cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water heater pilot out light

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The pilot out light is on even with the switch in the off position. Water heater will not light or even click. Left off for awhile still the same. Any thoughts of what the problem is?
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

5 REPLIES 5

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Is it working okay now, or did the light burn out in the switch?:)

Light was on all the time even with the switch off. Left off overnight in the off position, when I got out light was off and worked fine. Maybe it reset itself.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Is it working okay now, or did the light burn out in the switch?:)
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I left the switch off overnight and the light was off in the morning. Seems to be working ok now.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The just about has to be a short somewhere- the indicator light is powered by the circuit board, which gets its power through the switch. Unless the switch is bad, and not shutting off. You could test this by unplugging the circuit board and seeing if the light goes out.
-- Chris Bryant

talotto
Explorer
Explorer
First try opening the cover on the hot water heater, check for blockage in the fire chamber (spiders/webs; dirt daubers/nests) and clean all that out. Next, take a pencil eraser and remove and clean all the connections, reinsert. Some spray with NoOx or similar contact cleaner (RadioShack).

If that doesn't work, check the vendor website, I know Atwood has a great troubleshooting tool. The thermocouples or thermostat sensors are most likely to go bad.
KG5PDS
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2004 HD Heritage Softail
2016 Jeep Wrangler
College Station, TX