cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda eu3000 overload running carrier air v for 5 minutes

pbbrgr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a carrier air v air conditioner on top of my 16 foot carson fun runner. My honda eu 3000 starts the air conditioner no problem. But after 5 to 7 minutes the generator trips the overload alarm and shuts down.

Any ideas on what might be causing this issue? I must admit I dont know much about generators, trailer electronics, or generators. The generator is a 2004 and I am the second owner. Estimating the hours of use is impossible (no hours meter). It seems to run good and doesnt have a problem with the microwave. Although I have never run the microwave more than a couple of minutes at a time. When I run the air I keep everything off ie microwave, refrigerator, lights, etc.

Thanks,

Paul
100 REPLIES 100

pbbrgr
Explorer
Explorer
I think long term I am going to go with two small generators that can be paralleled. I would only need to use one during the winter. I could alternate them. The EU 3000 is just to heavy for one person to lift.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Sell your Honda Eu3000i and buy a newer, higher serial number model. Problem solved. Or sell the Eu3000i and get a pair of Eu2000i's, one of them a Companion model, and a pairing cable. Craigslist.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
edit: double post

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
As others stated turn off other electrical items such as converter which converts 120 ac to 12v dc and charges the battery. Don't forget to turn off electric hot water heater, which uses huge power. Also to make it easier on the generator you can buy a hard start kit for the ac. Its just a larger capacitor that charges up then kicks the ac over.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

pbbrgr
Explorer
Explorer
pbbrgr wrote:
robert_at_honda wrote:
Honda guy here...

Let's check the frame serial number on the generator. Those in the range EZGF-1023302 through EZGF-1120322 were part of Service Bulletin issued by Honda way back in 2005.

The described symptom is "The electronic breaker trips in hot weather when the generator is powering a heavy load that cycles on and off, such as an air conditioner."

The red overload LED will light-up, the internal circuit protector will engaged, power from the generator will stop, but the engine will continue to run. It may take up to 15 minutes for the (thermal) protector to reset (engine switch must be switched OFF).

The good news is Honda developed an improved inverter with better over-voltage protection function to eliminate unnecessary breaker tripping. The bad news is the new inverter is quite pricy ($539.25 list) and the regular warranty applies to replacements; most in the affected serial number range have been out of warranty for many, many years now.

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Robert@Honda

Wow, that's very interesting. I'm going to check that ASAP. Which would be in the morning. The generator is a 2004.

I checked. The serial number on my generator is: ezgf 1087909. That puts it in the range for the service bulletin.

pbbrgr
Explorer
Explorer
robert_at_honda wrote:
Honda guy here...

Let's check the frame serial number on the generator. Those in the range EZGF-1023302 through EZGF-1120322 were part of Service Bulletin issued by Honda way back in 2005.

The described symptom is "The electronic breaker trips in hot weather when the generator is powering a heavy load that cycles on and off, such as an air conditioner."

The red overload LED will light-up, the internal circuit protector will engaged, power from the generator will stop, but the engine will continue to run. It may take up to 15 minutes for the (thermal) protector to reset (engine switch must be switched OFF).

The good news is Honda developed an improved inverter with better over-voltage protection function to eliminate unnecessary breaker tripping. The bad news is the new inverter is quite pricy ($539.25 list) and the regular warranty applies to replacements; most in the affected serial number range have been out of warranty for many, many years now.

- - -
Robert@Honda

Wow, that's very interesting. I'm going to check that ASAP. Which would be in the morning. The generator is a 2004.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
After following this post I got up and cleaned both AC's and inside filters... A few dust bunnies and spyder webs but no real dirt. Did a good job cleaning the covers though!

One thing about the Carrier that is fairly unique- the condensation is piped out to the condenser, where a "slinger ring" fan picks the water up and throws it on the coils. In very humid areas, it can grow a sold block of slime- in moderate climates, the moisture makes the fins trap dirt pretty well. To clean, or even see this, you must take the thing apart quite a bit on the roof (shroud and shroud around condenser).

While all air conditioners should be cleaned regularly, the standard height Carrier is particularly bad because of the condensate.
-- Chris Bryant

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
After following this post I got up and cleaned both AC's and inside filters... A few dust bunnies and spyder webs but no real dirt. Did a good job cleaning the covers though!
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
red31 wrote:
What's the cost of annual or more often a/c maintenance? For most it is DIY.
red31 wrote:
Would you ignore a/c maintenance for years?

Would you learn how to take the cover off and clean it?
Same answer as before:

I get your point and I agree.

However, my post is referring to the inefficiency of some of the troubleshooting processes being presented in this thread.

robert_at_honda
Explorer
Explorer
Honda guy here...

- - -
Robert@Honda

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
road-runner wrote:
Capacitors are not being utilized after 5 minutes of operation.
The run capacitor is in play whenever the air conditioner is running, and a bad run capacitor could very well cause this exact failure. Since there are several other possible causes of this exact failure, I'm still of the opinion that isolating to the generator or the load via measurements is the logical first step. But if the OP just wants to try something, Chris' suggestion of cleaning the air conditioner is a good thing to do anyway and is backed by a lot of actual experience.

Yup, sorry my mind was stuck on the hard start cap in the previous post and forgot about the Run cap.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
Might be time instead to pair a set of Honda EU2000i's for the full 4000 watts at start, and see if that resolves the problem. Seems like you are running out of amps for some reason.

He isn't having the issue at start up...

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Chris, you have many years of experience dealing with the RV public on these types of matters. Maybe this is the best approach for the OP keeping in mind his level of expertise and availability of tools. However, for me, I'd have a tough time doing it this way--but, I understand--lol!

Bottom line, I hope the OP gets his problem resolved.

The thing is- your method is really the only good way to diagnose, and as such is the only way to be sure, along with building troubleshooting experience. My remarks are a shortcut given the symptoms and particular items involved, but you are correct in that it could wind up being an hour wasted, which is not free.

The OP would be far ahead to buy a meter, learn how to use it, and start at square one. It wouldn't take much time to figure out for certain whether the air is drawing too much current, or the genset is overloading below its rating.

On the other hand, the air probably needs cleaning anyway ๐Ÿ™‚
-- Chris Bryant

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
The air temp and height above sea level might have something to do with it plus the age of the gen set. Just as an example my 2000 will run the AC just fine at sea level and 80 degrees but go to 2000 feet and over 90 degrees and it will not work for over five minutes. I know you have a 3000 but just a heads up. 3000 should do the job but ???
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

pbbrgr
Explorer
Explorer
Part of the problem is I'm in Anaheim and the Trailer is in apple valley storage. Again I don't like pulling it up and down cajon pass. So trying all the suggested fixes has to wait until I'm out there.