cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to run exterior cable for wired backup camera?

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm planning to use a hard wired backup camera for my RV.
There is NO CONSTANT DC voltage available at the RV back and I want to enable the camera at will from the truck cab.

I've done this before on a previous camper but think that I could make a cleaner, neater job of it on my new camper.

My question is regarding exterior cable management.
What might be the best way to mount the video cable, running from the rear of the RV to the front?
(Approximately 27 feet).
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats
17 REPLIES 17

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I used a license plate camera instead of the one that came with the monitor. Used the power from the license plate light and I have to have the running lights on to get a monitor signal. The monitor is a little dash mounted thing that I plug into the 12 volt dash outlet. I ran the cable inside the rv under the couch behind the closet through the bathroom cabinet behind the toilet under the shower etc to the rear floor wher I drilled a small hole for the video wire. That wire just attaches to the camera and is visible. But it did the trick for very little investment. I only use the system when I think I need the extra visibility.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Just don't forget to turn off the monitor when not towing. Ours automatically goes blank if it can't find the camera, forgot about it and it constantly looking for the camera drew down the truck battery so low we couldn't jump it with a pack, had to leave another vehicle hooked up for ~20 minutes to get it to start. I'm worried it toasted the battery as it's a PITA to replace, but it's been good for the last 3 months since this happened so I think I'm good, glad that lead acid is so forgiving!

A good way to ensure that would be to wire the monitor in to a circuit that's only active when the key is in run. On some vehicles, the lighter socket on the dash qualifies; on others, it's live all the time.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just don't forget to turn off the monitor when not towing. Ours automatically goes blank if it can't find the camera, forgot about it and it constantly looking for the camera drew down the truck battery so low we couldn't jump it with a pack, had to leave another vehicle hooked up for ~20 minutes to get it to start. I'm worried it toasted the battery as it's a PITA to replace, but it's been good for the last 3 months since this happened so I think I'm good, glad that lead acid is so forgiving!
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
I'm planning to use a hard wired backup camera for my RV.
My question is regarding exterior cable management.
What might be the best way to mount the video cable, running from the rear of the RV to the front?
(Approximately 27 feet).

Here's what I did.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe 3M makes stick on plastic wire retainer clips.

My neighbour uses them when attaching remote camera wires to farm machines.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Some back up cameras us the coax not only for the video signal but also for the 12V power. Thus you don't have to find or install power in the rear of the RV. Just power up the monitor and you're good to go. Just run the coax in split loom as already mentioned.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Some back up cameras us the coax not only for the video signal but also for the 12V power. Thus you don't have to find or install power in the rear of the RV. Just run the coax in split loom as already mentioned.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

morley
Explorer
Explorer
SJ-Chris wrote:
I know you are specifically looking for a wired backup camera, but I can't help but throw this out there.....

You can get a wireless backup camera and monitor for ~$150. Since you probably want to mount the camera up high, you likely (right??) have rear upper running lights. You can tap off power from those and mount the camera right under the running lights. Then, to "turn on the camera" from up in the cab, all you need to do is have your running lights on. (Personally, I always drive with the lights on just for extra safety/visibility).

Time to complete the job...less than 1 hour.

-Chris

This is exactly how we did it on our unit also and it works fine, camera just below centre light on the fifth wheel back wired into running light above, on and off with truck running lights. Excellent positioning for rear views, backing up etc.
Only time camera is less effective is if you are backing into the shadows in a site.
With the camera aimed properly we can even see our bike rack on the rear of the trailer while travelling.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use this until you get to the bottom where you can follow the brake/turn signal wiring. It looks clean, easy to install, and can handle the elements.
https://www.amazon.com/Concealer-Channel-Paintable-Ethernet-CC05/dp/B0811X1RVQ/ref=asc_df_B0811X1RVQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416875525560&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8762087837442943979&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9051682&hvtargid=pla-856056126624&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=100759324264&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416875525560&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8762087837442943979&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9051682&hvtargid=pla-856056126624

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, i wired mine to the running lights also. Makes a world of difference for changing lanes. With even a cheaper camera , you can see enough. Even at night in storms, you can see the headlights behind you. Tbh, got it as a backup camera, but never use it for that. Just to used to the mirrors. But it still has a purpose.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
SJ-Chris wrote:
I know you are specifically looking for a wired backup camera, but I can't help but throw this out there.....

You can get a wireless backup camera and monitor for ~$150. Since you probably want to mount the camera up high, you likely (right??) have rear upper running lights. You can tap off power from those and mount the camera right under the running lights. Then, to "turn on the camera" from up in the cab, all you need to do is have your running lights on. (Personally, I always drive with the lights on just for extra safety/visibility).

-Chris

I like this idea. We tow and I'd like to keep an eye on the tow vehicle AND have the truck power the camera. This would work.
I'll think on it for a while. . .lots of other good suggestions to consider.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I tap off the bath fan (I have a rear bath). Mount a on/off switch near the fan with a pilot light. Run the cable through the vent cover.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you mean to use it as a rear view camera besides just for backing up, you can switch the power to the camera or leave the camera on and switch the display.

Our camper has a "porch light" by the back door that can be left on to tap the camera's power into for constant 12v.

I don't know a good way to get the video wire to the display in the truck. I have a Hopkins wifi camera that works great and displays to your "device" when you select the Hopkins APP. You just put the "device" on your rear view mirror with elastic bands and good to go.

This one has those two guide lines you can select when backing up or leave off for driving. The camera also has a light you can select. The wifi works up to 40 ft so not enough for a 5er, but could use a booster in the front of the trailer. No issue with a truck camper for distance.

There is a time delay which you have to get used to, so you see a car starting to pass and he is already beside you. something to do with "processing time". I don't know if that happens with a wired system.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer

-Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs