
Flooded wet (You add Distilled water from time to time)
Maintenance free (No adding anything)
AGM. (Likewise plus some other advantages)

None of that matters to this post

Another division
Starting
MARINE/deep cycle or MARINE/rv
DEEP CYCLE

Pay attention to case in this part (UPPER/lower)
Starting batteries are designed to put out a lot of current but not all that any amp hours. They like to be 80% full or better..

MARING/deep cycle or rv are starting batteries but with a nod to Deep cycle, they should be kept above about 75% State of charge

DEEP CYCLE can go down to 50 ... Some lower

THe GC-2's are likely DEEP CYCLE (GC = Golf Car)
THe rest are not.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those group 31s are commercial starting batteries. They are readily available for a reasonable price at virtually any auto parts place. Their cranking power will put a group 65 to shame.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

desertratt1
Explorer
Explorer
i want to thank everyone for their input i went with the group 31 die hard commercial batteries as walmart was out of batteries so just decided i needed to move forward.

rick

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
worry more about the tires,and wal mart batteries will do.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Group 65 is automatically an engine starting battery. First consideration: Engine type Diesel need glow plug then engine cranking ability. 2nd Life in Minneaota is polar opposite to say sothern Texas.

The 65 is a low profile battery like a group 78. Low and wide. I would recommend time with a tape measure and then make sure the battery post polarity and location agrees with the length and orientation of your battery cables.

MrWizard
I have used screw in adapters
I have some in my electrical tool bag right now
They work fine,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Group 65 is a fairly common start battery. Group 31 is more often deep cycle.

So yes get a 65 for the chassis and a 31 for the house. Adapters are fine if needed.

Birdnst
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have information handy, however look up group sizes due to the fact that is the physical dimensions of the battery. LxWxH
If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Costco or Sam's Club.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
After a few years of storage itโ€™s not a mystery why your batteries are shot. Not clear whether you are buying house batteries, engine starting batteries or both. They are different. Are the MHโ€™s tires safe?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad